Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What Is Your Favourite MMO Memory?

You Have A Favourite Memory, Share It With Me

Let me paint for you the setting:

It was World of Warcraft during its third expansion, Wrath of the Lich King. We were raiding Naxx pretty early in the expansions life cycle. Mrs Krojak and I, as well as our two housemates are all in an older, family oriented raiding guild. We had a pretty cool GM, a lovely old married couple who were Assistant GMs, and an odd assortment of other guildies of varying ages.

We were raiding one night, wiping repeatedly on a boss that had a mechanic called "The Dance". (For those of you who know what it is, you know the pain of which I'm about to speak) Tensions were mounting in my household of wife and friends. The 4 of us, the GM and the lovely old couple were the only raiders who could understand the really complicated "Don't Stand In The Fire" mechanic.

My lovely wife is an amazing MMO gamer. The two of us were always competing for TOP dps in the guild at the time. Normal relaxed and chill, she was quite fed up with all the other guildies being unable to grasp something that in her mind was a "very simple thing."

I was the only one of the two of us who used voice comms. She always had me relay information she wanted to say to the guild. Well, after what felt like the 15th wipe on this boss, I was holding down the push to talk button when my wife practically flipped her keyboard in frustration. "What is *&#@ing wrong with these people!? I'm a &%#$ing girl, and I can figure this &%@$ out!"

Of course the whole guild broke out in laughter across voice comms. My friends and housemates came into the room to see if she was ok. It was bloody hilarious.

Oddly enough, we continue to down the boss on the next try with a record high number of people alive at the end: 9/25.

Comments

• Options
    My favourite memory of playing an mmo was logging in to Neocron beta for the first time. It was magical looking around Plaza along with the music playing in the background. Killing my first giant rat and then telling everyone over zone chat about it. Will never forget it but there is not many people playing anymore so I have stopped playing it recently there is no one to make weapons.
  • Options
    Warhammer Online - leveling through the PvP lakes with the guild.  Several warbands on each side coordinating through Vent (it was the thing at the time, lol).

Good times.
  • Options
    Most hilarious moment in a MMO was in the early days of the Icecrown Citadel raid in 2010. Our guild Enlightened was on progression and we were farming our way up to Sindragosa who we hadn't downed yet. We had a young rogue called Miji who was one of our top DPS so he was listed first in the bite order for this nasty boss. We were itching to go, so as soon as the readycheck passed, the tank started the pulltimer.

Half way through the count Miji said in vent that he'd be right back. We thought he was joking, but he said he's so sorry but his mom was making him take a shower! It was only then that we realized just how young this rogue really was! We waited 15 or so minutes with mixed emotions, mostly hilarity. We were glad when he returned to help us one shot the boss and move on :)
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    I've been kicking ass since the dawn of time 
    I'm just a killing man that's reached my killing prime 
    I burn and I plunder as it suits my desire 
    The weapon of my choice is "great balls of fire" 

Leveling my fire mage during Vanilla WoW (PvP server) 
    <3
    50% (amazing) PvP
    40% watching not to get ganked
    10% actual leveling

Amazing times.
    Nostalgic memories.

And this is also one of my favorite songs:
    Big Blue Dress
  • Options
    Lower Guk  in EverQuest.  Guild Frontier runs in DAoC.
  • Options
    Oh so many.

I won't randomly waffle, they'll mean nothing to any of you personally, but I wanted to thank you @Krojak for making me smile, making me remember all the happiness.

<3
  • Options
    Everquest - Dragon Raid
    Lord Nagafen, Lady Vox, Phara Dar, Trakanon...
    There were many Huge Dragons.
  • Options
    Honestly, the 3 years I spent playing Florensia. I met a friend of 10years (ended poorly but meh...)
    I was #1 excavator and one of the most popular/well-known players in my server. Because of the size of the community, I felt like I was able to have a lot more personal relationships with the other players. Hell, I even met one of the other players in real life and enjoyed a movie with her half-way across the US! (Sure it was a date :tongue: )
    From what I've seen, this community shares a lot of the qualities that I once enjoyed in Florensia and I can only hope I'll be able to say the same sorts of things about Ashes someday :)
  • Options
    ArcheAge (v1.2):
    While waiting for the Kraken to spawn (we were a tad early) and sailing around on my small clipper boat searching for him/her, some wiseass decided to say "Wouldn't it be funny if he spawned right under us?" ....

Which it promptly did.
    Panic ensues.

• Options
    staying up for three night cause i had emperor-ship on ESO no sleep but fun times

• Options
    Ah, good times, lol. The one memory that will always stay with me, however, is a classic.

WoW. WotLK expac. Thanksgiving holiday time -- yay!

To date, I'd never been much of one for achievements, but I'd met this man who was insistent on courting me, and so he decided he'd take it upon himself to help me obtain the Thanksgiving holiday achievement, which included, among other things, "Sitting at the table at your opposing faction's major cities" to eat.

We were, at this time, Horde, so we'd been to SW, taken care of that. We flew in to Darnassus. I was on my baby belf priest, but I decided I wanted to be as "humble" as possible to hopefully offset any gankage, so I had her dressed in a simple blue dress. I know you know the one I'm talking about :wink:

In we flew to the outskirts, where the table was set up, and this wonderful man, on his mage, set himself out of sight behind a column while I approached the table, tentatively picked a seat, sat down, and began eating.

A nelf rogue came up, turned turkey, and they sat there looking at me. My guardian and I were interactive VOIP, so I let him know (because he couldn't see) that this rogue was coming closer to me, while I continued to eat. Next thing I know, the rogue begins dashing toward me, still in the turkey costume.

"Uh, oh" I said. And glancing over, I saw all the arcane sparkly stuff that meant he was super-charging a spell. He stepped from behind cover, thrust forward one hand, and BAM!, turkey feathers went flying!

He then popped his rocket mount, I hopped on, and we flew off laughing. I could just imagine the player's expression ... "Huh? WTF? What just ... what just happened to me? How come I'm dead?"

Ah, @Possum. The times we've shared :smiley:
  • Options
    ^ I almost forgot about that achievement. I remember picnic tables around Orgrimmar with Tauren sitting next to puny gnomes, chowing down in the spirit of the holiday :blush: What a long strange trip all of that was ;)
  • Options
    Kingston 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    8-Manning Frontiers with my guild mates in DAoC. Killing Hibs was my favorite! Dang Bards OP doh.
  • Options
    Isende said:
    Ah, good times, lol. The one memory that will always stay with me, however, is a classic.

WoW. WotLK expac. Thanksgiving holiday time -- yay!

To date, I'd never been much of one for achievements, but I'd met this man who was insistent on courting me, and so he decided he'd take it upon himself to help me obtain the Thanksgiving holiday achievement, which included, among other things, "Sitting at the table at your opposing faction's major cities" to eat.

We were, at this time, Horde, so we'd been to SW, taken care of that. We flew in to Darnassus. I was on my baby belf priest, but I decided I wanted to be as "humble" as possible to hopefully offset any gankage, so I had her dressed in a simple blue dress. I know you know the one I'm talking about :wink:

In we flew to the outskirts, where the table was set up, and this wonderful man, on his mage, set himself out of sight behind a column while I approached the table, tentatively picked a seat, sat down, and began eating.

A nelf rogue came up, turned turkey, and they sat there looking at me. My guardian and I were interactive VOIP, so I let him know (because he couldn't see) that this rogue was coming closer to me, while I continued to eat. Next thing I know, the rogue begins dashing toward me, still in the turkey costume.

"Uh, oh" I said. And glancing over, I saw all the arcane sparkly stuff that meant he was super-charging a spell. He stepped from behind cover, thrust forward one hand, and BAM!, turkey feathers went flying!

He then popped his rocket mount, I hopped on, and we flew off laughing. I could just imagine the player's expression ... "Huh? WTF? What just ... what just happened to me? How come I'm dead?"

Ah, @Possum. The times we've shared :smiley:
    We've shared so many.  But THIS one is a stellar moment that will always bring a smile and laughs when we talk about it.  I still remember you saying, "Oh, did I forget to mention I brought a friend?"  lol
  • Options
    Well, not an in-game favorite memory, but this will probably always remain my fondest mmorpg memory: the first Star Wars Galaxy Fanfaire. SWG was the first mmorpg I played (which is memorable enough), and I had never been to anything like that Fanfaire. There were a lot of fun activities and meetings. But meeting and hanging out with friends from the game, as well as with devs, is what made this special. Good times indeed.
  • Options
    Mine was from a FTP MMO called Lucent Hearts. Back in it's old release day. From my experience it had the best community. Everyone I met I got along with, everyone was so cool and down to have random fun with random people. I made so many friends in that game. Plus the mods had a huge presence in that game. They would make mini games for the community to get together and play and they would chill in random spots across the map and just hang and talk with us. They really listened and liked spending time with the community which I really appreciated.

They've re-released it seems through Suba-Games kickstarter. I wouldn't go back, it just wouldn't be the same.
  • Options
    Once my keyboard was broken, and instead of buyin a new one immediately I only used my mouse to keep levelling up for a while. I made a challenge to myself. I was using screen key. I don't remember why I did that. But it was fun, I felt challenged.
  • Options
    I don't know if anyone has played it, it's more popular in Europe, but I used to play Dofus, very addicive game. So many years spent.
  • Options
    I don't know if anyone has played it, it's more popular in Europe, but I used to play Dofus, very addicive game. So many years spent.
    I've never played it, but apparently my wife is convinced I have :confused:
  • Options
    Getting Thunderfurry in WOW. I miss playing with those old guildmates. Good times.  Lots of good memories playing WOW during the beginning years of it. 
  • Options
    when convenience wasn't a thing in MMOs

• Options
    This massive clan war I was in back in 2005 for RuneScape. Probably about 150 total people going at it.
  • Options
    One of my best (and probobly most embarrising moments) was when I was new to Ark Survial Evolved. Its a sandbox game where you start with nothing and have to learn the hard way wich dinousarous that are friendly and wich you need to run from.

We where a small group of people who played togeather, and we found this nice island in the ocean, not far from the shore. But u couldnt swim, cause the sharks would kill you. So after a while we managed to tame a Pteradon, and my tribemate picked me up in the claws and dropped me on the island to start build up a base until the others wanted to come.

It didnt took me long to understand it was a island filled with T-rexes and raptors and almost all hostile creatures you could imagine.
    So I started with a base on top of the island and manged to create a decent wall around it with a huge gate and everything
    After a few days one of the guys wanted to come and see how I was doing, so I started to show him the island.

It was then he managed to get aggro from a T-rex, and I was looking at him, wondering if he would survive or not. Only thing was that he had raised his speed alot, so he was faster then the damn Rex, and if there is anything u need to learn in ark, its that you dont need to actually be faster then the dinousaur, u only need to be faster then your friend...

So the rex started to chase me!
    ...I was a crafter, I wasnt very fast.
    But I started to run as fast as i could, along a cliff to the gate I made in my wall, the ground was shaking, the thumping sound of the T-rex grew louder and louder in my headphones as the rex was closing in on me and I almost pressed my SHIFT key through the table but ...I ...just...couldnt...run...any faster!
    I came up on the gate, slammed it open, ran through and turned to close it and was just about to tell my tribemate over the headset that I was ok when the T-rex head came in between the closing doors and snapped after me. His mouth filled my entire screen and I screamed like a 5 year old girl.

I am 43 year old and married to a wonderful wife, who at the time was playing card with her father at a table not far from where I was, and they both just stared at me with horror and was wondering what the heck...??

I couldnt speak, just pointed at the screen, blushing red, and just shook my head and shut down the monitore for a few sec while catching my breath again.
    Awkward moment trying to explain what just happened to my 75 year old father in law...
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Excellent thread, @Krojak!  Love it!  :)

My favorite MMO memory, is also my first MMO memory.  

The very first MMO I ever played was Everquest.  I've always been an avid reader, and had only recently started playing tabetop games, like DnD.  But, during downtime, the only games I really enjoyed, that scratched my rp "itch" were consol RP games, like Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, and such.  Always on the lookout for such games, I happened to come across an interesting looking game at a game shop.  Everquest.  I remember reading the box, excitedly, and thinking, "Wow!  An RPG game, with the elements of a tabletop game, on the PC!  Awesome!".  But, still kinda skeptical, as it seemed too good to be true, I debated with myself on whether to buy it, or not.  I think I visited that game shop regularly, for at least a few months, agonizing over my decision.  Finally, I just said, "Screw it!", and ended up buying Everquest Gold Edition.  Before I even loaded the game onto my computer, I read, and re-read, every single manual, map, and atlas book ten times over...at least, lol.  I was excited as ish, and wanted to fully immerse myself into this game.

Once I finally chose my race, and wrote up a character backstory, I loaded the game from the multiple discs, thinking that was all it took to play the game.  Then, the game began updating, so I waited...and waited...and waited...and waited.  After awhile, my excitement turned to frustration, said "Man, f@#% this, and went to bed.  As it was my first time playing a PC game, I had no idea of the wait time involved in an online game, that had multiple expansions, and the updates that came with them.  Add to that, this was the time of AOL "You got mail", and dial up modems.  I know, grandpa ish.  Anyways, after about a week...literally, no joke, it took a freaking week...the game was done with the updates, but with my comp running continuously during that time, it was hot as hell.  So, I let it rest, and waited for the weekend.

FINALLY, I was able to get into the game, and I was playing a chosen of Innoruuk, a Teir'Dal (Dark Elf) Shadowknight.  After customizing my character, I remember spawning in the Dark Elven capitol of Neriak.  Breathtaking.  As prepared as I thought I was, I wasn't, and I was loving every minute.  Reason being, there were no quest markers, in Everquest.  You had to find your own way, by talking to NPC's.  And, by "talking", I mean you had to "hail" and NPC to get a response, pick up on any "keywords" they used, and repeat those keywords back to them, to get quests.  Took me awhile to figure that out, lol.  Once I got the hang of it, I explored the city, while I completed my beginner quests, the whole time "wide-eyed", and loving it.  Eventually, I make my way to the newbie zone, outside.  While I'm doing quests, and RP'ing with anyone who happens by, explaining my newness in-character, I run into some trouble killing some "named" mini boss, as part of a quest chain.  While I'm trying to figure out how to kill him, a rogue comes by, see's me standing just out of aggro range of my target, and asks me if I need help.  Seeing as he was of a higher "season" (I learned that was the IC way of saying higher level) than me, I gratefully accepted.  Together, with my new rogue friend, we make short work of the enemy, and I completed my quest!  Aftewards, while we sat together, he asked what I knew of the game, and gave me helpful advice.  I thanked him for helping me with the quest boss, and the tips.  He smiled, nodded, then, suddenly, disappeared.  Confused, I looked around, wondering what happened to him.  Maybe my computer was acting up.  Next thing I hear (or, read, rather) was a whispered, "I'm sorry...", before getting one shot, from behind.  Perhaps, I forgot to mention that I rolled my first character on a RP-PvP server...

Suffice to say, I promptly logged off, deleted that character, and re-rolled on a RP-PvE server.  To this day, it still the second-most memorable moment, the first being, of course, my first time spawning in the world.  I also hold no grudge over the event.  As a matter of fact, I find it quite humorous, in hindsight.  But, it did teach me a very valuable lesson I hold close to my heart, and still stands true, till this day.  And, that lesson is..."Screw rogues."

Thank you.
  • Options
    Krojak said:

You Have A Favourite Memory, Share It With Me

Let me paint for you the setting:

It was World of Warcraft during its third expansion, Wrath of the Lich King. We were raiding Naxx pretty early in the expansions life cycle. Mrs Krojak and I, as well as our two housemates are all in an older, family oriented raiding guild. We had a pretty cool GM, a lovely old married couple who were Assistant GMs, and an odd assortment of other guildies of varying ages.

We were raiding one night, wiping repeatedly on a boss that had a mechanic called "The Dance". (For those of you who know what it is, you know the pain of which I'm about to speak) Tensions were mounting in my household of wife and friends. The 4 of us, the GM and the lovely old couple were the only raiders who could understand the really complicated "Don't Stand In The Fire" mechanic.

My lovely wife is an amazing MMO gamer. The two of us were always competing for TOP dps in the guild at the time. Normal relaxed and chill, she was quite fed up with all the other guildies being unable to grasp something that in her mind was a "very simple thing."

I was the only one of the two of us who used voice comms. She always had me relay information she wanted to say to the guild. Well, after what felt like the 15th wipe on this boss, I was holding down the push to talk button when my wife practically flipped her keyboard in frustration. "What is *&#@ing wrong with these people!? I'm a &%#$ing girl, and I can figure this &%@$ out!"

Of course the whole guild broke out in laughter across voice comms. My friends and housemates came into the room to see if she was ok. It was bloody hilarious.

Oddly enough, we continue to down the boss on the next try with a record high number of people alive at the end: 9/25.

lol I know what you're talking about.  Heigan the Unclean's "Safety Dance".  Yeah, I remember that being the death of many raiders, and the frustration it created.  Not meaning to brag, but after dying to it my first time, I remember looking at my screen, as everyone else "danced" through the eruptions from the floor.  I learned from looking, and never died to the dance, since.  

The hardest boss fight I remember having as a PuR (pick-up raid), was the Four Horsemen.  10-man, or 25-man, that fight was always horrific, for the raids I was a part of.  Dps having to switch off, from one Horseman to the next, while the tanks juggled aggro, and healers were all over the place trying to heal everbody, when ish inevitably went wrong, lol.  I remember hearing all kinds of different tactic from raid leaders, on how to take them down.  Some raids just completely skipped them, altogether.  I do remember being in a raid that beat them, once.  Great feeling!  Kel'thuzad was easier in comparison, imo.
  • Options
    WoW Vanilla - way back when before battlegrounds and tons of raids - back when there was a real community alive and well. Someone set up a 2v2/3v3/5v5 in the Gurubashi Arena down in STV. We had a huuuuge showing and a ton of fun. The community was incredible, even if you were on opposite factions there was love. It was a blast and a great way to meet people and make friends. This was back when you could mind control and talk to people on the opposite factions so it was easy to communicate.  I have a ton of amazing memories from vanilla WoW, lots of little things, bits and pieces that were just a great way to spend my time with people who were similar to me.
  • Options
    Now I'm thinking of all kinds of other stories that are amazing. 

When world bosses were a thing in vanilla and we had a deal worked out to trade with the opposite faction guild and we got our turns mixed up so they came out to fight us for it. But this was the world boss dragon in azshara and when you died you had to either wait like 10 minutes to rez up or you would be frozen in an iceblock if you got too close to the boss. We were constantly dying back and forth fighting over this boss trying to keep the other from killing. It was a ton of fun.

The farming of mats to open AQ and the actual opening. I worked 12hr shifts and a friend of mine that I worked with was on my server. There was a plan to open the gates and who would open them. The Alliance backstabbed the Horde by going to open early and stealing the reward. We found out via the forums that it opened early and both rushed out for an early lunch break to participate only for the servers to crash on our way home. When we finally got in, my computer was so much garbage and the server was so overloaded that I would hit something and not move for like 10 seconds and it would be dead when I started moving again. 

The hakkar debuff outbreak was craziness in the major cities.

The time we thought we wiped on Nefarion but then our priest kited and finished him off after like 5 rather suspenseful minutes. Smite ftw! 39 people lay dead waiting for him to die only for him to kill the boss.
  • Options
    I have 2 favorite experiences that are related but completely opposite, both in DAoC.

DAoC: SI (the best expansion!)

This was my first MMO and I was getting used to the whole experience of leveling up, doing quests, killing things, gaining rewards, etc. Well I had progressed to the point where a quest sent me "out in realm". I didn't really grasp it's meaning at the time but it is basically the area where you can attack the opposing realms. The PvP area is HUGE in DAoC, spanning 12 maps plus dungeons, etc.

Anyways.........I was out there killing evil ents for their wood and was looking for the final boss mob when all of a sudden *flash* something appeared briefly and next thing I knew I was hovering above my dead corpse laying on the ground. I messaged my friend about the incident and he said, "Was probably a Shadowblade, you just got PKed dude!" I was like ???!!!!!!! WHAT!? Son of a....that was AWESOME! How do I do that? It was my first time being killed in PvP and I have been hooked on PvP games ever since.

Next experience was years later.....DAoC NF.

I was manning a rampart of the castle we were defending at night with my Friar when a stealther jumped me! I was all, holy muther how did he get up here?! It was a hard fought battle but once I popped celerity I went to town on his ass and sticked him to death. About a half hour later I was jumped AGAIN. It was the same stealther but when he saw who he had jumped he promptly turned around and jumped off the edge, killing himself. He didn't want me kicking his ass again so he killed himself to deprive me of the realm pts/kill. YES /flex :D

• Options
    Let me tell ou guys a story which happened eons ago in a not-so-forsaken-game-but-no-one-here-surely-know-about-it, where pvp was a bit "unrestrained".

So, there was this political thing where there were a president and his vice and whatever in all 4 nations of the game. Our dear president at that time found it funny to put the taxes at the auction house up to 90%.

I can only let you guys image how we, citizens, wanted to skin him alive and offer his bones to @Megs so she can chew on them till nothing remain.

Anyway, so that motherf I mean our kind and beloved president received negatives 'appreciations' on the politic system and was soon to be dismissed forcibly by us. Thus, our guild decided to do something which could make us rich to no bounds.

We decided to raid the government. (And kill everyone in our way no matter who they were too, but that's collateral damage)

However, there were laws. So each time we killed a citizen or someone from another country we would lose citizens' point and finally become outlaws and then something like "wanted dead or alive". But we didn't care and continued our slaughter.

We managed to get to the building where the president was hiding and chain killed him until he dc'ed. When he came back, we knew and did it again. This lasted for few hours. Until he asked us what we wanted to make it stop.

We asked for all of the money in the treasury. And he accepted.

And at that moment, he lost his power as the president because his popularity was too low, we got our arse kicked by the other players and since we were so low in the negatives we had a ridiculous amount of jail time. I remember I had like 8hours or something close to that.

Why is it my favorite memory? Although chain killing people isn't fun for the other player and I admit that I did feel bad at some point, the slaughter we did on our way was the most enjoying experience I ever had.

That's also why I loved playing as a Kuma on Tera :3