Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The Art of Tanking

What makes a title great or not differs between people. But for me the gameplay itself is paramount. I loved ME:A simply because I could run around and enjoy fighting,  even though the story and everything else was mediocre. As someone who has played a good majority of MMO's strictly as a healer. I feel that the role itself needs some sort of love. But one cannot talk about healing without a tank. The two roles essentially complete each other. And as much as I love healing, I think tanking is a role that very few people ever want to do. For the most part Tanking just feels like being a sturdy DPS and I feel that they need a niche role in the group. Threat/Aggro should be a prevalent thing. But having it as a bar that the tank and dps are constantly fighting over just seems more of a pain. And the dreaded "Stop Dpsing" moment, because they are pulling aggro from the tank is no fun for anyone. The tank feels like he isn't doing a good enough job. And the dps have to twiddle their thumbs like idiots for a few seconds.

The Art of Tanking: Attention Span!
          The idea behind Attention Span tanking. Is that every mob will only feel threatened if that threat is maintained. Imagine two people, one is constantly poking you in the ribs. Minor annoyance, but you are starting to get pissed at him. Then another guy walks up and simply slaps you in the face. The first is instantly forgotten and your rage shifts to the second. But that man simply ups and wanders off to do something else. You stew and try to give chase, but as the first man keeps poking you. Your anger quickly shifts back to him.
          The tanks abilities generate threat for only a certain duration. So for 1-2 mobs, the tank can keep their aggro upon him with diligent shifting his abilities and attacks between them. So for large groups of enemies coordination between the tank and dps will be paramount.  Who is the tank attacking, what mob is safe to focus down. The tank is the leader of the party, and I feel should dictate the flow of the battlefield. A person not paying attention could bring danger upon himself with an attack onto a wrong target. For if the tank isn't hitting a unit, why should that enemy feel any need to stay on him if he just got shot in the back?
      How would this go about? For example, the Tank could have the ability "Mocking Blow" which does X damage and generates priority threat for 6 seconds. For those 6 seconds, the tank can run around and do whatever he likes and keep threat. But if a Dps hits the target after 6, the target will immediately turn towards the newer threat. Unless the tank refreshes it with another attack. AoE will also have to be coordinated within the group. The Tank could have a move "Bellowing Roar" that dazes everyone around him and generates priority threat on all targets hit for 8 seconds. During that time the Dps could go all out, but will have to be careful of the timing unless they pull everything after the vital 8 seconds have passed. What this simple system could do is add a closer relationship with the tank and dps. The tank dictating the flow of battle, while giving the DPS something more to think about than just their combo rotations. Bosses and Raids would only add more flavor, dynamic, and team coordination depending on the encounters. It's a simple system but I think it would make the Tank feel like they have a very specific role in the group than just "Soak Damage".

Let me know what you think. If you like the idea, if it's just plain horrible. If there's anything you would change or fix.