Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What's your favorite crafting system in any game?

So what's your favorite crafting system in any game that exist?

I enjoy runescape basic crafting system and the progression back when I started PC gaming, but then I found better systems out there. Final Fantasy XIV crafting system makes things look simple but hard to master, Black Desert Online makes you go do quests to learn how to do certain crafting techniques so you can perform more options. I enjoy Everquest 2's Crafting and how the progress is like on that game, with the chance of earning double the amount of items or have something of better quality. 

There so many games that add in many different ways of doing things, and some crafting system requires me to have a guiding hand on how to acquire and achieve it. Some kinda limits you with some short of energy map so you don't earn it all in one day (which sadly I don't care much for in the first place, I don't got that kind of time). 

Comments

• Options
    Crafting in Black Desert Online, a mix of player gather/crafting, and player owned bots for when you'd rather do something else.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    I can tell you my least favorite.

Original FF14. Before the Realm Reborn. Little color orbs, no idea how it worked. The Devs didn't even seem to know. It was a literal crap shoot and then the game would eat your mats. Literally trial and error with error being the typical out come. Just stare at an orb that changed colors, the colors were supposed to mean something but no one knew what because it was so random.

But I knew. I knew they meant "suck it, mwhaha"

Anyway, to answer your question, I really enjoy EQ2's crafting as well.
  • Options
    With the living world mechanic, It be interesting to see how it plays out when you noticed your favorite spot for ore end up being overruned by dragon whelps or other creatures that needs to be eliminated to continue harvesting.  As well as the reveal of newer resources as well that be uncovered in places you never seen before...

It's also interesting to do some dangerous mining near an active volcano, and new materials come out everytime that volcano erupts... possibly some rare materials. 
  • Options
    monster hunter

you got out fight monsters, search for special monsters and then craft armor that looks like a dinosaur
  • Options
    I think Everquest 2 was pretty good. 
  • Options
    Star Wars Galaxies had a pretty deep crafting system.  Resources spawned with random stats, so if you had some god-rolled resource you'd be able to roll good weapons. You'd sometimes have to wait week or months for a good spawn. 
  • Options
    I loved EVE online's crafting as it felt like it took time to make things (so much time) 
  • Options
    Mechanics wise I'd have to say Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn or Istaria (an old MMO that let you customize the appearance, such as the hilt and blade on a sword).

• Options
    For me, it was Ultima Online.

It was amazing to have to actually get buckets of water to make your dough, and then  fill the pie with apples, berries or whatever! Then pop those in the actual oven and cook your pies.
  • Options
    One thats NOT rng.
  • Options
    One that isn't gather mats and click, but requires some work and skill to figure things out.  Everquest 2 and Vanguard both seemed to have good systems, though admittedly I didn't play either game for long.  Also, Wildstar has/had an interesting system for discovering cooking recipes.
  • Options
    SWG in my opinion had the best crafting and resource spawning system ever to issue forth from a mmo.  I am costantly apauled by the lack of depth in modern crafting systems.  The lack of attempts to duplicate it makes me wonder if maybe it was just to indepth for a modern gaming comunity (present company accepted of course) Im hoping Ashes will give us a system that gives commited artisans an opertunity to stand out rather than everyone being able to do everything with the minimum of effort.  It certainly seems to be the intent .  So fingers crossed.  
  • Options
    EverQuest2 definitely was/is my favorite for crafting.  It makes crafting very rewarding in many ways; where it fails was making crafting products not as good or useful in some respects especially for doing gear.  But this was over a period of time. When it was in it's hayday, Mastercrafted was special and desired especially at the beginning of each tier.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    SWG in my opinion had the best crafting and resource spawning system ever to issue forth from a mmo.  I am costantly apauled by the lack of depth in modern crafting systems.  The lack of attempts to duplicate it makes me wonder if maybe it was just to indepth for a modern gaming comunity (present company accepted of course) Im hoping Ashes will give us a system that gives commited artisans an opertunity to stand out rather than everyone being able to do everything with the minimum of effort.  It certainly seems to be the intent .  So fingers crossed.  

Swg was amazing because it's really quality of materials over quantity. While crafters honed their skill and perfected their craft, they will be unable to craft the best weapons unless the gatherers collected the best resources. 

Depending on the combination of resources, the outcome will be different. Allowing variation without too much frustrating rng at the crafting end. 

I agree that that, till now, is still something I've not seen in an mmo I've played. 

@T-Elf and @Xenantaya oh Yah! Eq2 had a cute crafting system initially where the crafting process was actually a mini game. You had to counter negative events and use crafting powers to try and make the craft as successful as possible. Instead of the current "put in resources, set number of crafts, go do something else" type of crafting common in Mmos. Convenient I must admit, but boring. 
  • Options
    @AutumnWillow I still do the mini game, and not all crafts can do the multi-product crafting, which was designed mostly for people who made food for guilds so they didn't have to do just a few at a time, plus you can't level or get experience if you do it that way.
  • Options
    Star Wars Galaxies had a pretty deep crafting system.  Resources spawned with random stats, so if you had some god-rolled resource you'd be able to roll good weapons. You'd sometimes have to wait week or months for a good spawn. 

yes.
  • Options
    I would say guild wars 2 was simple and had unique stuff ( twilight) 
  • Options
    For me definitely and always Saga of Ryzom. This game was much overlooked by the MMO populace, but still enjoys a loyal niche playerbase after 12 years and 2 bankruptcies! All that aside the game holds a special place in my heart and a lot of modern MMOs could learn a thing or 2 from it in terms of MOB/world design, community, and especially the crafting system.
  • Options

Swg was amazing because it's really quality of materials over quantity. While crafters honed their skill and perfected their craft, they will be unable to craft the best weapons unless the gatherers collected the best resources. 

Depending on the combination of resources, the outcome will be different. Allowing variation without too much frustrating rng at the crafting end. 

I agree that that, till now, is still something I've not seen in an mmo I've played. 

@T-Elf and @Xenantaya oh Yah! Eq2 had a cute crafting system initially where the crafting process was actually a mini game. You had to counter negative events and use crafting powers to try and make the craft as successful as possible. Instead of the current "put in resources, set number of crafts, go do something else" type of crafting common in Mmos. Convenient I must admit, but boring. 
    Yeah I miss the Everquest 2 crafting system, I didn't enjoy SWG after that one update that everybody hates, I joined in at the wrong time before the game end up closing down for good after lots of people left. 
  • Options
    There were actually two crafting pieces I liked in Nexus TK:

First, for subpaths, in order to learn the path-specific weapon crafting ability you needed to be a guide (which was basically reserved for a very select few people), then you needed to pay a lot of money and resources just to pay for and learn the spell.  After that, you needed to cast the spell which had crazy long aethers (basically it's an instant cast, but the cooldown was anywhere between 12 hours and 1 week of in-game time).  On top of that, it cost a special item and quite a hefty amount of experience.

Since there was a binding system, the experience and items were paid by the other person instead of the caster, which was nice.  I like the idea of the cost of materials coming from the other person, and the "cooldown" was basically on the spell itself, which meant you were limited on how often you could cast the spell.  Since the spell was very restricted on who could even have access to it, and even more-so on who was allowed to have the weapon, none of the timers were ever a problem or ever seemed like it was "time-gating" in any form.

They also had a secondary system item creation where you had NO Idea what items would create what things.  It basically took YEARS for some people to figure out a couple of things.  I'm sure there's even still a number of different things that have never been discovered, and it's one of the oldest mmorpg's out there.
  • Options
    Sadly I don't think I've found to many decent crafting systems. I like the more complicated ones where you can freely customize and adjust things to your liking though.
  • Options
    I don't really have a crafting system that I think is perfect.  But I enjoyed some aspects of the gw2 crafting system, but there are parts about that too that i dislike.

I trust Intrepid knows what to do 
  • Options
    One crafting system that I did find enjoyable was the The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, With what Enchanting and Blacksmithing can go hand to hand on making the most powerful gear. I've once crafted myself some gear that improves my enchanting, and blacksmithing... I found out that After drinking some potions that enhanced my enchanting, when my enchanting skill is maxed out... I can actually enchant things that go beyond the limit, so crafted myself another set of enchanting equipment clothes, and made another whole set of combat gear, I've gone though legendary status on most gear, and become more powerful then the base itself... it was an interesting and powerful system that I enjoyed... I could make a sneak gear, and I still won't get spotted even if I was right in front of the person, it was kinda amazing to break the system.
  • Options
    If we're really talking any game. I think Atelier Sophie had a good system with every material having their own grades and effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpZISjUSNJs
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    I can tell you my least favorite.

Original FF14. Before the Realm Reborn. Little color orbs, no idea how it worked. The Devs didn't even seem to know. It was a literal crap shoot and then the game would eat your mats. Literally trial and error with error being the typical out come. Just stare at an orb that changed colors, the colors were supposed to mean something but no one knew what because it was so random.

But I knew. I knew they meant "suck it, mwhaha"

Anyway, to answer your question, I really enjoy EQ2's crafting as well.
    I have you beat hands down......DAoC was many great things but crafting was not among them. It was about as rudimentary as you could get.......you would have your mats (your expensive mats), pick an item to level up on, hit the button and a bar would appear, 3-4 secs later the bar would fill and you would either hear a "flat *bong* or a pleasant *ping*. The higher you rose in level, the more expensive the mats got and the more bongs you heard. THAT was it.

Of all the games I have played to date, I enjoyed ESO's the most. Anyone can craft and there were a lot of useful crafts but to be a true master in some takes you literally a year due to the training time it took on higher levels. Most give up and only the true crafters went all the way and collected all the motifs.