Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Quests, we can dream goddamnit!

If you have been around for a while you will know I once made a post called "Weapons, we can dream goddamnit!", and this is kinda the follow-up to that :) 

The general premise is that this is just a discussion about dreams, no matter how unrealistic it is. So please don't go "that will never happen, its too hard to implement". We can dream goddamnit!

Okay so for the question;
If you could design any quest/questline, what would the dream questline be for you?

For me it is quite easy cause theres one questline that already exists which is almost perfect, only problem is it needs to be longer ;)
The questline with Tolga and Fatin from Dying Light (+The Following). Basicly they want you to obtain random items for them, all while they insult and call you an imbecil on the radio. I can't really put my finger on why I really like it, the questline just has something about it, and the character are really well done :) 
I is to the point where my friend and I just wait eagerly for them to emerge in the storyline.

Spice it with some posh guy in AoC and I think it would become quite funny and interesting.

Comments

• Options
    I would love to see a line of quest like the legendary/prismatic item line in Everquest 2.

But hopefully one that doesn't involve raids but does require at least a high end single group content to complete. The joy of running all over the world to complete the line and culminating in defeating the final raid Dragon Nagafen sticks strongly in my mind. 
  • Options
    I'd like a long ass quest with lots of investigating and search. Could start with something like a small lead on a lore book found on the world which tells a story or some dialog with an NPC, yet doesn't start a quest, it is you who have to keep on searching about those events untill it leads you to an NPC or item who/which finally starts the quest, ending in some sweet reward.

Obviously the item or NPC wouldn't give you the quest if certain books haven't been read  or conditions aren't met, so as to avoid luckily avoiding the quest. It might just say something like "this thing seems important" or "I know an old story..." and then start investigating from there, instead of the other way around.
  • Options
    A quest line that wil give you a really cool class weapon that takes alot of time to complete. Like a legendary weapon.

That quest would combine all things that the game can offer. Like drops from bosses, pvp orriantated objectives you have to do to maybe steal stuf or whatever.

It would be a quest line that can take up to 3 to 6 months of daily gameplay!

So its not a thing you can do in a weekend with some friends gaming 24/7.

Also important that most of the parts are soloble, but with effort of friends and guilds it would speed it up just slightly.
  • Options
    Arkanth said:
    I'd like a long ass quest with lots of investigating and search. Could start with something like a small lead on a lore book found on the world which tells a story or some dialog with an NPC, yet doesn't start a quest, it is you who have to keep on searching about those events untill it leads you to an NPC or item who/which finally starts the quest, ending in some sweet reward.

Obviously the item or NPC wouldn't give you the quest if certain books haven't been read  or conditions aren't met, so as to avoid luckily avoiding the quest. It might just say something like "this thing seems important" or "I know an old story..." and then start investigating from there, instead of the other way around.
    That definitely also one of my dreams, would be awesome to something like this.
  • Options
    Jedi unlock quest was the best!

*runs and hides before the SWG fans appear.

*whispers* Secretly though... I did kinda enjoy it. even if it wreaked havoc on the server community
  • Options
    Fleelix said:
    A quest line that wil give you a really cool class weapon that takes alot of time to complete. Like a legendary weapon.

That quest would combine all things that the game can offer. Like drops from bosses, pvp orriantated objectives you have to do to maybe steal stuf or whatever.

It would be a quest line that can take up to 3 to 6 months of daily gameplay!

So its not a thing you can do in a weekend with some friends gaming 24/7.

Also important that most of the parts are soloble, but with effort of friends and guilds it would speed it up just slightly.
    YEAH! exactly right! This was what the prismatic quest was :) Not months though, but it definitely took awhile.

I'm hoping it isn't completely time locked or stuck behind grinding thousands of mobs. Not that it would stop me, just that it would be less fun. :)
  • Options
    I'd love a quest to unfold like an interactive move style mini game (Walking dead, Horizon Zero Dawn, ...), where the choices you make affect the unfolding events and one of many possible outcomes.

To borrow from @Feelix's example. Say you are questing for a powerful weapon and you go through an interactive series of challenges that test your play style in various ways. Then the weapon you receive as the final reward will be customized to fit the responses you gave.

If your choices were cold and ruthless, you weapon might be dark and menacing. If you took time out to save the bunny, then your weapon might be pink and purple and look like a unicorn horn, etc etc.
  • Options
    While there have been good suggestions already here on this thread here is my idea.

I'd honestly enjoy it if there was guild-specific questlines here and there, not just normal group content quests but ones that required all members participating to be in the same guild. This questline can vary from guild to guild and might require various tasks to be accomplished such as the harvest of resources to a dungeon clear and so forth. essentially what I want is a quest based guild specific adventure that might just randomly appear in every guild members quest log and completing the chain rewards the guild with something, anything "guildy".

That being said the reward should not be something deemed "essential" by the community to be an effective guild, just extra special fluff that along with the whole questline adds narrative and a storied background to your guild and its identity.
  • Options
    My favorite quest line I ever played on any MMOrpg was on World of Warcraft A Hero Remains that originated at Icecrown.   Basically you save this Crusader known as Crusader Bridenbrad who was affected by a plague that turns you into the undead and you go and find help to save him through powerful godlike dietys and eventually even though no cure was ever found a being of immense holy power sends him to basically heaven without turning into the undead.  I want a quest line as memorable and emotional as that.
  • Options
    When you think about them too closely, a lot of quests are weird. The quest giver wants your character to go find the Mysterious Widget/kill the Evil Beast/whatever, except a myriad other PCs have already done the exact same thing, and you doing so won't change the fact that a myriad more PCs are going to do the exact same thing afterwards. Your character has done zero to change the world.

My dream quest would not be repeatable by anyone, ever. My dream quests are all entirely unique. Nobody will have ever succeeded at them before (although they may have failed), and once completed the quest no longer exists (in the exact same form, anyway, if one person successfully stole the Mysterious Widget then maybe someone else could try to steal it from the new possessor).

I can dream, right?

It's not totally impossible to come up with concepts that would work like this. The aforementioned Mysterious Widget, for example. If there are unique powerful objects with obvious benefits for the node they are placed in, unique 'quests' may well appear spontaneously as node leaders organise raids themselves or offer rewards for the object's delivery to them. If there's an in-game job-board where PCs can hire other PCs to do things for them, unique quests could be in abundance. It means having ways in which the players can create quests, rather than (only) the developers.