Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

New here, hope its not another stupid caravaning clone. Classes and Races?

Hi. long time mmo'r(since eq 99). Just found out about this game from twitter add.  Looks real interesting although i hope its not an archeage game focusing on the stupid caravaning.  Love open world pvp and ganking. the seiging and nodes seem pretty sweet.  

What types of classes and races are in this game? (big in to magic and ranged)

Comments

• Options
  • Options

• Options
    @Lelabear47 Lucky for you, you can choose two classes. You could be a Ranger / Mage if you wanted. There is also a beast race called the Tulnar.
  • Options
    Could also be a Mage/Ranger.   :p
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Hi. long time mmo'r(since eq 99). Just found out about this game from twitter add.  Looks real interesting although i hope its not an archeage game focusing on the stupid caravaning.  Love open world pvp and ganking. the seiging and nodes seem pretty sweet.  

What types of classes and races are in this game? (big in to magic and ranged)
    There are currently 64 classes with 576 possible combinations. When you begin the game, you will pick your primary class from the 8 Archetypes that have already been listed. These Archetypes have ability changes and augments depending on which of the 9 races you pick from, each with their own benefits and hindrance to the class. Once you reach a certain level ((Tenative due to Pre-Alpha and subject to change)) you will pick your second Archetype. You may pick any of the same  8 Archetypes and dependent on your choice, your primary class abilities will receive an augment. Most popular example is a primary class fighter will get a teleport augment on his charge ability if he chooses a mage as his secondary class.

I went ahead and did the math for you on the magic/ranged preference. 

Disclaimer: This is the math for all PRIMARY classes as magical and ranged Archetypes. This does not include secondary class augments such as a Fighter/Mage.

For your magic users you can have a total of 36 classes with 324 possible combinations.

Ranged for physical is a bit more tricky, as technically any class can use any weapon. If I were to assume you wanted to go Ranger, then there would be a total of 9 classes with 81 possible combinations.

I won't hurt your head anymore with math, but as you can see there is plenty of choices to make and you are not stuck, or locked into a specific class ((Like Mage, Warlock, Priest, etc.)) Your class is what you want it to be. One reason I already love this game.

If you have any further questions, I will do my best to answer them with the limited information we currently have ((Which is still pretty vast))
  • Options
    If you prefer basic ranged physical damage, With the Ranger Archetype style there are a total of 5 classes with 45 possible combinations

If you wish to have magical augments for the Ranger Archetype there are 4 classes with 36 possible combinations.

This means that there are a total of 9 classes with 81 possible combinations for the Ranger Archetype.
    umm... typo?
  • Options

Welcome and hope you enjoy your trip with us.  Lots of info and great company here. 

To the ale and feast go --------------------------------------->
        or  go
    <---------------------------  to the Gank Plank

:) 
  • Options
    Love open world pvp and ganking. the seiging and nodes seem pretty sweet.  

Depending on what you mean by "ganking", you may be deeply disappointed.  While the devs at Intrepid are all about open world PvP, they have emphatically stated that Ashes of Creation will NOT be a "gank box" where you can endlessly murder someone without consequences.  

If you attack and kill a noncombatant who does not flag and fight back, you will incur corruption.  This corruption weakens your stats and makes you a target visible on the game map for everyone to hunt down and kill without any penalty on themselves.  Repeatedly murdering other players will over time reduce your stats so significantly that you will eventually become completely ineffective in combat.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, almost forgot to say, "Welcome to the community!"  :)
  • Options
    @Possum Awesome Signature!
  • Options
    Thanks!  I came up with the idea, but all credit for making it happen goes to @Kumary!  
  • Options
    34 classes in total on release and if we are lucky we may get even more after a few months
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    nagash said:
    34 classes in total on release and if we are lucky we may get even more after a few months
    isn't 8 x 8 = 64? 8 primaries each with 8 possible secondary combinations? haha.
  • Options
    Wasn't it something like 512 different combinations of class and race?
  • Options
    Elder said:
    576 if you multiply it by the 9 possible races. There's the Tulnar race as well :)
  • Options
    nagash said:
    isn't 8 x 8 = 64? 8 primaries each with 8 possible secondary combinations? haha.
    only half of them I like ^^
  • Options
    nagash said:
    nagash said:
    half of 64 is 32...  ;)
  • Options
    nagash said:
    nagash said:
    half of 64 is 32...  ;)
    +2 ^^

wow this turned into countdown 
  • Options
    Elder said:
    576 if you multiply it by the 9 possible races. There's the Tulnar race as well :)
    I completely forgot about the Tulnar. 

If you take in to account the different augments it will be nearly impossible to run into someone with the same build as you. 
  • Options
    Elder said:
    Elder said:

If you take in to account the different augments it will be nearly impossible to run into someone with the same build as you. 
    I agree and hopefully Intrepid will be able to balance it in a way that there won't be cookie cutters like you have to play a certain race with a certain class due to the best possible stats like a Vek orcs are the best Summoners and you MUST play a Dünir dwarf if you want to tank. 

• Options
    Kesarakk said:
    Elder said:
    Elder said:

I agree and hopefully Intrepid will be able to balance it in a way that there won't be cookie cutters like you have to play a certain race with a certain class due to the best possible stats like a Vek orcs are the best Summoners and you MUST play a Dünir dwarf if you want to tank. 

Nothing as good as being an individual!  There is no perfect "one size fits all" imho.
    People's play styles differ and as they say, there is more then one way to skin a cat!   

Poor kitty! 
  • Options
    Possum said:
    Thanks!  I came up with the idea, but all credit for making it happen goes to @Kumary!  
    After all that I didnt' realize I added a "non-finished" version of my signature :joy:

• Options
    lol If you've read all the above then you now know that you can be all that you want to be! :)
  • Options
    Wow. Thanks for all the replies. And the augmenting sounds cool. Always wanted individuality with say my wizard compared to other wizards.  Hopefully this augmenting will make uniqueness.  

I also don't like how in these modern mmos people just reroll their build like it's nothing. So either everyone had that one op build or make u roll In to it for party.  Kinda makes all the hours of grinding ur character meaningless