Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Renewable Botany Resources

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited June 2017 in Ashes of Creation Design
Multi-question.  Will it be possible to deforest an area around a node?  Will Botany (and it's subcategories of Herbology and Dendrology) be a skill line we can use to help regrow plants and trees in the world?  Will such skills only be applicable to a Freehold? Will we be able to cross-breed plants to make hardier stock for better food or more resources per plant? I would expect the plants to grow over the seasons and be dormant in winter, which leads to the last question - Will we be able to build greenhouses?

Comments

• Options
    This kind of thing has always interested me because it's so immersive. I really enjoyed Life Is Feudal for this very reason.

From the info from Intrepid so far, it looks like you should be able to do at least some of these things with your freehold property. I'm not sure about whether this is possible in the or zone of influence or the open world, however.
  • Options
    It would be a little tricky because there is always that person that would abuse the system to make an area full of herbs and the like so they can get most of the harvest.

as for making new and stronger breeds of plants I would love that!say there is a rare potion ingredient that can only be bred by a botanist. Bam! You just made gathering 100x more interesting 
  • Options
    Really nice concept and 100% sparks my interest :0 We know that ore nodes are limited resources and once fully mined it will disappear and appear elsewhere in the world and I've always wondered how would this work for other common gathering materials! I still don't know how it will work for things like plants and herbs but we know seasons will impact their growth (if the can grow at all) so we might need to work out stocking seeds and herbs for seasons when they are out of season.
    i think replanting in the world would be easily abused and freeholds are the best way forward. Perhaps we can use our freehold as a forestry or something.
    I can't wait to find out more information. Something I'm very keen on ^^
  • Options
    Kesarakk said:
    It would be a little tricky because there is always that person that would abuse the system to make an area full of herbs and the like so they can get most of the harvest.

as for making new and stronger breeds of plants I would love that!say there is a rare potion ingredient that can only be bred by a botanist. Bam! You just made gathering 100x more interesting 
    Cross breeding would be awesome. Be able to mix a plant that grows better in arid climate with a jungle one to make a good combo of both! I like your style sir!

I have played an MMO in the past where you could just plant things willy nilly where ever, and we ended up with a full field of potatoes in the middle of a camp. 
  • Options
    I would like to continue on my comment that I made earlier. I was on a break at work and had limited time, but here is the rest of what I wanted to say:

WoW had added seeds in WoD and you could use those seeds to grow that same plant in your garrison garden ((Ugh... If I ever wanted to murder a dev, it would be over those garrisons)) and Alchemy, if you had the profession for it because at the start they were soul bound items. I could see something like this added to AoC. Once you harvest your plants, you could get a drop for a seed, then you store that seed until the season it grows in comes back around. Pretty sure I am saying what has already been said, just in different words, but yeah.

Back to cross breeding: Just like with the other artisan classes ((I'm trying to wean myself from calling them professions, but you know 10 years in WoW does that to you)), botany, or whatever the class will be called, should have the ability to experiment with this system. Once you get the right combination down, you are rewarded with a very rare plant that is used in other prof- artisan classes, such as Alchemy or even cooking. If I have said it once, I have said it a thousand times: give us the ability to discover and create and you can keep our souls forever.