Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Story and Narrative = How tied will you be to the story?

I was wondering what people think about following the given story or not. I assume that there will be some sort of main story questline that you can follow, similar to what GW and ESO has. Personally I never really liked these quests, as they mostly focus on singleplayer and doing stuff on your own, and given that this is a mmo i feel like it's not needed.  Id much more rather have the freedom to go about my ways and do whatever, and still be able to keep up with everyone else in terms of xp and everything,

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    I do like the idea of a story but I would love to see a guild wide story where you must do events to get guild items that change your guild in some way. That way you have people playing with each other and having a story at the same time.
  • Options
    Yeah I like that idea too. I'm sure they could implement it somehow.
  • Options
    Story, lore, and narrative are huge for me, as they're the foundations of the world my characters live within. I can't imagine, for myself, doing without them; they are the RPG in MMORPG that have drawn me to this genre. 

I enjoy doing things myself, for myself, of myself; in fact, it would be fair to state that there are times I require the ability to do this. But equally, I enjoy interaction with others; group efforts, people working together toward a common objective. But within the world, of the world, for and by the world; to me that means that story/lore/narrative are inherently absolutely necessary.

I also find myself quite a bit of a lore junkie; I mean, how many people know that harpies, in WoW, are supposed to be the cursed kin of the Night Elves? Or that it's not unknown for them to kidnap male Nelves in order to continue their species? Why do I know that? Cuz I went looking, and that led me down so many roads, just specific to the Nelves. 

Simply put, I would not find myself drawn to engaging in a world that didn't have a rich supply of this framework for me to allow my characters to build themselves within.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    I don't know how we cannot be inextricably tied to the story and lore when we are literally building the cities.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    I don't know how we cannot be inextricably tied to the story and lore when we are literally building the cities.
    That's why this game is awesome ^^
  • Options
    I'll be tied to the story, but eventually reach an unhappy moment: once the node my story line has its beginnings is destroyed, I might go on a rampage to reclaim that node to the exact same level - just to continue my story quests ^^
  • Options
    I don't pay to much attention to the story. I feel like each sever is going to be making its on story in AOC different to lore I know.
  • Options
    The best story, in my opinion, is the one the players themselves will write. I'm not particularly interested in stories about deities, ancient heroes or forgotten legends written by developers. It's cool to have them as a background for the world, but that should just be the starting point. I wish to hear tales about gamers, people like you and me, accomplishing epic deeds, winning heroic battles, discovering dark secrets.

I want to hear about the guild able to kneel down an entire node, reducing its might capital to a pile of ruins. 

I want to visit the richest city in the world, admire its court, covered in white marble and  adorned with gigantic statues.

I want to explore the most advanced city in the world, where (they say!) there are ships that allow you to fly like an eagle.

I want to admire the temples of the divine epicenter, hear the chants of the clerics and see miracles happen.

To shape the history of a server, to be part of it. That's what I'd like to experience the most in this game.
    Did you ever heard about the Bloodbath of B-R5RB?

• Options
    *cough* You are the story. :)
  • Options
    I plan on being tied to the story. I feel like the story will be a big part of this game.
  • Options
    Diura said:
    *cough* You are the story. :)
    That's the point!  <3
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    We might have the lore and past, but aren't we creating the lore for a new civilzation and world?   
  • Options
    Pretty much, my character is still deciding if he will try to be a Hero of the World, or just a complete jerk.
  • Options
    My sentiments echo those of @Isende, @Rhoqaro, and @CylverRayne.  All those perspectives, summed up into one.   :) 
  • Options
    I love Lore, WoW lore as an example I research through and read every chance I get because I like to use it in my Roleplay. Lore is also a -very- needed base to bring Roleplay into the game, it creates the 'rules' and perpetuates the imagination that form stories when put together.

To play a game for PvP, PvE and Economy you do not need to care about the Lore as proven with the the majority of WoW's playerbase... Lore is just added flavor that isn't for everyone at the end of the day and that is sad to say. However, I still think it is a needed concept that should be heavily looked into as every game has a 'soul' and the stronger the soul, the more connected things will be.

I hope the Ashes of Creation team decides to have a 'heart and soul' of the game and weave together an open ended story, shoot... Actually for this 'Side Stories' would be great to have of made up characters that aren't exactly 'leaders or major contributors' to the world. 
  • Options
    I never had any good story lines yet in a game but in DARK SOULS series or DMC or the first one was Titan quest after that I never got into a story so much .. but my main goal will be to get big and focus on economy/politics in game
  • Options
    As in another thread I mentioned how it would be nice if the GM's would join in game and play a specific role (i.e. specific gods) and run events that cause the story line to be player driven. Player characters would be able to be tied into the story line and embedded in the history of ashes
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    We might have the lore and past, but aren't we creating the lore for a new civilzation and world?   
    If we are creating the lore, we must be tied to it, yes?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Lore is undeniably a foundation of world building.
    If it does not appeal to me or help flesh out the environment then i will never feel invested.

Story has 2 sides. Once side I enjoy if it helps mature Lore.

the other side is forced personal  narrative and the "chosen one" syndrome which I hate.

I want to be the fly one wall and have the player population decide whether or not I am 'the chosen one"
  • Options
    As in another thread I mentioned how it would be nice if the GM's would join in game and play a specific role (i.e. specific gods) and run events that cause the story line to be player driven. Player characters would be able to be tied into the story line and embedded in the history of ashes
    The gods are really just a type of monster, no?
    We don't necessarily have to rely on GMs.
  • Options
    Uranu5 said:
    I love Lore, WoW lore as an example I research through and read every chance I get because I like to use it in my Roleplay.
    Awesome! I bought most of the WoW books, haven't finished any of them yet, but I plan on it.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Welphgryn said:
    Uranu5 said:
    I love Lore, WoW lore as an example I research through and read every chance I get because I like to use it in my Roleplay.
    Awesome! I bought most of the WoW books, haven't finished any of them yet, but I plan on it.

@Welphgryn YEEE! Nice, yea' though IMO their best to me were the Chronicles they created... Defining there universe and solidifying the Lore was a big milestone for them to do for the fans. Also on a side note - Garrosh Did Nothing Wrong. 
  • Options
    I thought we where going to be a big part of the story, but there is going to be a lot of back story to explore, like why is there that ruins over there, what's the story behind this dungeon, what's the name of that ancient dragon, ect...