Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Its my view that the game would be enriched by steampunk/muskets

Its my view that having monster hunter like fantasy guns and wallguns would be pretty cool and set the scientific nodes apart as well as add another layer of sick fantasy to the game.

It is however your choice to make the game exactly how you want and if you want fantasy without light science elements thats up to you. However I feel like its kinda dumb not to explore it.

Science and magic is kinda a big genre of fiction atm. and it can be done in so many different ways.

Monster Hunter being one of my favorite examples.

Here is an example of samurai using muskets and such. Even cool handcannon stuff was used stuff that looks straight up fantastical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcKRfhNWLb4

Comments

• Options
    They have already said there will be no steampunk / guns in the game sorry to tell you that
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    They've already said that right now. They can say something different tomorrow.

They're that early in production.

Honestly the only one I have to convince to get this in is Steven. Steven if you're out there. There are people who would die for this :)

Also there is an anime where zombies with metal encased hearts board trains that go to specially fortified cities for supplies and battle towns its really well done example of having cake and eating it too.

I'm not even saying have trains in game. I'm saying light science. Windmills and water driven factories were very early in the industrial revolution.

To me its just not logical to include some early medieval armor designs and not include muskets which were very basic weaponry. Fireworks are super old and I'd even be on the side of just going with firework like weaponry or a magic mix or w/e

Its just so much STUFF is there to be adapted I see it as a big shame to not get in on it...when you have a node thats gameplay is designed to be based around science.
  • Options
    Zomnivore said:

That's a dangerous game for devs to play but things can/will change before launch, you're right. Sadly for you, I don't think your request will be one of them. 4
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Whats the difference between having a gun that fires a rock at someone and a wand that fires a magical arcane( arcane which is basically knowledge of a meta physical property of the world) bolt?

Mechanically they could be very different simply based on how you want to create narrative.

But logically they're practically the same thing.

Why have potions in a game that function based on magic when we know of medicine and herbiculture and real practical applications of tonics from our world?

What is the purpose besides ADDING magic and ignoring (not removing the reason why we know these things exist in reality and therefore their association) physical properties of nature?
  • Options
    Zomnivore said:

Honestly the only one I have to convince to get this in is Steven. Steven if you're out there. There are people who would die for this :)

Also there is an anime where zombies with metal encased hearts board trains that go to specially fortified cities for supplies and battle towns its really well done example of having cake and eating it too.

I'm not even saying have trains in game. I'm saying light science. Windmills and water driven factories were very early in the industrial revolution.

To me its just not logical to include some early medieval armor designs and not include muskets which were very basic weaponry. Fireworks are super old and I'd even be on the side of just going with firework like weaponry or a magic mix or w/e

Its just so much STUFF is there to be adapted I see it as a big shame to not get in on it...when you have a node thats gameplay is designed to be based around science.
    Steven said he dislinks guns in these types of games so I highly dought he will add them
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Has Steven played monster hunter? A fantasy-fied gun example. Also what game has Steven played that had magic and guns that he bases this opinion on?

I'm still ok with it basically just being his personal taste, but I want to at least inform him that he's not correct. That it is in fact just personal taste.

I suggest he try vermintide for another example of guns in a fantasy setting.
  • Options
    Zomnivore said:
    Has Steven played monster hunter? A fantasy-fied gun example. Also what game has Steven played that had magic and guns that he bases this opinion on?

I'm still ok with it basically just being his personal taste, but I want to at least inform him that he's not correct. That it is in fact just personal taste.
    It was on the stream

at 42 minutes 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    They didn't give me a good case for why not. What exactly ARE they looking for?

Also because guns are overpowered in one game they've played: Pathfinder? Therefore they're bad? Come on.

World of Warcraft has guns...does anyone think thats a less magical world because of it?

All swords armor arrows siege weapons castles, mounts, boats all work on science and physical properties of matter, biology intrinsic properties of existence.

Its simply adding FICTION to it that creates fantasy.

All crafting is simplified game-ified science and industry.

To put it simply.

What IS fantasy to you Steven and Co. ???
  • Options
    Zomnivore said:
    They didn't give me a good case for why not. What exactly ARE they looking for?

Also because guns are overpowered in one game they've played: Pathfinder? Therefore they're bad? Come on.

World of Warcraft has guns...does anyone think thats a less magical world because of it?

All swords armor arrows siege weapons castles all work on science and physical properties of matter.

Its simply adding FICTION to it that creates fantasy.

All crafting is simplified game-ified science and industry.
    I understand but I'm just posting what they said if you don't like it you should bring it up in the live stream
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    This is as fine a forum as any for an official comment on the topic. If they can have an impassioned debate amongst themselves as professionals they can set the case for why not here for us consumers.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @Zomnivore, you sound very insistent on your point of view.  What are they looking for?  I think they have made it VERY clear.  They do NOT want to be or be like World of Warcraft.  They do NOT want to be steampunk.  Steampunk meets High Fantasy is not the High Fantasy setting they are looking for because they do not envision ANY steampunk aspects in their game world.  I understood that very clearly when I decided to back this game.

I do not mean this as a flame.  You seem so insistent on your point of view that you are either intentionally not hearing what is said or reading what is printed.  You do not see what they have stated as giving you a good case?  They are not going to cater to you or any one individual's satisfaction just to change the direction they plan to go in.  I am sorry that you are dissatisfied with what has been presented as the aim and direction of the game.  Maybe this is not the game for you.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I haven't heard a single argument from them FOR their vision of an iconic fantasy world.

Why are the enemies forgotten when gods exist and can literally tell us what happened??

What are the characteristics of their gods in this game that would make them forget?

They're not all phoenixes are they?

Also if World of Warcraft isn't high fantasy I don't know what is. Also calling muskets in a game = to steam punk is ignorant of what steampunk is.
  • Options
    Zomnivore said:
    I haven't heard a single argument from them FOR their vision of an iconic fantasy world.

Why are the enemies forgotten when gods exist and can literally tell us what happened??

Also if World of Warcraft isn't high fantasy I don't know what is.
    do they need too?

its for use to find out what has happened and change the world
  • Options
    I'd personally rather not see guns in the game. But even if it happens it's very low on the scale of things that would bother me. Haha. 

Perhaps they just don't want a steam punk type gun game because it's not the theme they have in mind.

Zomnivore said:
    Heh heh. This paragraph made me laugh a little. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    They said that there is no gun powder in this world... steampunk maybe but musket never.
    Let them make their universe, they make the laws that rules it. This is the Fiction.
  • Options
    Is it wrong to want an explanation? To cry out for the desire of knowledge?

Oh I'm kidding you guys I just want to flame the forums and be mad at someone thats the only reason I'm typing here...not because I genuinely want to know something but because I'm having a temper tantrum and want to be mad...

Have w/e world view you want I don't care.
  • Options
    Why would you even need gunpowder for a gun to work in this world mages literally create fire explosions from their hands. All they have to do is figure out the mechanics of sticking a rock next to the explosion and firing it out of a tube before they have cannons.

This kind of logic isn't something that would be foreign to masters of the mystical.
  • Options
    Zomnivore said:
    Is it wrong to want an explanation? To cry out for the desire of knowledge?

Oh I'm kidding you guys I just want to flame the forums and be mad at someone thats the only reason I'm typing here...not because I genuinely want to know something but because I'm having a temper tantrum and want to be mad...

Have w/e world view you want I don't care.
    I know why you want guns now. its for the DAKKAKAKAKAKA
  • Options
    Orks don't even know how to make a gun its all instinct and because of their psychic connection to eachother and the world the guns work.

Magic Dakka is already a thing.
  • Options
    Zomnivore said:
    Orks don't even know how to make a gun its all instinct and because of their psychic connection to eachother and the world the guns work.

Games Workshop would have a field day with this...

This is not the 40K universe... (and YES I love my 40k Orks!)
  • Options
    Keth said:
    Zomnivore said:

did you forget about fantasy

• Options
    edited June 2017
    I just want to know how dumb is the society this world is set in? They can't figure out guns but they can figure out meta physics and firing spells and generating living or elemental creatures that listen to their commands? magical healing exists but how would they know what to heal and how if not for some set level of medical knowledge? Does this society know what a virus or a disease is if there are plagues and do they then know how to cure it if there is a cure? How smart are these gods? They apparently figured out teleportation.

I just want to know why this fantasy is better then my suggestion of just having science in the game with some level of accuracy. Or better yet a fantastical version of science...

Greener is meaner ya grotz

In my opinion asking for their magical knowledge to be so advanced but then having their scientific knowledge being so limited is asking for trouble.

If you know how to launch a fireball you should probably know how to fly or know how to shoot a bazooka like object. If you can set runes you could create a rocket with a rock and w/e magical components needed to set it into motion.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Zomnivore said:
    I just want to know how dumb is the society this world is set in? They can't figure out guns but they can figure out meta physics and firing spells and generating living or elemental creatures that listen to their commands? magical healing exists but how would they know what to heal and how if not for some set level of medical knowledge? Does this society know what a virus or a disease is if there are plagues and do they then know how to cure it if there is a cure? How smart are these gods? They apparently figured out teleportation.

I just want to know why this fantasy is better then my suggestion of just having science in the game with some level of accuracy. Or better yet a fantastical version of science...

It is not about the people being dumb... Lord of the Rings, no guns.  Conan the Barbarian, no guns... Game of Thrones? no guns...
  • Options
    Maybe not.
  • Options
    Zomnivore said:

Greener is meaner ya grotz

In my opinion asking for their magical knowledge to be so advanced but then having their scientific knowledge being so limited is asking for trouble.

If you know how to launch a fireball you should probably know how to fly or know how to shoot a bazooka like object. If you can set runes you could create a rocket with a rock and w/e magical components needed to set it into motion.
    I think this proverb will sum up everything. "invention is the mother of necessity" Basically the only reason we invent things is because we need something. If we could shoot fire from our hands whats the point of making a gun and wasting metals? When I can say a few words and mend a broken leg within seconds why waste my time looking for a plant and for someone to sit around for weeks for it to heal? 

• Options
    edited June 2017
    nagash said:
    Keth said:
    Zomnivore said:

did you forget about fantasy

Love it!  (and no, my Fantasy Orcs have no guns...  crossbows yes, but no guns...)
  • Options
    No gunpowder in this game!

looks pretty clear to me your just trying to get a reaction out of people.
  • Options
    Zomnivore said:

They've said in one of the QnA's that in this world they want to be less mechanical and more magical.  As for how dumb are they not to figure out guns?  Why on earth would you need to make a gun, when you can just point a finger at them while casting a spell and blow them up with magic?  
  • Options
    Obviously its because you're struggling against guys with shields.
  • Options
    I'm so happy this MMO is staying away from steampunk and the racket guns make. BANG BANG BANG BANG!! None stop shocking noise. So sick of guns in my fantasy games.