Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What Party Loot system would you want?

Random? Smart? Draft? ...

Comments

• Options
    With all it's faults, I really liked the WoW loot system in Wrath (I dunno what it's like now) where you could set what was rolled on or even set alternate/need over greed or raid leader's choice. 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    I don't know. I've been screwed by the loot council before. An item drops that I've been waiting for for about 5 raids. I roll need and win the roll, but the guild master takes it and claims the item never dropped..... Or people rolling need on everything... I kinda like personal loot. RNGesus can be cruel sometimes, but its fair. Everybody loots the boss and a few people get gear, some get crafting mats, other get gold. If they do not need it they can give it to somebody who does. It worked pretty well in WoW Legion IMO.
  • Options
    Best loot system Is when everybody gets something, no rush. everyone loots the corpse and get something based on there level. If your a high level player helping a low level on the high level one gets less or nothing. No one person get all the fat loot to themselves.
  • Options
    I think I'd prefer personal loot or something similar to the auction system BnS have, this way you always get something. If you don't get the item in the auction system you get money from the highest bidder instead equally split between the party members so you can buy it eventually if some one keeps overbidding you.

Best option would be to have many different system that the party can set so you can chose whatever fits best for your group. Like, need/greed, auction, leader distribute or random rolls and any other that i missed :tongue:
  • Options
    Relwoh said:
    Best loot system Is when everybody gets something, no rush. everyone loots the corpse and get something based on there level. If your a high level player helping a low level on the high level one gets less or nothing. No one person get all the fat loot to themselves.
    Having participated in all sorts of loot systems over the past 20 yrs. I have to agree with this.
  • Options
    Abrendir said:
    I think I'd prefer personal loot or something similar to the auction system BnS have, this way you always get something. If you don't get the item in the auction system you get money from the highest bidder instead equally split between the party members so you can buy it eventually if some one keeps overbidding you.
    I agree with this for non-guild groups. For guild groups I think a selection of options would be more appropriate, such as loot council or master loot. However, these systems should only apply to guild members. Pugs should still get personal loot when in a guild group, in my opinion. That way you eliminate toxic guilds that ninja everything from pugs >:)
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I'd like to have a mix of maybe open world loot where all players involved get loot; but in the instanced events they mentioned before and world bosses such as the large dragon from a volcano example they showed, I think they should have a roll greed/need loot system.

This limits the number of super rares from filling the economy and keeps it entertaining. One of the pitfalls that GW2 has for it's loot is that getting rares or exotics isn't very exciting. Even though the drop rates are low it never really feels like an achievement.

Limiting the amount of times an item can be acquired per run is a healthy way in keeping rares feel rare and providing satisfaction to players that manage to acquire them.

EDIT: Clarity.
  • Options
    Relwoh said:

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Too many times have I witnessed (in a variety of MMO's) someone being greedy and roll for everything even if they clearly do not need it. With the "everyone gets something" I think there would be a lot less drama/toxicity. I know that Intrepid values "meaningful conflict", but people taking everything for themselves out of greed would bring out more toxicity in a community rather than any meaningful conflict. At least that is how I see it.
  • Options
    Whatever devs do, I hope it'll go way beyond "Need/Greed". I am heartily sick of lootmongers needing on everybloody thing; in order to combat that, you just have to get used to groups all needing on everything. Then that totally blows the intent behind the "Need/Greed" system.

I could say I prefer that if there's something that should be rolled on, only people who could use it could roll on it. But then, who sets that bar? I mean, would a Bard potentially need the same things a Ranger would need? If there's crossover, then sure, let both Need on it, but sometimes, I've been known to play my classes "off-center" from how most people do them, so stats that "everyone knows" that class should need, aren't what I decide I need.

Sorry I can't contribute more to this, just sayin' I'd prefer a system that doesn't reward lootmongers.
  • Options
    I myself don't really care for rolls on loot, I lean more to everyone gets something, and if they don't need it they either give it away, trade it, sell it, or destroy/deconstruct it.

Also from my experience a need greed system promotes less player interactions
  • Options
    I myself don't really care for rolls on loot, I lean more to everyone gets something, and if they don't need it they either give it away, trade it, sell it, or destroy/deconstruct it.
    With a name like @Ninja Shadow I'd have guessed differently ;)
  • Options
    Isende said:
    I could say I prefer that if there's something that should be rolled on, only people who could use it could roll on it. But then, who sets that bar? I mean, would a Bard potentially need the same things a Ranger would need? If there's crossover, then sure, let both Need on it, but sometimes, I've been known to play my classes "off-center" from how most people do them, so stats that "everyone knows" that class should need, aren't what I decide I need.
    I believe they previously said weapons / gear aren't class restricted. So I don't think restricting loot to specific player types would be the best.
  • Options
    lexmax said:

Well the name is for reasons other then loot. Never enjoyed ninja looting stuff
  • Options
    I'd like a sort of system that allows for you to claim "dibs" on stuff but if you claim such on an item that another player would have more use out of due to class or artisan "profession" that your claim has less value so that the other player(s) are more likely to get the item that they could make better use of. This of course isn't as needed when you play with a group of people who fairly dole out loot after the distribution system anyways.
  • Options
    Fanzhon said:
    Isende said:
    I believe they previously said weapons / gear aren't class restricted. So I don't think restricting loot to specific player types would be the best.
    That's a fair point. So, consensus seems to be ... fair share across the board, everyone gets something?

I'd go for that. 
  • Options
    lexmax said:

Sorry. I guess that was a failed attempt at humor on my part :disappointed:
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    lexmax said:
    lexmax said:

Sorry. I guess that was a failed attempt at humor on my part :disappointed:

i am not always capable of telling what's ment to be humerus, and tend to look at things more literally, that is no fault of yours. ;)
    @lexmax
  • Options
    This is an interesting question.  I will limit my discussion to PUG's because well if loot distribution in a guild group goes haywire you have bigger problems to deal with than the loot system.  I agree with @Isende, Need/greed just results in everyone needing eventually which makes the development of it non-sensible.  I think any system that allows one party member to control loot distribution will be disastrous.  I do not care if it is a mostly guild group or if it is limited to a party leader, if one player in a group has control of any part of the loot distribution then unneeded drama will ensue.  Trying to develop limits to which characters can roll for an item by the devs seems very difficult and drama inducing as well.  I have been known to push the rock up hill with some of my characters.  For instance, my heart tells me to play a Nikua Rogue/Ranger.  Without knowledge of the race and class detailed information I do not know if I will.  My mind will determine that by how heavy the rock is and how steep the hill is and even I am not sure if the heart or mind will win in the end.

The real question comes down to BoE (Bind on Equip) or BoP (Bind on Pick-up) or a derivation of the two.  I prefer BoE systems but understand there are limitations to them but there is nothing worse than picking up an ubergear item for a build/class/playstyle and deconning/vendoring it because I can not give/trade it to someone who will use it.  It actually hurts me more than seeing that ubergear item I want go to someone else.  Derivations on BoP that could be used are time limits to trading or limits to who you can trade the item to, guildies or group members.
  • Options
    I need a saeyo button. Where all items that drop in the world have the option to default it to Saeyo.
  • Options
    Marenor said:
    ...but there is nothing worse than picking up an ubergear item for a build/class/playstyle and deconning/vendoring it because I can not give/trade it to someone who will use it.  It actually hurts me more than seeing that ubergear item I want go to someone else.  
    Right! I would rather give stuff away or sell it to another player than have to just shrug & decon/vt it!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I'll throw my support in for 'personal loot' - it's just you against RNGesus and not the other members of your party, friend or frenemy.  

Add to that loot being more weighted toward tradeable materials and currency that can be crafted or combined in some way into the best gear rather than the antiquated boss mob rare item drop circle-jerk mechanics.  That way players have the opportunity and option to choose to collaborate within their group or later with their guild or node, and less all-or-nothing negative game mechanics.
  • Options
    Items can have a time limit that you are able to trade them to another group member before the become BoP of BoE

Fanzhon mentioned rolling in epic/rare items.   These type items can be made rare and random drops,  One per boss etc. but as I said a random drop,  If the person who gets that rare item doesn't need it he should have a time limit to pass it to someone else.  
  • Options
    The "All your loot are belong to me" one.

Really though anything to rotate items effectively. As how I work if I can't use it I'll pass it to someone who can I don't hoard gear unless it's a solo run. Being greedy for the sake of being greedy needs limited in a way to allow players equal footing when it comes to looting.

Baring specialized items that drop maybe extremely rarely that should require group decision making. DUEL FOR IT DAMN YOU DO IT!!!
  • Options
    So, personal drops? Like Diablo 3?

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Hmm... wonder what a game would be without loot!
    Just have to craft , build things everything solo or with guild.
    And when you level you get acces to more creations......

Probably will have no customers.

Best loot system is that a pet auto loots your stuff. Sorts them out and hops over to the vendor to sell the rubbish and put rest in storage.

And i prefer no extreme rare drops. Casual players should get the best stuff also.
    Now rare skins is anther part of game. That should take effort. And give the PvP peeps even the best skins ever in a game with no grief/gank open pvp.

Loot .... loot... *sigh* i just want to feed my cows and chickens on the farm and make green orc cheese.
  • Options
    Relwoh said:
    That is fine, but how does that deal with the elite/rare drop.

Does everyone get one?

• Options
    as long as i am not doing dungeons over and over to get an item that i want for a build i will be happy . cause mu RNG numbers are crap but if one person in the group gets it can be transfer to a group member while in dungeon would be cool
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    need / greed / pass with a master looter option available but only if set BEFORE entering the instance or BEFORE the world boss fight begins.

Also, anyone in the raid / group should be able to see exactly what the current loot setting is AND receive a pop up notification if / when it changes.

No BoP items and even BoE items have a two hour timer that allows you to unequip and trade the item.
  • Options
    Crymoar said:
    need / greed / pass with a master looter option available but only if set BEFORE entering the instance or BEFORE the world boss fight begins.

Also, anyone in the raid / group should be able to see exactly what the current loot setting is AND receive a pop up notification if / when it changes.

No BoP items and even BoE items have a two hour timer that allows you to unequip and trade the item.
    Ya I'm not a fan of the Binding gear drops thing especially since Ashes is going to have a lot of economic flow to it. Thinking about it I'm also against the personal loot drop list because it could flood the market pretty bad. Unless drop rates for good stuff are just abysmal.
  • Options
    Bannith said:
    Crymoar said:

Ya I'm not a fan of the Binding gear drops thing especially since Ashes is going to have a lot of economic flow to it. Thinking about it I'm also against the personal loot drop list because it could flood the market pretty bad. Unless drop rates for good stuff are just abysmal.
    This is part of the reason I am for mats dropping rather then gear because say instead of everyone getting a sword+10 they get mats that have to be refined and/or crafted into +10 item and it can be done in such a way that there is only enough mats dropped for 1 item, so there is no flooding the market with +10 items just by having a larger group