Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Classes

Why should we have them ? why don't we use something like in TES or in other RPG open world games where more you use the weapon or armor or magic more you are better in it so at the end everyone will have their own play style even though everyone will have the same stats but we should make it hard to get or even quests to pass an "evolution" of that type of skill or another :) 

Comments

• Options
    I believe it has a lot to do with the holy trinity: tank,healer, dps. It's easier for me to decide how I want to play through class choices. Otherwise I would run around as a tank who does damage and heals everyone (( this actually happened to me when I was a baby MMO player)). 

I get the the idea of avoiding classes and using skill levels to decide how you want to play and on paper that can work, but I think it works best in solo game play.

when you really look at it for pve and pvp content, there will have to be guidelines for players to follow the holy trinity in combat. So when it's all said and done you really are back to the class system anyways, you're just not called something specific like a mage or rogue.
  • Options
    Kyama said:
    Why should we have them ? why don't we use something like in TES or in other RPG open world games where more you use the weapon or armor or magic more you are better in it so at the end everyone will have their own play style even though everyone will have the same stats but we should make it hard to get or even quests to pass an "evolution" of that type of skill or another :) 
    You need to pick a class to be considered "classy"
  • Options
    We are going to have classes because that is the vision that the developers have for the game. It is heavily influenced by Dungeons and Dragons, and the adventuring class system is a core mechanic that they wish to use similarly. 
    This adventuring class system will supposedly be very customizable, but it will not be completely unstructured as I assume you are hoping, from your post. 

Have faith though, they will deliver a fun product, and if there is a vast outcry against their system, I am certain that they will caiter to their community.

• Options
    Kyama said:
    @kyama while we have things called "classes" in Ashes, it's a much less rigid concept than other MMOs. There are the 8 archetypical classes Tank/Tank, Mage/Mage etc, then there are 56 additional class combinations, such as Tank/Mage, Mage/Fighter etc. In addition to this you can customize your character by choosing from the 9 races, 6 religions, 3 artisan classes and other specializations. 

This means you have over 10,000 different ways to build your character to match your exact play style.
  • Options
    Nothing is wrong with having a class system compared to a weapon being your class like albion online, it restricts game play a little but also solidifies it even more.
  • Options
    In my experience with mmos that have an open ended character design system like UO or darkfall and those based on weapons/armor like ESO and albion is that they always devolve into mass cookie cutter fest with no more than 3-4 viable builds. This was true for all of these games mentioned in some capacity. So while it sounds nice to have all this "freedom" it never ends up being what people want because everyone ends up playing the same handful of builds. A class system at least makes it easier to balance between playstyles and with enough customization within the class (skill trees or in this games case the secondary archetype as well) it should be enough freedom. If this was 5 years ago I would share OPs opinion but with how the system has been implemented in the past, I now prefer a class based approach.
  • Options
    I love classes personally. I know creating your own class by using specific items I kinda cool but I find it fun working within a certain restriction making use of what you are given.
  • Options
    Pureos said:
    In my experience with mmos that have an open ended character design system like UO or darkfall and those based on weapons/armor like ESO and albion is that they always devolve into mass cookie cutter fest with no more than 3-4 viable builds. This was true for all of these games mentioned in some capacity. So while it sounds nice to have all this "freedom" it never ends up being what people want because everyone ends up playing the same handful of builds. A class system at least makes it easier to balance between playstyles and with enough customization within the class (skill trees or in this games case the secondary archetype as well) it should be enough freedom. If this was 5 years ago I would share OPs opinion but with how the system has been implemented in the past, I now prefer a class based approach.
    I agree with this. I also don't like "3-4" viable builds being the only players we see because it's the best combination. I like having the option of what weapon to choose - which as healer/support class is exciting because I don't want to use a staff xD
    I don't want my weapon to define my class choices.
  • Options
    I loved what TESO did with classes. Open armor, with you being able to assign points to enhance that as you chose. Open "skills" within a class, allowing you to build your character as you wanted. Which is what let me have a plate-wearing, 2h-swinging Amazonian Mage, who kicked royal arse with Lightning skills and still got to go in up close & personal when she wanted.

Ah, good times. 

Anyway. I *think* this is something along the lines of what IS is planning to offer with Ashes, at least as I understand it.
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    Kyama said:
    @kyama while we have things called "classes" in Ashes, it's a much less rigid concept than other MMOs. There are the 8 archetypical classes Tank/Tank, Mage/Mage etc, then there are 56 additional class combinations, such as Tank/Mage, Mage/Fighter etc. In addition to this you can customize your character by choosing from the 9 races, 6 religions, 3 artisan classes and other specializations. 

This means you have over 10,000 different ways to build your character to match your exact play style.
    Not to mention you can use any weapon you want no matter your class. You could be a mage with a bow and probably give yourself stats that still help you to be a capable mage, although not as good as one with a staff. 
  • Options
    Also, it's worth mentioning that It's going to be a hell of a balancing act as it is, therefore we need some limitations in order to make sure that all the class/sub combos actually aren't game breaking.