Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Unarmed Zealot Class

Will there be room for an unarmed class such as the Tumerok Zealot in AC 2 with some gloriously mean looking Cestus, Katars, various wicked Handblades with the Tumerok Tribal Twist etc.  What a fun class for melee, high mobility, quick striking bleeds, bash etc.
You could use this( http://www.ac2wiki.info/index.php/Zealot)  for inspiration. They finally got the class right at the end of the game. It was somewhat dangerous but so fun to play.

Comments

• Options
    some old gameplay footage. https://youtu.be/HIoIcP_0q-Q
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017

I doubt it, but...
    What would that be?
    Fighter/Rogue??  Fighter/Cleric??

• Options
    It is a melee class, no healing ( except for a self heal) pure dps, utilizing hand blades (more rogue like) more like unarmed combat but not a monk. This class does massive damage through direct melee damage, and bleeds and disabling effects. Highly mobile (same armor class as a rogue) but not a tank. The Tumerok were a very fun race to play, everything about them was unique, nature oriented ( like an aboriginal people) with a long tribal history of proud warriors, healers and tanks and range classes; including a unique to this day Hive Keeper Class that used insects for ranged and dot attacks.
  • Options
    Well Monks were a thing in everquest and many of the staff have worked on SOE games so it is possible.

I'm speculating fighter/rogue or rogue/fighter for the agility based fighter or even Rogue/Tank for Tank/Rogue for the avoidance based martial classes. 
  • Options
    What i am trying to say it i love rogue classes, but it would be nice to see another take on it similar to what turbine did here with the Tumerok race which encompassed all classes but did it in a way that was unique to the Race and made it interesting and different not just race x of class A

• Options
    You know the old saying brains beat brawn well I think this applies here
  • Options
    I don't understand the relevance of your comment Nagash. Please explain.
  • Options
    I feel like this would be another class entirely. I don't think a sub is going to affect which weapon you use, if so it would be the weapon of the sub itself. Monks have never been anything I liked nor against in previous games, just not my style
  • Options
    Weapons will affect the abilities you use, but are not restricted by archetype.
    I expect Rogue to be using dodges and rolls to avoid getting hit.
    I also expect Swashbuckler to be a subclass of Fighter.
    Seems to me Monk would also be a subset of Fighter, though it could be a subset of Tank.

Perhaps Swashbuckler is Fighter/Rogue while Monk is Tank/Rogue.
    I doubt the devs will add extra primary Adventurer archetypes before launch.

• Options
    Uzial said:
    Will there be room for an unarmed class such as the Tumerok Zealot in AC 2 with some gloriously mean looking Cestus, Katars, various wicked Handblades with the Tumerok Tribal Twist etc.  What a fun class for melee, high mobility, quick striking bleeds, bash etc.
    You could use this( http://www.ac2wiki.info/index.php/Zealot)  for inspiration. They finally got the class right at the end of the game. It was somewhat dangerous but so fun to play.
    @Uzial OMG!!!! A fellow AC player!!! Hail to thee, friend. I come from AC as well! *kneel* Katars were pretty awesome back in the day... before the whole weapon switch to Light/Finesse/Heavy Weapons.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I have been hoping for a Monk class myself. Many of the Devs are from games that have had Monks like EQ, Vanguard, and the like.

My only problem is, how would you do so based on the options and what is still available.
  • Options
    I have been hoping for a Monk 
    I would like to try out a monk class as well. I hope they implement one. Will you keep your name if they dont? 
  • Options
    Welphgryn said:
    I have been hoping for a Monk 
    I would like to try out a monk class as well. I hope they implement one. Will you keep your name if they dont? 

Oh yeah HA, I never really made that connection. The WH Skaven PlagueMonk is an entirely different creature than a "normal" monk. I do like the unarmed monastic fighter type however with often interesting skill sets including healing. I wonder if maybe a Rogue/Cleric might be "monkish"?

As an aside......I picked up the name PlagueMonk when WAR first started. I knew nothing about the game it was based on and when I found the Skaven and Clan Pestilens I was in and the basic troop unit suited my taste best so I started using it.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Seems like bruiser class or Savage from Daoc ( http://camelotherald.wikia.com/wiki/Savage )...
    If talks about monks: usually in their design not so mush logic(since prototype usually is Monk / Mystic from tabletop games 80 's)/or some balance between asian /western culture... Friar zeee best (Daoc), but i also likes inner energy manipulation things.

• Options
    Welphgryn Hail, fellow AC player. the mechanics and style imparted by the Tumeroks were awesome. The tribal feel they gave to the game was great. Almost as good as the feeling when I would chain together Skull cracker, Back Breaker and Spine ripper on a GM during the early faction pvp events and watch them melt under the pressure of those bleeds lol. Once they realized you landed your deadly combo they would always go after you because they knew they were going to die lol