Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Should a BOUNTY or "WANTED" system be in AoC

Okay so...

This will be a long one, so if you want you can just vote and ignore my ramble.
I want to crack out a few ideas I have as I am very PRO BOUNTIES for AoC.

Using the corruption mechanic, once a player has attained a state of corruption would they be allowed into villages/cities where guards are? :

If not they become targeted- 
*being killed by a guard passes the bounty onto the state/person in charge.
*being killed by a player passes the bounty onto the assailant (taxable? controlled by the state?)
*being killed by a npc? (possible?)
If so - 
*do they remain attackable while the corruption persists? could a bounty be claimed?

Placing bounties/kill rewards on players:
*As much as I like this idea it would need to be regulated by a system so you can't just put any bounty on any passer by. If implemented, a cost should be levied upon ever placed bounty in addition to the price of the bounty.
*State/city leader/person incharge should be able to make a persons of interest list and place bounties on them without charge, as the charge levied is usually a tax on the system.
*If the target is killed by a hunter, do the funds get sent automatically or do they need to be sent via a C.O.D mail system where you hand over an item that is only attainable by looting and being the hunter?
*Although it would be fun, if there are battlegrounds/arenas the bounty be suspended.
*Multiple players bounties on one head should add up but be knocked off for the highest single amount.

Perks to having a bounty on YOU.
Although it would seem counterintuitive to be "WANTED" here are some ideas I have on being a pirate.
*A point system based on; size of bounty, length of time played with bounty, survived bounty-hunter hits, and current bounty held while being in a city (player quantity per node area).
*Gaining titles for certain bounty achievement thresholds -attaining a bounty of a certain size, length held... you get me.

Burdens of having a Bounty system:
With a risk/reward system that the game will try and live by the chance of losing all your stuff to a rich player experiencing jealousy of your gear will happen a lot. In other MMO's simply being known is enough to get a bounty.
Abuses-
*Placing bounties on low levels (if I could i would, that's just funny), so i hope they make a level restriction.
*Placing bounties on people immediately after claim to spam/harass them indirectly.
*If you are not informed of a bounty placed on you, or have anyway of seeing the size of your bounty (a realism I like the sound of) it could lead to passive-stressful gameplay.

I hope you guys get into this as much as I am. I'd love to see these mechanics implemented. 

What do you all think.

<3

Comments

• Options
    I have seen bounty systems in the past.  PvPer waits until bounty is high enough. Has friend kill them. They share the bounty. Win win. Sort of. Ok, not really. So there has to be major reason for bounties be worth not dying for. 
  • Options
    The devs have already talked about a Bounty system, where people with "enough" corruption (clearly subject to tweaking) will be eligible for anyone who toggles on the Bounty Hunter something or other.

I wish I had more info for you, but I don't think anything more than this is available.
  • Options
    Sozia said:
    I have seen bounty systems in the past.  PvPer waits until bounty is high enough. Has friend kill them. They share the bounty. Win win. Sort of. Ok, not really. So there has to be major reason for bounties be worth not dying for. 
    Indeed, I left that out as to hope to open debate.
    Also I'm very much a advocate of that tactic. However, you're right there should be a good reason not to die.
    perhaps they could think up requirements.
    *If the hunter has been on your friends-list anytime in the last month they can not claim the reward.
    *If the hunter is a member of your guild/alliance they can not claim the reward.
    (maybe the above 2 can claim but at reduced rates due for fraudulent behaviour?)
    *Dying to a hunter must negatively impact you more than just getting killed by a common player/PvP'er, maybe something kin to corruption.
    *Due to the nature of the risk/reward system maybe not everything that drops is lootable, so dying will cost you the value of your items? (to counter this maybe you should be of a value greater than that of your current bounty. eg, if your bounty is 1 million, your items and armour must be worth equal or more than that)

Just a thought they could counter it with.
  • Options
    Krojak said:
    The devs have already talked about a Bounty system, where people with "enough" corruption (clearly subject to tweaking) will be eligible for anyone who toggles on the Bounty Hunter something or other.

I wish I had more info for you, but I don't think anything more than this is available.
    I saw them talk about it in a livestream days back. I have the same amount of info as you just said.
    Hopefully it will come up in the next LS.

My concern is that this alone isn't enough, it isn't regulated. Also attaining corruption will be easily abused. so I want more work put into it and to see what the community thinks. 
  • Options
    @Solemnfaceman

While a player is marked as Corrupt, they may be attacked by both Combatants and Non-Combatants. If a non-combatant attacks a corrupt player, the non-combatant will not flag as a combatant. We also have some other ideas that we haven’t formalized yet that will allow players to participate in what we feel could be a fun cat-and-mouse part of the game. As an example, the location of these corrupt players will be displayed on the map, if you have the Bounty Hunter title, which can be obtained through a quest available to a citizen from a Military zoned, Stage 4 (Town) Node. These are systems that we’re still working on, but Corruption is something we want to provide explicit gameplay opportunities for.

More info here from the devs.

• Options
    lexmax said:
    @Solemnfaceman

While a player is marked as Corrupt, they may be attacked by both Combatants and Non-Combatants. If a non-combatant attacks a corrupt player, the non-combatant will not flag as a combatant. We also have some other ideas that we haven’t formalized yet that will allow players to participate in what we feel could be a fun cat-and-mouse part of the game. As an example, the location of these corrupt players will be displayed on the map, if you have the Bounty Hunter title, which can be obtained through a quest available to a citizen from a Military zoned, Stage 4 (Town) Node. These are systems that we’re still working on, but Corruption is something we want to provide explicit gameplay opportunities for.

More info here from the devs.

Thank you, 
    I am aware of this and have created this thread more or less because of it.
    I wanted to gauge peoples ideas on the topic. It's always nice to see what imaginative differences a community has from the developers, especially before release, not to mention I feel that at least some of these threads make it to the dev's.
    (In the future I will link my sources so all can follow up.)

What are your opinions on Bounties @lexmax?
  • Options
    Ok.  This is what I found for you.

Will there be a bounty hunter system?

-             Yes. Players can acquire the bounty hunter title through a quest available only to citizens of Military Stage 4 (Town) Node. Bounty hunters will be able to see corrupted players on their map. Corrupted players may kill BHs without acquiring additional corruption skills.

I'm thinking that the BH map won't be world wide either, more node( area) wide as most are.

What’s to stop me from having my friend kill me really quickly to get my corruption skill off?

-             Well, you don’t respawn at the regular spawn locations. It’s randomized. So there’s no guarantee that your friend could find you. Also, BHs will be tracking you, and will want to kill you. So, there’s no guarantee that your friend will find you before the BHs do.

So, the idea of a friend killing the corrupted one would have to meet the right criteria.

Be able to find you and be a citizen of a Military nodeWho would really want to spend all their spare time doing that for friendship. lol

Does dying wipe all corruption?

-             No, it wipes a certain amount of the corruption value based on the original score acquired.

A character who has a Corruption Score on the other hand, suffers penalties at three times the rate of a Non-Combatant, and has a chance to drop *any* carried/equipped items based on their current Corruption Score.

Steven said they don't want to make it easy for pkers and from all I've heard and read it seems they are really putting much thought into it.

• Options
    Im all for bounties.  It doesnt necessarily have to be a monitized system, but if it were it would need to have much better regulation than previous games.  Just having the option to hunt down PKs is enough reward for me.
  • Options
    @CylverRayne
    Awesome thanks, But what is your position on it. 
    With all the info that is out there. what would you like to see?
    Or maybe you refute prior statements/info. 
  • Options
    @CylverRayne
    Awesome thanks, But what is your position on it. 
    With all the info that is out there. what would you like to see?
    Or maybe you refute prior statements/info. 
    It appears my vote didn't show.  I voted for the bounties.  I like what Intrepid plans so far and it sounds like they have more to add.  He really seems to want to make a workable system and one that is fair for all.  Not easy for sure! 
  • Options

What are your opinions on Bounties @lexmax?
    From what little info we do have, I like the direction Intrepid are taking. Far higher penalties for corrupt players is a great start.

Some other things I'd like to see to help avoid murder boxes and PK farms:
    1. No rewards for bounty kills other than loot drop. This would mean no rank ups based purely on number of player kills. PvP ranks/titles should be internal to a guild in my opinion, based on how the officers view your overall combat abilities. (The same idea should also apply to PvE ranks.)

2. A decent warning and grace period for non-combatants as they approach a PvP zone before they get flagged. 

3. Diminishing returns reward system based on number of deaths (within a period of time) and further diminished by level difference.
  • Options
    The bounty should go to the node when criminal scum gets arrested or killed.
    So if many bounties are collected the nodes taxes could be lowered.
    This inspires node citizens to fight crime and keep the streets save.
  • Options
    Sozia said:
    Although I agree with this I doubt the bounty on Player As head would last long enough for his mate to split the profit with in this community ^^
    I really like the idea of a player who is pk'd to place a bounty on their murderers head if they felt the death was in vein. 
    From a more social aspect I think it's a nice way for pvpers to be involved in the community in a different way.
    i know my partner would go bananas over this mechanic and would strive to become your no.1 choice of getting back at the corruption of this world ^^

• Options
    This entire post is moot because we already know there will be bounties. Its arguably the primary anti-troll mechanic in a pvp heavy game.
  • Options
    Maerik85 said:
    This entire post is moot because we already know there will be bounties. Its arguably the primary anti-troll mechanic in a pvp heavy game.
    I disagree that it is moot, if so maybe 50% of all threads are too.
    Just because something is confirmed doesn't mean we can't talk about whether we like/want it in the game.

You may as well say that a thread discussing what class you would or would not play is a moot topic because either way they are in the game.

What this post is talking about, drawing from people/players it whether they are going to enjoy the system or not.

This isn't a "why don't they put bounties in AoC" or "give me all your updates on bounty system because i haven't done any research" that would be moot topics.

:/
  • Options
    I'd say it working like this would be the best: Bounty is up (placed by players or npc Idk.) Target is killed and the Bounty hunter takes a "trophy" or basically their ticket for turning in. So it could add some element of risk on the Bounty Hunter side as is it's kind of like "ok, I killed him." FREE MONEY *rolls in piles of gold*

I'd like to see it but it needs tuned to not be entirely BS for the corrupted players. If they have nothing to gain from being a bandit then why become one unless your a griefer who doesn't care? That aside I'd like to see an actual bandit system in place beside it like theft from cities, npc murders, muggings, break in's, etc. Maybe not giving corruption in those cases but still marking a player with a bounty.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    If bounty reward is system funded, I see players to agree to set bounties on each other and sharing the spoils.

Should the bounty system be player funded, ie the bounty actually from a players own wealth, perhaps this would  avoid cooperative play exploitation.

But although the idea in principal is good and look forward to it, there should probably be mechanisms to avoid griefing. ie

a) limit to the number of bounties on a given person in a given time
    b) consolidation of any multiple bounties to a combined reward
    c) cooling off period for a bounty, ie x time for first, x2 for second, x4 for third to avoid perma-bounties.

• Options
    @Bannith I agree, I would like to see it like that, atleast for Alpha to know if it works or not, although i feel this whole thing will be more or less end game stuff and getting to that during the Alpha will be a real test.
    It it was extended to npc killing mugging, that could be a very interesting facet.

@AkaBear I like you ideas, however:
    A) if there was a required cooldown time to ad bounties then you could just troll hard and get a friend to put a small (minimum) bounty on your head. So all the players you annoyed will eventually forget your name or stop caring about placing a bounty.
    B)I very much agree, and with the addition that there should be no limit, so that your bounty can potentially be the maximum amount from as many people on the server. I want a title for in any 1 moment being the "most wanted" or "highest bounty".
    C) I believe I understand, so once a bounty has been claimed x time must pass before players can start to do it again. I agree this will be a good implementation due to doubtless trolling that would ensue else.

Some great ideas, I'd look forward to seeing these in the game.
  • Options
    AkaBear said:
    If bounty reward is system funded, I see players to agree to set bounties on each other and sharing the spoils.

Should the bounty system be player funded, ie the bounty actually from a players own wealth, perhaps this would  avoid cooperative play exploitation.

But although the idea in principal is good and look forward to it, there should probably be mechanisms to avoid griefing. ie

c) cooling off period for a bounty, ie x time for first, x2 for second, x4 for third to avoid perma-bounties.

Skyrim had a region bounty system that could work the same in nodes for AoC. When a player has a bounty and gets killed the money should come out of his own pocket. This eliminates the process of money farming with a friend. Also I think it would be cool if half of the money goes to the node and half to the bounty hunter(s).  
  • Options
    Neviathan said:
    Skyrim had a region bounty system that could work the same in nodes for AoC. When a player has a bounty and gets killed the money should come out of his own pocket. This eliminates the process of money farming with a friend. Also I think it would be cool if half of the money goes to the node and half to the bounty hunter(s).  
    This!
  • Options
    The only one suggestion i'll make for bounties is usually players won't add money against a player for a bounty which usually renders the bounty system useless. So my suggestion is if pkers normally get a potion of the dropped money from the person killed take a percentage of that and add it into the bounty system. That way the more people a person kills the more money which would rack up over time until someone actually killed and claimed the money. The system could still allow others to add bounties on but as a bonus towards keeping the system up and running this would make it so its not player dependent on whether people set bounties.
  • Options
    Neviathan said:
    AkaBear said:

Great idea but still exploitable. I'll just pass all my coin to Fred before I go on a killing spree. I'll just wear newb gear and pass my good gear to Fred to hold.

Two kinds of random player killers: legit bandits and "for the lulz" arsehats. Not really anyway to judge between the two because computers suck at judging intent.

Best thing I can think of: Let it be coin from the corrupted's purse/bank reward and if they don't have coin, as per above, it defaults to increasing the xp debt.

or

Let it be coin or defaults to xp loss instead of debt, making actual level loss possible.

There probably needs to be a way to erase corruption(doesn't need to be easy) other than death and loss to make bandits/pirates playable.