Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Node Reputation Suggestion

It does not make a lot of sense to me that if one person/group games against a node consistently by caravans, sieges, or just plain Pk'ing, that same person/group could go to that node and participate in commerce, religion, etc. in it or just grief. 

I am not suggesting pre-determined factions against each other like Dwarf vs Elf (because we all know the Elves would not stand a chance).  I am suggesting more of a personal reputation.  For example, if I attack node 1's caravan, I may be unfriendly towards the NPC/guards of that node and would not be helped if attacked in the region.  Later, if I try to siege Node 1 unsuccessfully, my personal reputation towards node 1 is again negatively hit and I may be randomly attacked by NPC's of Node 1 while in the region.  If I REALLY exercise my ability to attack Node 1 even more, it furthers to negatively effect MY personal REP and now causes NPC's to an attack on-site. 

I understand not wanting to add factions to steer the story of the nodes and how they interact but I believe that actions should have meaningful consequences for players.  I believe personal reps towards nodes can help create meaningful conflict.

Comments

• Options
    Makes sense... Will be interesting to see if something like this is implemented in the design. There would need to be some sort of pathway for earning your "reputation" with said node back so that players didn't end up permanently exiled would there not?
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Karemalis said:
    Makes sense... Will be interesting to see if something like this is implemented in the design. There would need to be some sort of pathway for earning your "reputation" with said node back so that players didn't end up permanently exiled would there not?

I thought of this while creating the OP.  I did not want to bulk up my original thought. 

Maybe a way to reset a personal rep is city alliances or politics created by the players.  A setting could be chosen by political leaders to Pardon all personal reps towards a node that was just sieged or maybe a new alliance created with a certain node could reset the personal rep for the alliance.
  • Options
    More extreme... if I game a node that my node become allies with I may get my citizenship taken away from me depending on how the politics are set up in the node.
  • Options
    If implemented well, this could be great. Although there will need to be a way to display your reputation with the hundreds or thousands of nodes.

As for gaining back reputation, there could be a job board or something to allow you to accept work within the node. Although you could use this opportunity to sneak in and steal/raid someone again. If so, the penalty could be doubled.

Another way is possibly a black market merchant or spy. This NPC can lower/remove your bad rep at a price. And this shouldn't be cheap!
  • Options
    @SpectoRz  I like the job board as a way to get good standing.  Doubling the penalty if you steal/raid against a node is also a good idea to prevent gaming.  Black market spy to remove bad rep would need to be VERY expensive to not be abused, ie something you'd have to work hard towards investing. 

Again, I hate the idea of sharing nodes/freeholds with guys that attack caravans or siege a node.  The grief would be unreal.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017

I would like to see some kind of Node wide and individual player applied access denial to services of all kinds for a Node or player that is being "bothered" by a player or a group of them.

Something like a banning from using any facilities with the ability to recind when needed or wanted.

Top would be at Node govt level and cover the Node and all it's ZOI's. Individual guilds and players at a lower level that just bans from their own freeholds and(if possible) from buying any products the angry player/group might have for sale.. <--This part might be too impractical. <shrug>

Inconveniencing is about all you can really do to such villainous scum. You are just lucky if you can ever catch them actually at their vile work.

Edit: You know, something kind of like "Let it be known that Jack Sprat and all his gang, known as Jack's Brats, are named persona non grata and banned from use of all Node wide facilities until further notice."

• Options
    Draedin said:
    It does not make a lot of sense to me that if one person/group games against a node consistently by caravans, sieges, or just plain Pk'ing, that same person/group could go to that node and participate in commerce, religion, etc. in it or just grief. 

I am not suggesting pre-determined factions against each other like Dwarf vs Elf (because we all know the Elves would not stand a chance).  I am suggesting more of a personal reputation.  For example, if I attack node 1's caravan, I may be unfriendly towards the NPC/guards of that node and would not be helped if attacked in the region.  Later, if I try to siege Node 1 unsuccessfully, my personal reputation towards node 1 is again negatively hit and I may be randomly attacked by NPC's of Node 1 while in the region.  If I REALLY exercise my ability to attack Node 1 even more, it furthers to negatively effect MY personal REP and now causes NPC's to an attack on-site. 

I understand not wanting to add factions to steer the story of the nodes and how they interact but I believe that actions should have meaningful consequences for players.  I believe personal reps towards nodes can help create meaningful conflict.
    Interesting. We know Divine nodes measure contribution to the node as a way of election, though I wonder if that indicates a real reputation system or not.

Still, I'd love to see unfriendly NPCs attack, loss of access to node markets you've bothered, etc. ... if you can just work against a node, then walk into it a day later and buy some stuff at the market, it wouldn't make a lot of sense. I hope they answer this!
  • Options
    Draedin said:

Interesting. We know Divine nodes measure contribution to the node as a way of election, though I wonder if that indicates a real reputation system or not.

Still, I'd love to see unfriendly NPCs attack, loss of access to node markets you've bothered, etc. ... if you can just work against a node, then walk into it a day later and buy some stuff at the market, it wouldn't make a lot of sense. I hope they answer this!

Right!  It's going to lead to grief, loss of immersion, and strategic issues as well... Lets just sit inside the node until we see their caravan's leave.