Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Gear/Weapon Limits

I know this is a weird thing to bring up for some people, but I think it needs to be discussed a bit. And since it technically is linked to game mechanics I thought this would be a good place to talk about it.

I'm wondering just how many pieces of gear/weapons you can equip to your character. In all examples of MMOs I've seen so far, in addition to your armor, you can only equip a maximum of 2 gear/weapon items. I realize this is done for some pretty simple, and probably obvious reasons, but I think that also results in missed opportunities. Being able to see your character equipped with three or more combat items can serve a few different purposes. For one it enables you to have a more distinct cosmetic look based on what is equipped (which is pretty obvious and par for the course), but it can also serve the purpose of seeing your primary and secondary weapons together instead of having to do a gear swap when you want to see that sort of thing, in addition, it can serve as a bit of an intimidation factor.

A character with a Claymore, Shortsword, and Longbow has a distinctive image that is hard to ignore and can serve as psychological warfare.

Comments

• Options
    I'm on the fence with this one. Maybe because I don't plan on a secondary weapon? I hope weapons are more difficult to get so you'd have to balance if a secondary is worth it. But, If this was the case... Would a tank holding a shield on his back as a secondary be defended from the rear?
  • Options
    eh....usually, and with this i mean historically, Warriors had one main weapon and a back up weapon. And depending on other Factors optional weapons. The Roman Legionnaire with his throwing spear, the pilum and then his main weapon set the gladius and the scutum. or the japanese samurai with his main weapon being the yumi and his backup weapon the katana, and on occasion even relying on spears and guns. And don't get me started with us europeans.....

But to be honest, before seeing that i really wish they would support one-handed gameplay first. Not dual-wield or sword'n'board. But one-handed combat. One hand with a one handed weapon, the other hand empty.

• Options
    I would be ok with it if it made sense. A fighter running around with a claymore and a massive warhammer strapped to his back will look silly. However if they designed it so that you can have a combination of different weapons based on your play style that would be fine. 

Example: Ranger uses his bow for ranged attacks and he switches to his two scimitars that are strapped to his belt and in a pinch he can draw a dagger. Or a Spellslinger/Battlemage who uses a spellbook or wand for ranged attacked, but pulls out a warhammer or sword for melee. These things I can see and would make sense.

As for gear swapping, I don't think there will be any use for it. As it stands, there isn't different gear for your different styles of play, such as PVP gear and PVE gear, and will the ability to customize gear and possibly even transmogging, Rpers won't have to worry about switching gear all the time.
  • Options
    Points have been made. I think this goes along with the thought I brought up, weapon orientation. I know this sounds a little weird, but every MMO I have experienced just automatically place weapons in a certain place on the character in a static orientation. Some weapons like staffs and polearms that's mostly unavoidable, but other weapons like longswords, shortswords, handaxes, wands, hand crossbows and the like should at least give you options for where and how they'll go on your character. This probably should be a separate thread, I'll look into doing that later if someone else doesn't beat me to that punch.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    This'll be really interesting to see an Armament Shop in game if they do this
    ( The Military Node having the Best no doubt  :p )
  • Options
    dracone said:
    Points have been made. I think this goes along with the thought I brought up, weapon orientation. I know this sounds a little weird, but every MMO I have experienced just automatically place weapons in a certain place on the character in a static orientation. Some weapons like staffs and polearms that's mostly unavoidable, but other weapons like longswords, shortswords, handaxes, wands, hand crossbows and the like should at least give you options for where and how they'll go on your character. This probably should be a separate thread, I'll look into doing that later if someone else doesn't beat me to that punch.
    interesting point you bring up.
    in my opinion big weapons and shields shouldn't be sheathed (especially not on the back)
    i'ts not very practical for combat, only for longer journeys, and even then, why not use your mage staff or polearm as a walking stick?

some examples!

• Options
    See, that's what I'm talking about. Why not have options on how your character carries equipped gear. I agree, most bladed weapons should be sheathed, or at least have the option of having sheathed, or at least give the option of having a sheath (granted this usually isn't a case for axes, but most other edged weapons have sheaths). Heck, in some fantasy series I've seen some weapons that don't typically have sheaths, like spears, have sheaths. So, why not go one step further and allow characters to craft sheaths for weapons, regardless of whether they traditionally have sheaths or not. But that's getting off topic a bit there, being able to decide how you carry your gear adds that extra bit of customization that really makes your character feel like your own. One person might want to carry a one-handed sword horizontally on their lower back while another might want to carry it on their leg or shoulder. There's a lot you can do with being able to decide how you carry your equipped gear, it will also help the game to further distinguish itself from the competition. It's the little touches that really make the world feel more tangible.