Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The Portal [spoiler]

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited June 2017 in Ashes of Creation Design
Why do you think there is a science node, the portal was made by magic. Look at it. It's made of rocks. And it glows. Glowing means magic. Rocks are not high tech. It's a spinning thing made of magic rocks. Something happened and the mages created a magic portal so people could escape. 

Edit: "As you may know, nodes have 4 different types, Scientific, Economic, Militaristic, and Divine. " Okay, I guess there is a science node. So if you want fast travel in a node just build smaller versions of the portal and there you go.

Comments

• Options
    They are Divine Gateways; not arcane portals.

Science because the world we're coming from did not have magic.

It's the gods that opened the Gateways; not Mages.
  • Options
    Maybe....

I feel some of the best fantasy worlds have a combination of magic and science, because not everyone can use magic, or only parts of magic, so science is a way to supplement that. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Exactly as @Dygz has said :)
    What we know so far is that the Ashes world was habitual long ago and some calamity occured in the world that caused the people to flee to the world (except not all made it, those that didn't fled to under realm and over the millennia the Tulnar came to be) with no magic - through the divine gates. Now in the world of no magic another calamity has occured and the divine gates has reopened. This is where our story begins.

We know that there are 10 gods (some good some not so good) and that there is corruption in the world which seems to go mad when civilisation develops too much. We don't know if a god is the cause of the corruption or players are like a pandora box thing :disappointed:

Will be fun to learn more :3
  • Options
    Science=/=Technology
    That scientific nodes create gates by magic fits the stereotype of magic users. Think about it, the stereo typical mage is a scholar, a person of great intellect and knowledge. Magic in a world where magic exists is just part of science. The ebb and flow of mana, the magical formulas to control fire.

Technology on the other hand is only a fraction of Science. after all....
    Technology ("science of craft", from Greek τέχνηtechne, "art, skill, cunning of hand"; and -λογία-logia[2])
  • Options
    In Ashes, Science = Crafting.
    Again, keep in mind that the world where we have been living prior to returning through the Gateway has no magic.
    Which is very likely why Science is so important.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    In Ashes, Science = Crafting.
    Again, keep in mind that the world where we have been living prior to returning through the Gateway has no magic.
    Which is very likely why Science is so important.
    It has magic. Where do mages come from?

• Options
    Mages aren't able to perform magic until we return to the world of Ashes.
    The world we're coming from has no magic.
  • Options
    Then how did they learn magic? We've been gone for thousands of years.
  • Options
    You can also argue that magic is unrealized science. Take a person from the 1600s and bring them to our current time. They will say we are a world full of magic: metal birds in the sky, enchanted boxes that speak to us, horseless carriages that move themselves, etc.

Science in this game, I will venture to guess, has more to do with being an artisan rather than wearing a lab coat and driving flying cars.

As for the gateways, we are unsure yet if they were built by the four parent races, or divinely given to save those races. I think that the gateways were created by the four races bringing their craft and arcane abilities together. Certainly only a godly being could power such a thing unless everyone worked together and made it work. Reason I think it was the races that made them and not gods is because it speaks to the core of the game. The community came together and made a solution to the problem. Otherwise it is just another Deus ex Machina, and I hate anything dealing with Deus ex Machina.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

It would also seem to me that people who throw around lots of sometimes dangerous destructive spells and such or control weather or rebind molecules on broken items should know at least a bit about the principles of science, the Physical Laws.

and there's alchemy too.

• Options
    sunfrog said:
    Then how did they learn magic? We've been gone for thousands of years.
    We learn magic when we return to the world of Ashes.
  • Options

Kesarakk said:
    Science in this game, I will venture to guess, has more to do with being an artisan rather than wearing a lab coat and driving flying cars.

As for the gateways, we are unsure yet if they were built by the four parent races, or divinely given to save those races. I think that the gateways were created by the four races bringing their craft and arcane abilities together. Certainly only a godly being could power such a thing unless everyone worked together and made it work. Reason I think it was the races that made them and not gods is because it speaks to the core of the game. The community came together and made a solution to the problem. Otherwise it is just another Deus ex Machina, and I hate anything dealing with Deus ex Machina.
    Science doesn't include driving flying cars, but does include creating airships for a fast travel network.

We are sure that the Great Divine Gateways were created by the gods. Reason we know is because the devs said so.
  • Options
    Science has to be seen as researching instead of technology.

There can be both science and magic without one contradicting the other.