Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Friendly fire in PVP

Just a thought...

For example:
In ESO I hate these "bomb trains". When sieging the 3rd alliance is coming with a group, kills everyone and travel to the next spot. For me it's very frustrating.

In my opinion, PVP has to be tactical and it begins by discipline of the group. You have to think well, which skill you're using if partymembers near by and don't smashing the buttons. Or other members are attacking the wall/door, you can't stand in front of it and the impact of the catapult hasn't an influence.

Comments

• Options
    While I agree that it would be fun (maybe) to have FF, it would be a right royal PITA. Casters would really need to watch their AOE spells, as a mele you'd have to watch you back and make sure you don't run in front of a fire ball etc.

You also have A Holes who while on your side, would take considerable enjoyment out of Team Killing, just look at world of tanks.  You get constantly sniped by a team member, doing minimum damage but annoying, you get fed up turn around and "1 shot them" and you end up turning "blue" (basic warning) or getting banned, anything from 1hr to several weeks.
  • Options
    Ya I enjoy friendly fire myself it makes you think and practice your actions a bit better. The issue comes with people who abuse it and people who can't handle that level of tactical nature. Heck in games with it I still sometimes kill my allies on accident. =\
  • Options
    I think collision is a good idea for bottlenecks and other strategic planning, but I don't want FF. Sure it's realistic and could have a lot of LOL moments, but it would be a pain and opens up too much backstabbing and finger pointing, especially if you look at the caravan system " we were defending well, but our noob mage decided to unleash a fire tornado that killed 3 npcs and our healer. GG noob!!" And now that player wants nothing to do with caravans or pvp again.

sounds like I'm defending sensitive players who need to learn it's just a game, but I personally don't like the prospect of losing all of my market items because someone didn't have the discipline or map awareness to avoid strong aoe or projectiles.
  • Options
    As a summoner this would be the bane of me as say if my teammates are using AoE vs a large boss that has my minions around that mean the would be wiped out from AoE spells and my own teammates which would then
  • Options
    As a bard with a deep enjoyment for supporting and healing where possible, this would make my job harder when It'll be hard enough as it is. Just my 2 cents ofc :)
  • Options
    The only reason why I voted yes as this would help discourage zergs
  • Options
    No for the sake of the people I play with when I get bored
  • Options
    While this does seem to be something that would or could help turn the tide in battle.

Think about if you are in a town or area and you are trying to defend against attackers and your spells are AoE based. This means you would actually help these people destroy your own town thus making it easy for them to take over.

Also who wants to have the one guy who is still learning the game casting random hotbar strokes and hitting his own group with Crowd Control while the enemy runs head first into you.
  • Options
    Actually this raises a good question now that I think about it. How are they going to determine what is classified as friendly fire? Everything is going to be player choice and with a party system and guilds sure I get that. How are you going to avoid hitting the strays that are assisting your defensive or offensive efforts then?

A temporary allegiance menu or something I guess might work? Like pledging yourself as a defender/attacker/abstain? Abstain leaving you as a free agent to "do as you please" but still grants credit for actions taken on both sides like a mercenary I suppose. Would let the people who want friendly fire get it by abstaining and the general no FF pvpers get their safety net.
  • Options
    @Bannith

If I remember in a Q&A, they spoke briefly about this. As you are walking through the world you come across a caravan, the UI or an NPC is standing next to you and asks if you want to defend or attack, and your actions are known to all involved.
  • Options
    Nice that'd solve some issue but it still kinda messes with people like me. Who just wanna be in the middle of everything doing their own thing lol. I'd definitely be willing to accept that loss for the sake of stability though.
  • Options
    shazooo said:
    Just a thought...

For example:
    In ESO I hate these "bomb trains". When sieging the 3rd alliance is coming with a group, kills everyone and travel to the next spot. For me it's very frustrating.

In my opinion, PVP has to be tactical and it begins by discipline of the group. You have to think well, which skill you're using if partymembers near by and don't smashing the buttons. Or other members are attacking the wall/door, you can't stand in front of it and the impact of the catapult hasn't an influence.
    I think that there should be friendly fire in pvp but only in certain instances.. so traversing the world of course, if your buddy is by your side you should be able to hit him. But for sieges and raids etc.. no way, imagine how chaotic it would be, especially with big aoe's...
  • Options
    While id love to see it, I doubt it will be ingame.  the only thing ingame that should even have FF would be AOE spells or abilities.  so it would really only hurt certain classes.  Anything else would take way to much coding and way to much data and basically turn large sieges into slideshows
  • Options
    How would making the damage from a skill or attack affect any entity in the strike cause to much coding/data usage? I'm not a programmer so I'm genuinely asking but in general it seems they have to code more to create these exception rules to prevent you taking damage. Damage calculations running rampant could take a toll in a massive fight though I do see that.

• Options
    Not in an RPG with massive amount of players, no. This is not a 5v5 tps game where you need to watch out for not hurting friendlies...
  • Options
    Thanks for your feedback guys :)