Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Suggestion: [Make Oceans Great Again]

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited June 2017 in Ashes of Creation Design
I haven't heard much about the future of the waters for AoC so I figured I'd make a post highlighting a number of the things i'd like to see implemented in the game. As an old veteran of Archeage(which I dare say was THE best MMO out there before pay to win took over) much of what I suggest comes as inspiration from that game. Without further ado, the suggestions:
--------------------------------------------
THE OCEAN'S TALE - A vast body of uncharted waters filled with different islands, fishing, and treasure.

Separating either different continents or even just different parts of the mainland, the ocean provides an additional form of travel connecting cities through their ports. Trade goods brought across the ocean are significantly more valuable than trade goods brought by land, but come with significantly more risk. When traveling by land, you have the ability to tread alongside your goods, hire guards, and fight with the gear you brought. The waters however, do not have the same pleasantries as the mainland does.
Planning becomes more important than ever when traversing the seas as there is much more that could go wrong. First, you need a ship to carry your goods. Second, you need a crew to man the ship. Third, you need a way to defend your ship. Finally, you need supplies to survive the journey.
When at sea, you run the risk of encountering many types of obstacles from giant sharks and krakens to dangerous rocks and shallow waters. Sharks may attack unsuspecting boats looking for a quick meal so it's important to come armed with harpoons or bait to lure away the sharks. Changes in the tides or the environment may close off certain routes as the water becomes too shallow to travel through or eroding rocks may fall and block off routes through certain areas. Possibly the most dangerous enemy of all will be the pirates that roam the waters. Whether players or NPCs, pirates sail the seas with the malicious intent of sinking ships and plundering their loot. As a pirate, the ocean is your place to explore and call home. It may be seem like a profitable venture to become a pirate, but your life will be filled with bounty hunters and friends whom you cannot trust.
For many, the ocean will be the place they spend the majority of their time. Some may choose to become treasure hunters who sail in search of sunken and buried treasure hidden throughout the sea. Others may choose the more quiet life of fishing in search of that one legendary catch that can set them for life. The ocean has something to offer everyone whatever may be your fancy.
I will be highlighting some of the ways i'd like to see the above features implemented below:

SHIPS:
To travel the ocean you must work towards first obtaining the plans to build your vassal. Once you've gotten the plans for a certain ship, you must gather the materials required to build the ship and start construction at one of the ports. 
There are many types of ships from small and cheap ones who's only purpose is to travel quickly through the water to large and expensive ones that come armed with a dozen cannons. In addition, there can be trade ships to hold your goods but with little defenses requiring other ships to help defend those. On top of those previous ships, there can be fishing boats to house a small number of larger fish found in the deep waters worth a lot or others that house a large number of smaller fish found throughout the waters. For treasure hunters, they may have a radar on their ship to search the bottom of the waters for possible sunken treasure that can contain a variety of things. Every part of your ships should be upgradeable from the body to the cannons to the sails. Some cannons may shoot faster while others shoot further. Some sails may have a higher top speed but a slower acceleration while others may have a slightly lower top speed but better maneuverability. The different parts of a ship should also have the ability to occasionally break down or take damage until they need repair (even while at sea). Having a sail rip or a rudder snap while transporting goods could leave a boat vulnerable and cause groups to regroup and defend until the part is fixed giving some more action at sea.
Finally, when a ship is destroyed it will drop everything it is currently holding and its crew will be cast into the waters to fend for themselves. To repair it, one must take remains of the ship that is in their inventory to the port to be slowly repaired for a price.

While at sea, the type of ship you captain will fare differently. For larger vessels, they will have little trouble traversing through all kinds of weather and currents. However, these ships will require a larger crew than that of smaller ships (whether be real players or NPCs for hire). When the seas get rough, smaller boats will get pushed around, slowly damaged, and possibly wrecked all together. These smaller boats have the advantage of speed and control but lack the strength to survive harsher climates. It is possible that you can travel across the ocean in a small and fast boat, but you never know when the weather will change and leave you swimming with the fishes. 
^(This idea was Megs')^

TRADING:
As the ocean brings many dangers and requirements with it, goods transported through the sea should be the most valuable. Some people might opt to transport just a few goods at a time with them to minimize the loss they could receive while traveling in small numbers. Meanwhile, others will gather their entire guild to help protect 2/3 completely full ships at one time to make a HUGE profit to split amongst everyone. For pirates and rival guilds, spys and lookouts can be found throughout the waters to interrupt another group/guild's trade run and take the goods for themselves to profit from. As well, players may be recruited to defend one's trade run so everyone profits in the end. Some ships may house more goods than others but at the cost of speed.

PVP:
The ocean should be a vast and dangerous domain for individuals to traverse alone while also a profitable and engaging venture. For those traveling in small numbers, they should be wary of people traveling in fast boats to surround and engage them. As well, for unsuspecting fishermen and broken down vessels, individuals can sneak through the water to board one's ship and take the helm for themselves (possibly through submarines or tamed sea life). When boarded on a ship, pvp becomes close quarters normal pvp combat. When fighting from ship to ship, one's abilities and levels don't matter as much since what matters is the strength of a ship's cannons and accuracy of its gunners. Having individuals man the sails, anchors, and cannons will provide players of all levels and gear a place in a groups ocean runs.

FISHING:
For many people (like myself), fishing is more than just a hobby. It runs in our blood and pulls us to the waters in search of that one legendary catch of a lifetime. There is something about finding a nice fishing spot, casting out your line, and just sitting back while you wait for a bite that seems to call to us. Fishing should be more than just a tiny side feature as most MMO's have it. While fishing should be a feature for even the most hardcore fisherman to spend their whole day, it should also be something that anyone can pick up and try out when they desire.

Starting at the coasts, players should have the option of gathering bait and a starting fishing pole to begin their career. There they will learn how the fishing mechanic works and can start catching fishing right away. As the player levels up and gathers better materials, they should have the option of crafting, upgrading, or purchasing a better fishing rod with a higher chance of success of catching fish. To fish on the shores and in lakes should be much simpler and easier for players to pick up and begin fishing. It should take little player interaction to fish in the beginning as this type of fishing is more of a cast and wait type approach. As one starts to branch out and explore different forms of fishing such as fly fishing or deep sea fishing, the actual process of fishing should become more complex and require more player interaction. For example, if one catches a shark, to reel it in will take a bout of focus and skill as the catch will most certainly fight back and try not to get caught. 

Depending on the biome and area where you fish, there should be a variety of fish species to catch whether inland within the ponds and lakes or even on the coastline of the ocean. Fish native to one area of the map should provide bonuses that relate to that area such as lava fish providing cold resistance or ice fish providing heat resistance. In addition, the type of fish one is able to hook should depend on the bait used by the fisherman. Obviously, the better and rarer baits used may result in a larger or rarer fish. However, if a catch manages to break the line, get off the hook, or eat the bait without being hooked the bait should be consumed making higher end fishing rewarding but risky. 

[MORE TO BE ADDED SOON]

Comments

• Options
    Fellow salty sea dog from AA. I agree about the early game. The alpha was damn near a perfect game until they started messing with it.

What server we're you on at release?
  • Options
    I think I remember Steven saying that he was a big fan of AA's water content.
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    Fellow salty sea dog from AA. I agree about the early game. The alpha was damn near a perfect game until they started messing with it.

Like a lot of  games out there present and past, they don't know when to leave well enough alone.
  • Options
    Karthos said:

Like a lot of  games out there present and past, they don't know when to leave well enough alone.
    No truer words have been spoken
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Karthos said:
    Karthos said:

No truer words have been spoken
    I completely agree and miss those early days in the alpha. But I believe I played on Kyrios on release if that was what it was called. I just remember the old days of Bushi and a lot of other large clans running the alpha and having huge wars in the ocean. Those were the good ol' days.
  • Options
    I personally can't wait for more information on naval travel and adventure. I sincerely hope that naval combat (boat vs boat) and combat on boats (commandeering a ship by boarding an enemy ship and then fighting normally) are both featured, as only then can piracy truly exist. Moreover, it creates value to having a smaller faster vessel over a larger, slower, but more powerful ship. The variety would keep the ocean interesting. I also hope that sea creatures could both be fought and potentially tamed. That would be very cool. The ocean opens so much opportunity. So glad that the kickstarter was reached for the sea features!! :)
  • Options
    c00s said:
    I personally can't wait for more information on naval travel and adventure. I sincerely hope that naval combat (boat vs boat) and combat on boats (commandeering a ship by boarding an enemy ship and then fighting normally) are both featured, as only then can piracy truly exist. Moreover, it creates value to having a smaller faster vessel over a larger, slower, but more powerful ship. The variety would keep the ocean interesting. I also hope that sea creatures could both be fought and potentially tamed. That would be very cool. The ocean opens so much opportunity. So glad that the kickstarter was reached for the sea features!! :)
    I've got to say that from my experience playing archeage, everything minus the sea life made for an absolutely immersive and thrilling experience. Everything about the boats and combat you described were features in that game and man did they really work exceptionally. The mix of combat styles and boat styles complemented ocean exploration perfectly and made the naval experience one i'll never forget. I plan to continuously update this post with more in depth explanations of certain things to help guide the developers in creating that experience we desire. Feel free to comment your own ideas or things you disagree with in the future because I hope to encompass the aspirations of the whole community within this post. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    'enCOMPASS' I see what you did there you naughty-cal son of a seabiscuit. Thanks for explaining what AA stood for, I had absolutely no clue when seeing people refer to it in earlier comments. I'll be sure to keep an eye on this space to provide more feedback and opinions as and when they arise, but so far so good me' swabbie!
  • Options
    I can't remember if I mentioned this elsewhere or not... but I strongly feel that the ocean should have different levels of difficulty: 

So if your vessel is too frail there's a chance that all hands will be lost at sea, but having said that it could be a lot lighter and speed around the coastlines a lot faster.

And if your vessel has to be bigger, you should have to NEED crew to sail it, be it other players, or npc's that you hire.

And under the ocean? 
    *taking bets now as to how long it will be before the first underwater race is discovered*
    I'm going to go for the games first anniversary after launch.

Deep water light fish with bio luminescence! 

Dream with me mi hearties!

• Options
    Megs said:
    I can't remember if I mentioned this elsewhere or not... but I strongly feel that the ocean should have different levels of difficulty: 

So if your vessel is too frail there's a chance that all hands will be lost at sea, but having said that it could be a lot lighter and speed around the coastlines a lot faster.

And if your vessel has to be bigger, you should have to NEED crew to sail it, be it other players, or npc's that you hire.

And under the ocean? 
    *taking bets now as to how long it will be before the first underwater race is discovered*
    I'm going to go for the games first anniversary after launch.

Deep water light fish with bio luminescence! 

Dream with me mi hearties!

I do really like the idea of certain vessels faring not as well as others in deeper waters. I think possibly having random changes in the weather or current can make deep sea travel more risky and difficult for those in weaker vessels. NEEDING a crew for a large vessel is something I had not considered and really like the idea of so i'll be adding that to the post as well.

As for under the ocean, I haven't gotten to add that bit to the post yet but you can bet your stars that bio luminescence fish is going to be on there! 

Aye, thar be a fine number of suggestions you have provided. Look forward to seeing them on the main post shortly.
  • Options
    @whitenoize  Aw thanks :D

• Options
    I haven't heard much about the future of the waters for AoC so I figured I'd make a post highlighting a number of the things i'd like to see implemented in the game. As an old veteran of Archeage(which I dare say was THE best MMO out there before pay to win took over) much of what I suggest comes as inspiration from that game. Without further ado, the suggestions:
    THE OCEAN'S TALE - A vast body of uncharted waters filled with different islands, fishing, and treasure.

Separating either different continents or even just different parts of the mainland, the ocean provides an additional form of travel connecting cities through their ports. Trade goods brought across the ocean are significantly more valuable than trade goods brought by land, but come with significantly more risk. When traveling by land, you have the ability to tread alongside your goods, hire guards, and fight with the gear you brought. The waters however, do not have the same pleasantries as the mainland does.
    Planning becomes more important than ever when traversing the seas as there is much more that could go wrong. First, you need a ship to carry your goods. Second, you need a crew to man the ship. Third, you need a way to defend your ship. Finally, you need supplies to survive the journey.
    When at sea, you run the risk of encountering many types of obstacles from giant sharks and krakens to dangerous rocks and shallow waters. Sharks may attack unsuspecting boats looking for a quick meal so it's important to come armed with harpoons or bait to lure away the sharks. Changes in the tides or the environment may close off certain routes as the water becomes too shallow to travel through or eroding rocks may fall and block off routes through certain areas. Possibly the most dangerous enemy of all will be the pirates that roam the waters. Whether players or NPCs, pirates sail the seas with the malicious intent of sinking ships and plundering their loot. As a pirate, the ocean is your place to explore and call home. It may be seem like a profitable venture to become a pirate, but your life will be filled with bounty hunters and friends whom you cannot trust.
    For many, the ocean will be the place they spend the majority of their time. Some may choose to become treasure hunters who sail in search of sunken and buried treasure hidden throughout the sea. Others may choose the more quiet life of fishing in search of that one legendary catch that can set them for life. The ocean has something to offer everyone whatever may be your fancy.
    I will be highlighting some of the ways i'd like to see the above features implemented below:

SHIPS:
    To travel the ocean you must work towards first obtaining the plans to build your vassal. Once you've gotten the plans for a certain ship, you must gather the materials required to build the ship and start construction at one of the ports. 
    There are many types of ships from small and cheap ones who's only purpose is to travel quickly through the water to large and expensive ones that come armed with a dozen cannons. In addition, there can be trade ships to hold your goods but with little defenses requiring other ships to help defend those. On top of those previous ships, there can be fishing boats to house a small number of larger fish found in the deep waters worth a lot or others that house a large number of smaller fish found throughout the waters. For treasure hunters, they may have a radar on their ship to search the bottom of the waters for possible sunken treasure that can contain a variety of things. Every part of your ships should be upgradeable from the body to the cannons to the sails. Some cannons may shoot faster while others shoot further. Some sails may have a higher top speed but a slower acceleration while others may have a slightly lower top speed but better maneuverability. The different parts of a ship should also have the ability to occasionally break down or take damage until they need repair (even while at sea). Having a sail rip or a rudder snap while transporting goods could leave a boat vulnerable and cause groups to regroup and defend until the part is fixed giving some more action at sea.
    Finally, when a ship is destroyed it will drop everything it is currently holding and its crew will be cast into the waters to fend for themselves. To repair it, one must take remains of the ship that is in their inventory to the port to be slowly repaired for a price.

While at sea, the type of ship you captain will fare differently. For larger vessels, they will have little trouble traversing through all kinds of weather and currents. However, these ships will require a larger crew than that of smaller ships (whether be real players or NPCs for hire). When the seas get rough, smaller boats will get pushed around, slowly damaged, and possibly wrecked all together. These smaller boats have the advantage of speed and control but lack the strength to survive harsher climates. It is possible that you can travel across the ocean in a small and fast boat, but you never know when the weather will change and leave you swimming with the fishes. 
    ^(This idea was Megs')^

TRADING:
    As the ocean brings many dangers and requirements with it, goods transported through the sea should be the most valuable. Some people might opt to transport just a few goods at a time with them to minimize the loss they could receive while traveling in small numbers. Meanwhile, others will gather their entire guild to help protect 2/3 completely full ships at one time to make a HUGE profit to split amongst everyone. For pirates and rival guilds, spys and lookouts can be found throughout the waters to interrupt another group/guild's trade run and take the goods for themselves to profit from. As well, players may be recruited to defend one's trade run so everyone profits in the end. Some ships may house more goods than others but at the cost of speed.

PVP:
    The ocean should be a vast and dangerous domain for individuals to traverse alone while also a profitable and engaging venture. For those traveling in small numbers, they should be wary of people traveling in fast boats to surround and engage them. As well, for unsuspecting fishermen and broken down vessels, individuals can sneak through the water to board one's ship and take the helm for themselves (possibly through submarines or tamed sea life). When boarded on a ship, pvp becomes close quarters normal pvp combat. When fighting from ship to ship, one's abilities and levels don't matter as much since what matters is the strength of a ship's cannons and accuracy of its gunners. Having individuals man the sails, anchors, and cannons will provide players of all levels and gear a place in a groups ocean runs.

FISHING:
    For many people (like myself), fishing is more than just a hobby. It runs in our blood and pulls us to the waters in search of that one legendary catch of a lifetime. There is something about finding a nice fishing spot, casting out your line, and just sitting back while you wait for a bite that seems to call to us. Fishing should be more than just a tiny side feature as most MMO's have it. While fishing should be a feature for even the most hardcore fisherman to spend their whole day, it should also be something that anyone can pick up and try out when they desire.

Starting at the coasts, players should have the option of gathering bait and a starting fishing pole to begin their career. There they will learn how the fishing mechanic works and can start catching fishing right away. As the player levels up and gathers better materials, they should have the option of crafting, upgrading, or purchasing a better fishing rod with a higher chance of success of catching fish. To fish on the shores and in lakes should be much simpler and easier for players to pick up and begin fishing. It should take little player interaction to fish in the beginning as this type of fishing is more of a cast and wait type approach. As one starts to branch out and explore different forms of fishing such as fly fishing or deep sea fishing, the actual process of fishing should become more complex and require more player interaction. For example, if one catches a shark, to reel it in will take a bout of focus and skill as the catch will most certainly fight back and try not to get caught. 

Depending on the biome and area where you fish, there should be a variety of fish species to catch whether inland within the ponds and lakes or even on the coastline of the ocean. Fish native to one area of the map should provide bonuses that relate to that area such as lava fish providing cold resistance or ice fish providing heat resistance. In addition, the type of fish one is able to hook should depend on the bait used by the fisherman. Obviously, the better and rarer baits used may result in a larger or rarer fish. However, if a catch manages to break the line, get off the hook, or eat the bait without being hooked the bait should be consumed making higher end fishing rewarding but risky. 

[MORE TO BE ADDED SOON]
    I may agree a little to much with this. Too much can be done to create such a vast game by using the ocean. I mean, there are no good pirate games out there so let me be a damn pirate for once!