Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

In Game Mail (messenger pigeons)

Just a thought for when you send an in game mail to someone.

Rather than just having your character stand idle while you write perhaps:

1) Animation of character showing them writing on a note pad (or equivalent)
2) When you press send, a small carrier pigeon animation shows and the pigeon flys off into the distance
3) When you receive a  mail, the then reverse. A carrier pigeon can be seen flying in from distance to you.

The more actions in game that are representative of the actual actions players are undertaking the more diversity and possible more immersion. 

Just  a thought.

Comments

• Options
    Guild Wars 2 did the pigeon thing.  I kinda liked it.
  • Options
    I don't recall if it's been asked... Are we going to have in-game mail?  I mean, I've assumed we would.  But one should not assume anything with Ashes. 
  • Options
    Hi, never played Guild Wars 2, and just checked it.

Yes, that was my thought. No so original.

It would need to be designed around single mails and/or have a different animation for spam / multiple mails in quick succession.  The spam mail animation looked horrendous.

But if adjusted and done a little better, perhaps a flock coming in or going out for group mail would be quite fun to see!
  • Options
    I'd be open to it. What about Underrealm? Any ideas what type of flying creatures they'd have?
  • Options
    Welphgryn said:
    I'd be open to it. What about Underrealm? Any ideas what type of flying creatures they'd have?
    I vote bats.  ;) 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Welphgryn said:
    Bats, or bat-like creatures, I'd imagine.

Or Mynocks! 
  • Options
    Rivest said:
    Welphgryn said:
    I vote bats.  ;) 
    [Agree] Bats, giant wasps or wyvern. Defenseless doves would be eaten in a second ;)
  • Options
    Just a subtle touch, keep them small!
  • Options
    Can't we have skittering creatures taking mail from the under-realm?
  • Options
    I was hoping to have a hawk, more for scouting purposes but I really like your pigeon idea! +1 from me
  • Options
    Can rangers intercept pigeons for the purposes of spying? 
  • Options
    I would vote yes, I liked like to see that. The real question is... will you get corruption for killing someone's pigeon? I'd take it you would possibly be in a situation that doesn't need flagging such as guild war?
  • Options
    I would vote yes, I liked like to see that. The real question is... will you get corruption for killing someone's pigeon? I'd take it you would possibly be in a situation that doesn't need flagging such as guild war?
    Casting fireball on a flock of messenger pigeons will probably delevel you to level 1 once the bounty hunters get you. Lol.
  • Options
    Casting fireball on a flock of messenger pigeons will probably delevel you to level 1 once the bounty hunters get you. Lol.
    Every time I see a Phoenix I could possibly be seeing someone's pigeon that a mage attacked.....

"Oh look everyone! A phoenix!"
    "No, thats RootedBane's Carrier pigeon that AutumnWillow fireballed"
    :unamused:
  • Options
    The primary problem I see with this is that a large majority of in-game mail in most games has nothing to do with plans in the game.  It's mostly personal notes, or currency/items being sent to someone.
  • Options
    Possum said:
    The primary problem I see with this is that a large majority of in-game mail in most games has nothing to do with plans in the game.  It's mostly personal notes, or currency/items being sent to someone.
    Unless there are certain methods for clans to register for events such as sieges. You will be able to determine which side someone is registering for, defending? Attacking?
  • Options
    The first thing that came to mind was Battlefield 1's pigeon mini game. I never played it, but I imagined having to deliver you message as the pigeon.
  • Options
    Why would anyone use pigeons to transport messages in a world filled with magic?