Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Interesting and flashy abilities

One of my favorite things about FFXIV is that the abilities for the most part are big and flashy and feel satisfying and cool to use. I love playing as a mage in most games but can occasionally be turned off by how simply the spell animations can be. I'd love to see some really awesome ability effects like big fiery explosions, wind effects from slashes or arrow shots, and weapon animations that look like they have some oomph to them. Are there any animation ideas you think would be awesome to see in game? I personally want to have some kickass meteors fall on my enemies.

Comments

• Options
    Taking a look at the trailers and gameplay footage, it looks very fantasy/sci-fi themed, although this is pre-alpha.
    I've a warrior/tank type of guy, I hope the animations aren't ever the top like in ESO and GW2, they were basically just being silly.
    I want a little realism in my fantasy world. 
  • Options
    Taking a look at the trailers and gameplay footage, it looks very fantasy/sci-fi themed, although this is pre-alpha.
    I've a warrior/tank type of guy, I hope the animations aren't ever the top like in ESO and GW2, they were basically just being silly.
    On the flip side, you don't want them to be basic swings either.
  • Options
    I'm a mage player myself. Good developers can do so much awesome things with this class, and they're not limited to just design a sword or dagger. They can make really cool visual effects and thats what I like about playing a mage. Sometimes you freeze your enemies to death, the other time you will burn them to death. 

Visual design makes or breaks the class in my opinion.
  • Options
    I'm not so concerned with effects tbh but from what I've seen in vids thus far the combat looks a little stiff. The Unreal4 engine has fantastic capabilities and possibilities in the context of combat. It's more to do with what Intrepid do with their tools. I have high hopes that the combat will be fluid and QA'd, or at least I hope that.
  • Options
    Krojak said:
    On the flip side, you don't want them to be basic swings either.
    True, but I would like weight behind the blow, some technique, finesse, some kind of mastery from the wielder. so a basic swing no.
    However, i'm totally fine with low-key particle effects. Although, I know i'm a very small minority.

Maybe if i was a spell-sword, But i like WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get: for those that don't know the rules name) and play by it. so if i see large colours splashing off my enemy when i hit them then i want that justified in a way more than just, "it looks cool" as it is just limiting the imagination. 
    Blood splatter on the backswing i like. thunder strikes on the impact are good if you are attuned to the element, but spontaneous lights that explode for no reason. put me off combat.

Like I say, history has shown me I'm of a very small minority. 
  • Options
    No I'd totally agree that effects that don't seem relevant to the action being done will absolutely seem over the top. I just want to feel like when I press a button I get an in game response that's more than a lowering health bar.
  • Options
    Joshobeb said:
    No I'd totally agree that effects that don't seem relevant to the action being done will absolutely seem over the top. I just want to feel like when I press a button I get an in game response that's more than a lowering health bar.
    Yeah, that's perfectly reasonable. That was one of, the many, fails in ESO imo. I actually liked the skills structure but the combat felt weightless(especially with 2H weapons) and the balance was horrible in PvP but that's another discussion for another time. The point is for such a new MMO(relatively) Zenimax got it wrong. I know the Hero engine was used in the very early development stages of ESO but Unreal4 is far superior, so hopefully Intrepid will make the most of it.
  • Options
    effects are nice to look at but you dont want to have a hope bunch of it covering your UI XD. 
  • Options
    Detox_YT said:
    effects are nice to look at but you dont want to have a hope bunch of it covering your UI XD. 
    Absolutely, I've had to turn effects off before now in some MMOs just so that I can actually see boss fight mechanics lol. I'm positive Intrepid will ensure we're beyond that.
  • Options
    I'm not to hung up on what it looks like as long as it kills someone. ;)
  • Options
    Radeaus said:
    I'm a mage player myself. Good developers can do so much awesome things with this class, and they're not limited to just design a sword or dagger. They can make really cool visual effects and thats what I like about playing a mage. Sometimes you freeze your enemies to death, the other time you will burn them to death. 

Visual design makes or breaks the class in my opinion.
    I agree with you 100%. Take WoW for example...

This is what a mage is supposed to look like

And this is what a mage looks like in the game

It's pretty close admittedly..
  • Options
    @lexmax

So true! Mages/Wizards have been my favorite ever since an old man payed a visit to a hobbit about an adventure.When it comes to magic artists are limited by only two things: Imagination and Intellect ((Ironic, no?)). I hope they keep up the good work with the animations. So far I love the symbolistic magic that they use, which does remind me of the Warcraft movie. If I cast a spell, I want it to feel like I'm casting a spell, not just hitting a button and fire shoots from my hand. After all, magic is all about the imagery. 
  • Options
    If you are a backer you going to get a little extra to your spell effects. Should be neat.
  • Options
    I really loved the flare the Predator shot in the air in the Art of War vid.