Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

To dye or not to dye?

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited June 2017 in Ashes of Creation Design
Howdy, Ashlings! 

I saw the Transmog post and it seems that most of the community wants to transmog their gear to look as unique as possible.

I was wondering about dyes. In Guild Wars 2, they have a system where you can dye parts of your gear with a range of different colours. Some people use it to make themselves look flipping amazing, where others use it to embrace their inner clowns. I was wondering if my fellow Ashlings would also like to see this system or a variant of this system implemented into Ashes of Creation.

Comments

• Well, AoC will have it's own dye system.   Most dyes will be one time use items, but there are some dye sets available in the kickstarter rewards that will be permanently available to you, if you got them.   Time will tell if there were be other special "permanently available" dyes in the game. 

I do like how GW2 did it, I think they've done it the best thus far.  They treated dyes like collectables, which made colors you might not normally be interested in more fun to find. 
  • I cast my vote with trepidation here, because while I do think dying gear should be allowed, I also think the color pallet available should be different depending on what type of gear is being dyed.  For example, I dont think people should be able to dye platemail hot pink, or sky blue, or whatever.  Maybe only allow the die to affect materials that are actually dyeable, and have a range available to select from.  Having people running around looking like clowns, as you put it, kind of ruins immersion.
  • Severok said:
    I cast my vote with trepidation here, because while I do think dying gear should be allowed, I also think the color pallet available should be different depending on what type of gear is being dyed.  For example, I dont think people should be able to dye platemail hot pink, or sky blue, or whatever.  Maybe only allow the die to affect materials that are actually dyeable, and have a range available to select from.  Having people running around looking like clowns, as you put it, kind of ruins immersion.
    I think this is another area GW2 got right, is that colors didn't quite look the same across the board.... it depends on what material they were being applied to.  A Hot Pink dye might be very vibrant on cloth, but on shiny metal, the pinkness was more in the sheen and reflection of the material.   Color and material both were almost equal parts the factor.  Color + Material = Final Appearance.
  • Severok said:
    I cast my vote with trepidation here, because while I do think dying gear should be allowed, I also think the color pallet available should be different depending on what type of gear is being dyed.  For example, I dont think people should be able to dye platemail hot pink, or sky blue, or whatever.  Maybe only allow the die to affect materials that are actually dyeable, and have a range available to select from.  Having people running around looking like clowns, as you put it, kind of ruins immersion.
    I like the way you think, sir! 
  • I say Dyes are an essential to MMO now, WoW has transmog, ESO has dyes and people prefer the dye system.

It gives a player freedom. If they look like clowns that's up to them. but most mage robes in games look like clown suits. so really it's no difference. 
  • I share @Severok's trepidation.  I like dyes and the ability they afford us to make our gear look unique.  I hate garish and gaudy color combos that are completely immersion breaking.  GW2 has some of the most ridiculous looking characters I've ever seen and I used to wish I could add them to my ignore list and they'd just disappear from my screen.  That would have been wonderful.
  • I loved being able to dye my gear in GW2.  Wish we had more permanent dyes than the Kickstarter Backer ones.
  • I almost went for the I love to dye, but  you gave me a bear option!!
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Yes to dyes. Yes to appropriate colour pallets depending on base material as suggested by the others here. 

To dye is to live. 
  • T-Elf said:
    I loved being able to dye my gear in GW2.  Wish we had more permanent dyes than the Kickstarter Backer ones.

Craftable dyes and store bought dyes could possibly give you an endless supply of dyes to use. 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    I think dyes are one of the best perks of the kickstarter considering millions of people will play the game but only 19,576 people will have the KS dye colors. I'm hoping for burnt orange.
  • Being able to dye armor will give those players who are much more creative than myself to come up with some great combos and opens up more trade in the game. 
  • ...wait actually I don't want to die. A little too soon for that, much too young.
  • ...wait actually I don't want to die. A little too soon for that, much too young.
    Dye, not die! Silly billy!  :D
  • I'm all for customization but I also like to judge a players level based on their gear, I am the loner who voted "no" because of this. Yet, I don't even know how the gear to levels will work in this game.

On the other hand, did anyone notice the one person who voted "Don't know, don't care. I'm a bear!" is LITERALLY a bear!  :o