Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Will there be a notification when your caravan gets raided?

If I attack a caravan or my caravan gets attacked will a notification be sent that provides the name and guild of who attacked? This is a concern of mine because it will have a large influence on how these sort of conflicts will be carried out. I personally wish for a system that alerts you when a caravan is attacked but does NOT provide specific information on who did the attack.

Comments

• I recall the devs saying that notifications will be sent.
  • But what is included in the notification? Names? Guilds?
  • I got the impression that you would most likely be with your caravan as it travels. caravans are for moving large amounts of materials for a long distance. Seems like something you wouldn't want to send off by itself.  I do remember them saying if you come across a caravan an interface will appear where you can choose to attack, defend or ignore it.  
  • Elder said:
    I got the impression that you would most likely be with your caravan as it travels. caravans are for moving large amounts of materials for a long distance. Seems like something you wouldn't want to send off by itself.  I do remember them saying if you come across a caravan an interface will appear where you can choose to attack, defend or ignore it.  
    ^^ Yes, that's right. The UI prompts nearby players. There is no notification sent beyond that. Ignore my previous comment, I was thinking about sieges.
  • As they said.  People/guilds will want to accompany and guard their caravans.  Anyone coming within a certain distance of them will get a notification asking if they want to defend or attack.  
    It behooves whoever has goods on the caravan not to advertise the fact or the timing. 

• Understandable, but if someone for whatever reason decided to send a caravan defended only by npc guards and it got attacked, will they know who or which guild(s) did the attacking?
  • ^ I can find nothing specific on that, but I doubt it.
  • I doubt that also.  As anyone can opt to attack or defend..
  • Fair enough, I've been searching all around for a definitive answer. I surely hope it doesn't as that would discourage conflict.
  • ^ Agree. But even if you were to be notified, by the time your guild arrives it's probably all over anyway.
  • ^ right, but it would lead to retaliation eventually. By specifying which guild did it, smaller guilds would be heavily disincentivized from raiding caravans for the fear that a large guild will find out and steam roll them. I would prefer if it just notified you that your caravan was attacked but not who it was attacked by. That way stealth and subversion are elements to the caravan system.
  • ^ right, but it would lead to retaliation eventually. By specifying which guild did it, smaller guilds would be heavily disincentivized from raiding caravans for the fear that a large guild will find out and steam roll them. I would prefer if it just notified you that your caravan was attacked but not who it was attacked by. That way stealth and subversion are elements to the caravan system.
    I really think this is the way it will go.  As stated earlier, it's a random event that anyone in the same vicinity can participate.  A guild group might initiate it but all players  near by can join.  Or a small non guilded  group might initiate it and a guild group near by might join.  So, it's hard to say that any particular guild set it off. 
  • Do we know, yet, whether or not it is possible to "send" out a caravan, without accompanying it?
  • ^ I can see no reason why you couldn't. However I don't see why you'd want to entrust your precious cargo to a bunch of NPCs?
  • Shouldn't you be there, protecting your caravan and see the attackers yourself?  :D
  • I think it would be wise to accompany your caravan unless you have hired others to do so.  Then I would hope you could trust them!
  • ^ exactly. Or hire a guild to protect it for you if you're not a dedicated PvP guild.