Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

2 Questions

1. Is the game fast pace, like if I make a fighter, can I just endlessly swing one after another with little to no delay (unless blocked upon) on my enemy?

2. Are there going to be greatswords in this game?

Comments

• Options
    No one knows at this point in time.  Intrepid is leaking facts out little by little.  Ashes is only in pre-Alpha at this time.  
  • Options
    The following are not much more than speculation based on the little information leaked.

1) no particular information on the fighter combat style but on the basis of the general system there should be skills to use that may consume some energy, as it goes for mages with mana, so the swinging should not be endless. Also combat may not be totally action-based, so you swing you get a chance to hit or not to hit depending on AC, presence of shield and such.

2) Very likely yes.
  • Options
    ruairidh said:
    The following are not much more than speculation based on the little information leaked.

1) no particular information on the fighter combat style but on the basis of the general system there should be skills to use that may consume some energy, as it goes for mages with mana, so the swinging should not be endless. Also combat may not be totally action-based, so you swing you get a chance to hit or not to hit depending on AC, presence of shield and such.
    So if youre right, you could be wielding a shield right in front of me, and my animation could show me literally having the sword slash through the shield?  If so, I hope not D: 
  • Options
    it depends on wether the combat style is "that much" action/skill based or not. I also asked the same question not much time ago.

Think it this way: if you hold up a shield an thus you can not be hit, either you are ganked so that you are attacked also on the rear and sides, either you are attacked by some very kiting and jumpy foe that manages to go around you like in Dark Souls.

You also would need to be very swift in moving around in order to oppose your shield to every hit that comes from around you because fights will likely be group fights.

Then you would need to ask yourself how long can you  hold up your shield, does it consume stamina/endurance? Can you hold it up forever?

How would you compare the defence that a shield able to fisically block a hit can give you with the defence that your armour can give you? There are armours out there that are very, very difficult to be penetrated by arrows or sword slashes,. Usually in games is a matter of chances, not a matter of wether or not you "slash through", because otherwise a sufficiently armoured character would be virtually invincible.  This is somehow compromised by magical weapons and high level gear, so much so that if you have plate armour but are attacked by a high level archer with magical arrows you still get hit, even if you shouldn't, given the proficiency of your armour. In a very realistic situation a dagger user would simply die, quickly, same with leather and cloth armour users.

It is established that combat will be at least partially action based, so, if you avoid a hit by dodging/rolling, you don't get hit.

For what shields and armour are concerned, I still don't know precisely but I assume that there will be compromises. A Dark Soul styled combat is very possible in single player but in a MMO with thousands of inputs to manage at a time, is much more difficult (the game will be finished in a couple years so, who knows?).

If we have to make it action, then go full-action: a shield shot by so many arrows becomes too heavy and difficult to carry, due to the arrow-sticks, that is dropped. If you move around in battle with arrows in your body you might worsen your situation because of the possibility that you may displace the arrow-point inside your body due to  the movement and vibrations of the arrow-sticks and their bumping other people during the fight. 

It would be a little hardcore but I would not be totally against it :D