Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Build vs Buy and Integrate

So this isn't exactly a discussion of game systems but I'm going over the available materials for AoCr the gemeplay videos show some significant polish with respect to models and animations. Considering the size of the team and the aggressive release schedule, is AoCr leaning heavily on a buy and integrate strategy for game assets?

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Well that is more or less the point with UE4 (buying that is) :) But keep in mind that they just hired a bunch of people, up until recently they only really had one guy per area of the game. One for animation, one for models, one for landscape and so on. Which means that they made rudemental things for showcasing and getting money for a bigger team :) 
  • Options
    I understand that they're using UE4 as their engine which saves them a lot of work but the environment, models, and animations we've seen are polished enough for a released game rather then the usual proof of concept assets I'm used to seeing a year and a half out from release.

I know a year and a half sounds like a long time but for a project of this scope that is a very aggressive schedule if they're planning on any significant beta following code complete if their aim is to build assets rather than license / buy assets and integrate them.
  • Options
    is AoCr leaning heavily on a buy and integrate strategy for game assets?
    Specifically in terms of 3D assets, such as models, textures, animations etc, I'm not sure what they have in mind, but I'd guess at least 70-80% custom builds for major elements and the rest could be bought or licensed filler type elements that aren't significant to the overall aesthetic. 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Just to add to this. They specifically mentioned on one of the Q&A streams that UE4 makes it very easy for them to create assets for the game. So even if they aren't buying the assets and making them from scratch, it's easier for them to integrate into the game. I'm not familiar with the creation of assets for games personally so I can't give further explanation.