Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

NA West players

There are already other threads like "Where are you from?" but I was hoping to narrow it down to just players who'll most likely play on North America's western servers.

I don't want to be expecting to see Nagash and his army of merrily dancing skeletons, and then find out that his old bones were European (which he has now confirmed is the case).

For the sake of privacy, don't provide overly detailed accounts of location but it'd be nice to vaguely know who we may run across on some of the NA West servers.

As for myself, I'm from Vancouver, Canada.

Cheers, and see you all in game in a few years (hopefully).

Comments

• Options
    I am from Vancouver also. No, the other one, the Washington one. No, the other Washington. *sigh*  ;)
  • Options
    Solarion said:

I don't want to be expecting to see Nagash and his army of merrily dancing skeletons, and then find out that his old bones were European.

Sorry to say but I am indeed from Europe well the UK to be exact 
  • Options
    Sozia said:
    I am from Vancouver also. No, the other one, the Washington one. No, the other Washington. *sigh*  ;)
    As a lover of Vancouver, and one whose been in DC and Seattle this made me chuckle ;)
  • Options
    In the wild wild west of LA
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017

"As for myself, I'm from Vancouver, Canada. I'd hope that most NA people would know it lol."

I spend a good part of the year very close to Victoria. We could almost communicate by yodeling.

• Options
    Sozia said:
    Ohhhhhh you mean Portland??

XD  Reppin' Seattle here.
  • Options
    @NGLitov
    *gasps in shock* Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo.  (though I was there for dinner last night) 
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Solarion said:

I don't want to be expecting to see Nagash and his army of merrily dancing skeletons, and then find out that his old bones were European.

Sorry to say but I am indeed from Europe well the UK to be exact 
    @nagash
    New title unlocked: Nagash, "Breaker of Hearts"

JKJK. It's a shame the god of the suns and the god of undeath couldn't duel it out. It looks like you'll be controlling the European servers unless Krojak can hold off your undead legions.
  • Options

"As for myself, I'm from Vancouver, Canada. I'd hope that most NA people would know it lol."

I spend a good part of the year very close to Victoria. We could almost communicate by yodeling.

Nice!

*Clears throat and watches the chicken attack video to prepare
    https://youtu.be/miomuSGoPzI

• Options
    @Sozia

:o  isn't Portland rated one of the best places to live in the US?

@Hinbane

Living the dream?  

@NGLitov

I'm hoping to find work in Seattle sometime in the near future. I wouldn't want to give up my Canadian citizenship but I'd so much rather be earning a USD income and experiencing the consumer selection down in the States. 

• Options
    Solarion said:
    @Sozia

:o  isn't Portland rated one of the best places to live in the US?

Depends. It's probably one of there more racially divided cities on the West Coast and there's an odd mix of white supremacists and civil rights protesters. 

Source: Live long Oregon resident currently in an undisclosed city south of Portland. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @Solarion, Ok, since you asked (I know you didn't) here is my problem with Portland. I live in Vancouver which has many unflattering names because it 'isn't as cool as Portland.' There are a lot of loud people in Portland who are very intent on making sure everyone knows how awesome it is and how inferior you are if you live somewhere else. 

Sample conversations:
    Them: Where do you live?
    Me: Vancouver the city, Washington the state (since if you put it any other way people get confused.)
    Them: Oh, that really is too bad you should try living in a real city.
    Me:I have lived in LA and St Louis (loved St. Louis) and Seattle those are pretty big cities. 
    Them: Portland is a really big city with a lot of culture, you miss out on so much. Is there any where to eat in Vancouver?
    Me: No, I wish there were places to eat here but until we have running water and electricity that won't happen. 
    Them: We have so much here, you should try living in a big city.
    Me: Uh huh. 

Not all or even that many Portlanders are are Really this way. Just enough to make you lose your mind. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @Karthos, I do love Oregon. I am a 5th generation Oregonian. Ok, now I live in Washington and yah, for sure it is an odd state. SHARPS on one side of the street and Nazis on the other side. Well, back in the day. :)

Anyhow... yah, NA server will be good. I play off hours but will still be based on one. 
  • Options
    @Karthos
    That's surprising. Shows what happens when one gets their impression from the media and the snippets of information one gets from people who've only been there as tourists! Thanks for the insider take. Politics aside, my image was that the city's design, infrastructure, and job market are top notch.
  • Options
    @Solarion, really it can be a great place to live. I love the PNW. It just isn't all roses and sunshine. Very little sunshine in Portland, roses though. How good life is there just depends on the person, skill, luck and a host of other things much like it does anywhere else.  You do need to be ok with lack of sun though.  No joke. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Solarion said:
    @Karthos
    That's surprising. Shows what happens when one gets their impression from the media and the snippets of information one gets from people who've only been there as tourists! Thanks for the insider take. Politics aside, my image was that the city's design, infrastructure, and job market are top notch.
    It's actually because of the the trendiness of Portland that a lot of the city has been gentrified, so wealthier people are buying up property in the the city. The cost of living in Portland is pretty terrible because of this. It's an odd place where it's actually cheaper to live an hour away and commute into the city than it is to live there but it's a badge of honor to live in apparent poverty just so you can say you live in one of the various "districts" that make up the city. 

It's a cool city, a lot of rich culture and history, and it's for sure living up to the "Keep Portland Weird" motto, but there's tons about the city that people just don't know about because it's glossed over. It's true there is a ton of truth to a lot of the Portlandia skits, but of course it focuses just on a small part of the city. 

People see Oregon as this huge Blue state full of liberal hippies, but the entire eastern part of the state (where I grew up) is very very conservative, while so is the southwestern corner of the state as well. Just the pocket around Portland is a huge portion of the state's population and so they decide the politics of the state. 

Oregon is for sure an interesting place to live, Portland especially, but when ever people from out of state tell me they want to move here, I kindly tell them they may want to do more than watch TV to see what the city is really like. 

• Options
    @Karthos
    @Sozia

Thanks for sharing! It's all interesting for me as someone who has only seen a small portion of the States (well, to be fair, I've hardly seen much of my own country Canada because it's just as ridiculously large in size. Japan, my second home country, is much more manageable in terms of size lol).

Also, I second that Sozia (re: our region).

Hopefully, all you fine NA West folks will end up on the same server as me!  I'm not sure how many servers Intrepid has planned per region but I recall Steven saying improvements in technology allow them to limit the number to a few mega servers.

Maybe one day soon when the Internet and data transmission advances far enough, lag and latency issues will be a thing of the past and we can just have non-regional servers with people connecting from all over the world. 
  • Options

I'm hoping to find work in Seattle sometime in the near future. I wouldn't want to give up my Canadian citizenship but I'd so much rather be earning a USD income and experiencing the consumer selection down in the States. 

@Solarion

The irony is that I am actually doing the exact opposite. I am working as a contractor for a company in VBC while living in Seattle. In fairness, I do have them pay me in USD but its just funny (and a good backup plan if carrot-top goes nuts).
  • Options
    @NGLitov

Well then, I am certainly envious of your situation! How is life in Seattle? My childhood memory of Seattle is that it was similar to Vancouver but it has been so long that I cannot recall clearly.
  • Options
    ummm, i know im not from NA, or the west coast, but if im from Earth, is that close enough to join in these cool conversations?
  • Options
    ummm, i know im not from NA, or the west coast, but if im from Earth, is that close enough to join in these cool conversations?
    Of course, fellow Ashian. I just would've assumed that any talk of NA West would be boring to someone outside the region  :p

As I posted above
    Maybe one day soon when the Internet and data transmission advances far enough, lag and latency issues will be a thing of the past and we can just have non-regional servers with people connecting from all over the world. 

Hopefully, we'll all be able to play on the same server soon without lag :)

• Options
    I'm from southern California :smile:
  • Options
    @Loyheta

Welcome aboard the West Coast express  B)
  • Options
    @Solarion Dude... I do ☀️

@Loyheta You in LA? OC? San Diego?
  • Options
    I'm from Seattle, WA.  

New here.  My bro brought the game to my attention and now I'm hyped trying not to get more hyped, but excited to see where this goes.
  • Options
    Loyheta said:
    I'm from southern California :smile:
    Get outta here, out, out! *chases with rolled up news paper

I jest :) 

But seriously

• Options
    Spokane, WA. The good side of the mountains :smile:
  • Options
    San Diego, California here!  Although I live near the beach I find plenty of time to nerd out for countless hours!  I love games and surfing,  Cheers!   If any of you are surfers I work for a game company by the name of YouRiding and we develop surf games for surfers made by surfers.... I think being a gamer and a surfer has helped heaps with the company! 

Yewwww AOC is going to be Lit lvl 100
  • Options
    whats up guys! im from washington :P I cant wait to play this game >.<

• Options
    Also from Vancouver, Canada. I know (almost) nothing about MMOs, but I'm curious, so I hope the 1-2 years before launch will be enough time for me to learn how to game. Would you say it's a good sign this game inspires non-gamers to try out the genre for the first time?