Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Referral Program issues with Kickstarter are just "mixed signals"

http://www.mmogames.com/gamenews/confusion-spawned-ashes-creation-referral-program-report/

Link to the full story above.

An update on the story would later be made, with further clarification from Kickstarter’s Director of Communications David Gallagher:

“The information I gave you is accurate, except, as I recently learned, the part where I said that this creator had excluded Kickstarter pledges from their referral program.

[Intrepid Studios] told us that Kickstarter pledges would be removed from the program, making it entirely separate from the Kickstarter project, which we saw as an acceptable solution. It appears that this did not happen. [Intrepid Studios] said this week that based on [their] communication with us, [they] believed it was fine to continue to include pledges. That was not correct.”

So in the end the referral program was against Kickstarter rules, although since the KS is over they can not really do anything about it except clarify their own language in the ToS.

I do not believe the referral program is a scam but it is an albatross hanging around Intrepid Studios neck and is not needed.  This will not be the last time the referral program is brought up in a shady light and will be a problem of IS's making continuing forward.  I personally do not understand the level of blind buy in they have with the system and the monetization need.

The article is interesting but all in all a little flat as I would like to hear IS's side of things.  Again I do not believe the referral system is a scam, it just leaves the impression of one.  Especially when you have people potentially generating money (though not very much from the look of it) from spamming "referral links" everywhere, which is what scammers with referral links due.

Comments

• Options
    Why did you post the same thread like 5 times?
  • Options
    Another post about this? Could it be all failed posts are coming up now or something? xD
  • Options
    I think their referral program is fare and rewarding and will help blossom the community into a mega beast powerhouse. Why do people feel the need to keep saying its a scam.  The players are the ones that get to rake in the rewards. I mean if you look at if from a money stand point even with one person getting a discount off their sub time the company makes a little more money for having two people and the end game user "the player" gets a little discount and another person playing in the community. To me this is a win win, so what if Intrepid gets a little more money? Keep in mind if they didn't do the referral program they would make more money and the players get no benefit. 

at the end of the day they need to make money. In the end we will get small discounts, more players and the company will make the money to keep developing an outstanding product for our little addicted minds to soak in.
  • Options
    The OP is saying they don't think the referral system is a scam - but the information we were given about the KS packages being part of the referral balance was false therefore giving the impression of one (even though we all know it's all poop and the referral system is fabulous even though I've sadly not been able to convert anyone QQ) 
    Anyway this is one of several threads of this and if a mod could close it and stuff that be awesome x

• Options
    The original post was posted awhile ago. I think the forum is just bugging out and repeating posts. It's most likely not the op attempting to spam. 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
     Why do people feel the need to keep saying its a scam.  The players are the ones that get to rake in the rewards.

Lots of people are haters about anything. Lots of people are ignorant. Lots of people believe other people's opinion because it is easier than doing research of their own.

Because like making babies, no license is required to post.

Because the Internet.