Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What was your favorite MMORPG in the last 20 years and why?

Comments

• Options
    Karthos said:
    Lineage 2.

But that mostly may be nostalgia on my point. I remember doing a lot of things for the first time playing that game in my teens. Like castle sieges, large raiding and having friends.
    Damn, so nice seeing someone actually mentioning Lineage 2. I always get that nostalgic feeling when hearing the name. I think what made this game so incredible for me was the Valakas raiding, oh and the music, so beautiful! This was actually my first ever game, so I will always have a special memory for it. I have played many MMO's since then, but l2 will always be special to me.
    If the music in Ashes is anything like or better than l2, I'll be in love.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Originally it was Conquer Online pvp wise since you could kill people and get a portion of items dropped randomly. Played that until they went p2w and ruined the pvping and pk system cause of the cry babies.

Ragnarok Online is my favorite go to pve game since bosses where actually a challenge and pvp required some level of skill for build and such.

But I played Tera Online, Archeage, WoW, Moonlight Blade, FF14, FF11, ect ect ect or helped on developing and beta testing.
  • Options
    Star wars galaxies and eq2 for me. 

Star wars because it pretty much felt like an updated Ultima online set in the world of star wars. Hands down the coolest idea of resource gathering. Resources spawned with varying stats, so occasionally, for a period of a week or so, an amazing spawn of ore might appear and everyone will start planting extractors. A spawn that good might never occur again. 

Eq2 for the community and the amazing time I had with my friends and the people I met in the game. It was nice to go back to a fantasy game with loot. Again after. Swg. Which server did you play on @Rumbleforge
  • Options

Star wars because it pretty much felt like an updated Ultima online set in the world of star wars. Hands down the coolest idea of resource gathering. Resources spawned with varying stats, so occasionally, for a period of a week or so, an amazing spawn of ore might appear and everyone will start planting extractors. A spawn that good might never occur again. 

Eq2 for the community and the amazing time I had with my friends and the people I met in the game. It was nice to go back to a fantasy game with loot. Again after. Swg. Which server did you play on @Rumbleforge
    Antonia Bayle, and what a community that server was in it's prime.  Funny conversations in general chat, frequent random roleplaying encounters with strangers, how easy it was to build memorable relationships with people in other guilds, both big and small.  For me, out of all the Massively Multiplayer Online RPGs I played - the AB server in EQ2 felt the most Massive in terms of Community.  Not just in size, but in it's very weight.... it's substance, if you will.  For a window of time, for a few years there... that game was truly a home. 

What server were you on?
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Antonia Bayle, and what a community that server was in it's prime.  Funny conversations in general chat, frequent random roleplaying encounters with strangers, how easy it was to build memorable relationships with people in other guilds, both big and small.  For me, out of all the Massively Multiplayer Online RPGs I played - the AB server in EQ2 felt the most Massive in terms of Community.  Not just in size, but in it's very weight.... it's substance, if you will.  For a window of time, for a few years there... that game was truly a home. 

What server were you on?
    The other rp server, Lucan d'lure. 

We were the bandit Lords of Baubbleshire because all the founding members of made freeport races and did the defection quest to settle in the Baubbleshire as a bunch of "reformed criminals". 

That was a really amazing experience. Making the run across the nek forest as a bunch of level 20s.. Haha. 

• Options

What server were you on?
    Ahhh, we were in alternate realities.  :)
  • Options

What server were you on?
    Haha, yeah. I kinda liked that classes were locked to factions initially. It was nice to be one of the earliest Ratonga bard around, while @umji was a swashbuckling troll. 
  • Options

What server were you on?
    Haha, yeah. I kinda liked that classes were locked to factions initially. It was nice to be one of the earliest Ratonga bard around, while @umji was a swashbuckling troll. 
    Do you remember how, when the game launched, you had a class progression that involved making choices?  I started as a Dwarven Fighter, then at a certain level I chose the Crusader path... and then later on again, I chose Paladin over Cleric. 
    It was like adding the element of story out of your class choices. 
    But then they gave up on that, and on spirit shards too around the same time I think. 
  • Options
    My favorite mmo has been Runescape. and i guess its because although it was a lot of grind it was rewarding in every skill you did and it really set you apart from the player base  when you had high skills to complete high end content. It was because of your dedication you had the stats and items you had nothing was givin for free in that game and you hard to work and the mini games in the work were amazing and brought a lot of life to the game!
  • Options
    My heart aches as so many of the titles mentioned I've played. 

I spent the most time playing Runescape (still do after 15 years) and WoW for many years in a hardcore raiding guild.  Tried Lineage 2, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings Online, Aion, Rift, Age of Conan, Tree of Savior, Ragnarok, RF Online, Elder Scrolls Online, Vindictus, Mabinogi, Dungeons and Dragons online,  Final Fantasy 14, Guild Wars 1 and 2, Jade Dynasty, MapleStory, Spiral Knights, Tera, Warhammer. That's the list I can come up with.

I always liked Runescape because it's constantly being updated and changing. It never stops evolving and improving, though it has its issues. I also like that I've still been able to mostly play solo and on my own 99% of the time without feeling forced to partake in group content or bossing.

I spent a ton of time in WoW. The scale and things to do was grand. I had a nice route for daily quests, did some merching in the auction house, and enjoyed achievements as well as rep grinds.

The thing I most love about MMO's is being able to play at my own pace and give 30 mins or 10 hours at any point and not be punished. FF14 was the most recent game that felt the most rounded, with a robust system for crafting, a roulette that makes dungeons super accessible even for casual players, and plenty of wealth to accumulate even playing on my own. 

I am really hoping that this game, with its potential dynamic elements, takes into account how easy it is for a troll/group of hardcores to outright ruin the game for everyone. So we'll see how that's balanced and if there's a justice system that polices the world in an effective way. 
  • Options
    If we are talking MMO only it is hands down  World of Warcraft for me.
    It was, for me, the best well rounded experience that I recieved in any mmo. I loved a ton of things in other mmos, like
    hutball and the personal story in SW:ToR.
    Tera was simply fun and challenging.
    Guild Wars 2 had an amazing world.
    The Secret worlds quests are still the single best integration I have witnessed.
    and so on, the point I want to make is, every MMO I have played lacked in many sections and shone in just a few.
    WoW on the other hand, up until the fall of Arthas on the other hand was the MMO that captured me whole.
    The world was amazing, there was so much lore to go around.
    While the quests weren't special you travelled around in this vast universe revisiting legendary locations.
    The pve as well as pvp was diverse and challenging, making the most out of your abilities.
    Dungeons were hard while they were relevant, raiding... man.. raiding <shivers> amazing.
    There just wasn't any part of the game I did not like.
    It all took a turn for the worse with each year passing imo, but while it lasted, it was my most beloved experience I shared with a circle of people I got to know over time in this fantastic world.
  • Options
    S.U.N - Amazing,you could transform into dragons and own everything if you chose.
    LC - You played as a mortal personification of a Deity and done whatever you wanted.
    Rift-Vanilla was amazing, as was WoW-Vanilla.. But we all know that.
    Perfect World International was amazing, until they made it heavily pay to win.
    So many more I could list, but I would most likely be listing over 100 haha!
  • Options
    I could make this a very long answer, but for the sake of... well, everyone else, I'll keep it short and sweet - because it's really not a complicated answer!

For me, it is EverQuest 2. 
    Why?  Community.

Of all the mmorpgs I've played (and I've given many a chance ever since Meridian 59) I played EQ2 the longest.  Friendships I've forged in that game have lasted years longer than the time I spent playing it.  It was the birth place of the gaming guild where "I hang my hat," so to speak. 

For me, it was the right game at the right time.  
    And even when I was going through the most trying time of my life, when I was a caregiver for my mother going through cancer, a guildmate gifted me a 3 month subscription which helped me hold things together mentally and offer a little window of escape on my "off time." 

EQ2 will always hold a special place in my heart for those reasons, even though its a game I just can't get myself ever to revisit now.  As they say, "you can't go home again."  

When it comes down to it, I am hoping Ashes will be a game that offers such a community, one that touches us beyond the borders of the game itself.
    I don't just wish this for myself, but I wish it for other players out there - that may need such things in their life now too. 
    The feels train :'(  That's a beautiful post right there. I think you capture the essence of the genre. I wouldn't understand the appeal of a MMO without a good community. To be sure, it's nice to have a MMO with a balance of solo / community content but there are better single player games like The Witcher series for people who like to be completely soloist. 

As for me, I'd say EQ1 for all the same reasons. I betrayed SOE and went off to WoW after EQ1. In hindsight, I regret not playing EQ2.  I was going to make amends with EQ Next but we all know how that turned out 
  • Options
    Short story medium, Dark Age of Camelot, because of the lore it was inspired by.

I absolutely love the arthurian cycle and both mythologies from Ireland and Scandinavia, so... Celts! And actual references to Lùg, Merlin, Thor...!  Actually being able to waltz into Camelot! Curmudgeons, clurichauns, fomorians as monsters!  <3:'(
  • Options
    Mate I agree on the NWN comment I used to run a server call Islands of Desire
    http://www.micknroz.com/IOD/default.asp
    The forums are still active and a mate still hosts it
  • Options
    Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, loved the Pink Day in L.A. (Lions Arch) trying to play for a cause is what gets the Feels(love) for players and game
  • Options
    For me it was Ragnarok Online.  Mostly because of the degree of customization you could have in your class.  Placing every single stat, occasionally finding a unique stat build that made you insane.  Further ability to customize your gear with weapon cards.  I sunk far too many hours into that game.  
  • Options
    I used to be very fond of Runescape, before they got bonds. But for me it's not a very good game anymore i just absolutely hate the p2w aspect.
  • Options
    For me it was WOTLK expansion. My warlock felt like it fit in and wasn't useless or a one button spam rotation and I got to play a death knight (melee warlock). Also I got to see the story of Arthas wrapped up from the RTS games. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Salutations, gamers. 
    Rogue Raven here, and I was just interested in what everyone's favorite game was in the past few decades and why?  Are these reasons why you are also interested in Ashes of Creation (other than that it is going to be amazing, of course)?  :wink:
    Drop me a line!

~Rogue Raven
    Thespian Extraordinaire
    Lineage 2, there is just too much to say about it and why it was such a good game. personally, I like the PvP side of games so that will explain a lot to someone who didn't like it.

This game just has too much of Lineage for me to ignore. The same flag system? castle sieges? count me in
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    DAoC hands down (esp before NF). It was my first MMO experience (I was very lucky); From the first time I was PKed out in realm I was hooked. And Darkness Falls (/sheds a tear)...the single greatest feature I have ever experienced in an MMO to date. Three warring realms coming together in a huge and dangerous dungeon that you have to strive to keep open. If it closed while you were inside you then have to band together to fight off the other 2 realms coming up your area............Sorry for waxing nostalgic  B)

I have been chasing the crack that was DAoC ever since. I thought WAR might be it but the poor game mechanics/design killed it for me. ESO has been the closest since then but still didn't quite have it. Looking at CU for my next "fix" and now...AoC!
  • Options
    DAoC hands down (esp before NF). It was my first MMO experience (I was very lucky); From the first time I was PKed out in realm I was hooked. And Darkness Falls (/sheds a tear)...the single greatest feature I have ever experienced in an MMO to date. Three warring realms coming together in a huge and dangerous dungeon that you have to strive to keep open. If it closed while you were inside you then have to band together to fight off the other 2 realms coming up your area............Sorry for waxing nostalgic  B)

I have been chasing the crack that was DAoC ever since. I thought WAR might be it but the poor game mechanics/design killed it for me. ESO has been the closest since then but still didn't quite have it. Looking at CU for my next "fix" and now...AoC!
    Agreed, nothing like DAoC. u.u 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    My best mmorpg game whas Lineage 2 C4 - C6 Interlude. This game i played about 8 years ... And like one year i don't finde other beter rpg game .. In the Lineage 2 it was clans, allianse, heros. Verry good game history. I like become you can ++ guns, armors and everything shining. And every more ++ on gun is diferent color that mean other guy have more power... but the main thing why i like this game there means everything your skills. And i like it armor and guns grades. Very simply system Non Grade , D Grade, C Grade, B, Grade, A Grade, S Grade... Not like now in others games stats on stats ++ somthing fire or metal ... and u still dont know which is better :) I like it party pvp system whit healers and other buffers ... i like in this game about the buff system... The ride system awesome ... and whan u killing a boss u feel like u killing gaint dragon and his power :D Well, in short, I pray Ashe of Creation will be a wonderful and unique and creator will hear us players  :)
  • Options
    Lineage 2, No game ever compared

@iNDee What server were you?
  • Options
    Sozia said:

Asheron's Call was my favorite because my real life friends played. 

@Sozia

Asherons Call was my baby :( Was devastated when it came to a close.
  • Options
    Gaming has evolved since I was first introduced to the game of "Pong" back in the Dark Ages. Every game has its highs and lows for each player until some new "Shiny" comes along and we stray till we move on again. 
    I agree with Wishka - Intrepid Studios stay the path, stay the course. Stay true to your community and this game will be great and your franchise will flourish. 
    And most of all - let Ashes be the greatest "Shiny" of them all 
    <3 
  • Options
    Lineage 2 for sure, played it from release and whilst it was an immense grind (spending 2 weeks grinding xp so you could lose it all on a castle siege and still be high enough level to use your skills), you did the grind with your guild, chilled out, talked sh*t, came to other members aid with open world guild v guild wars, or picked our lowest karma guildie to "go red" (player killer) to teach someone a lesson.

Moved to WoW on launch as it roughly coincided with the birth of my first kid and I needed something more "casual" (yes wow vanilla I considered a casual mmo compared to the 8hr a day I spent in L2).

Have played other mmos over the years and some of them were great but none of them really drew me in and had me feeling "invested" in the game like L2 and to a degree WoW.
  • Options
    Well 20 years is a long time and includes many games, but for me the best MMOs were the ones with the best open world concept that could properly combine worthwhile PvE and meaningful PvP. The only two games that I was happy with in that sense were UO and Darkfall. Most other MMOs are too themeparky or have pointless PvE or PvP. 
  • Options
    I'd have to go with Vanilla WoW, and Warhammer Online. The story in WoW is easily one of the best, and the vanilla combat, systems, and balancing we're great. Warhammer Online was a great game with awesome combat, while it lasted. 
  • Options
    My favorite MMO since I've started MMO gaming has to be ESO. I like it for a couple of reasons.
    1)  No subscription fee is nice, but I pay it on the months I play it as I can afford it. If I couldn't for a month or so, it wouldn't bar me from the game entirely though.

2) Simple enough for casual players to play, complex enough for the elites to enjoy. With only 6 abilities on your bar at a time, it's super easy to play. With 2 ability bars which have separate weapons (or the same if you choose to do so), mechanics like light attack weaving and block animation cancelling, even the elite gamers can enjoy what ESO has to offer.

3) Non-P2W- Now this is still semi-accurate, it is not entirely true anymore. When Zenimax added EXP scrolls to the Crowne store some would argue that the game is now P2W. I'm neutral on this argument because you can also earn them in game.

4) To clarify 3 a little better. For $3 USD, you get 1 scroll that gives you 2 hours of 50% extra EXP. If you were to fish for 1 hour in game, you would probably average 3 perfect roe per hour. 1 perfect roe is equal to 200 minutes (3 hours 20 minutes) of 50% extra exp.  You have to choose weather you have more time than money, or more money than time.