Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Engaging boss fights

As an MMORPG player who has played dozens upon dozens of MMORPG's, I have to say, most boss fights are pretty dull. They have set timers for set events, the boss doesn't really move around that much or give players any specific challenge besides learning mechanics and timing of the attacks.... so I'd like to see bosses with special abilities which have a chance of happening which could just make it so much more interesting. Hidden abilities in bosses which not everyone encounters and sees type of thing.
Also, not all bosses have to be huge scary monsters right? I'm hoping for some awesome bosses which are normal human sized but are far stronger than any player and have some epic abilities.

also.... what about world bosses? I love world bosses but I also hate GW2's way of making world bosses which spawn every hour or so and there's a damn zerg just rushing around farming them.... that's boring. I'm hoping for really challenging world bosses which would require cooperation of several guilds to take down and that only spawn like once every couple of weeks. That'd be cool :D 

Comments

• Options
    Have you seen the monster token system?  That might lead to some pretty interesting boss fights.

Aside from that I too would really love to see a variety of bosses, not just ones requiring the coordination and numbers of a raid but bosses that provide challenge even for single parties. 
  • Options
    Have you read up on about the monster coins? :)
  • Options
    @Sozia
    @AutumnWillow
    Yeah, monster coins look amazing and fun but that's not really a world boss type of thing.... i'd say it's more of a "Zone" boss, and considering that it could be a player sounds AMAZING! an intelligent boss :O hahahah :D epic
    but yes indeed,  the monster coins are one of the most exciting things to me personally in this game so far! 

@AutumnWillow yes, not all bosses need to be huge raid bosses, I'd love to see dungeon bosses which aren't buggable or easy. I want a boss in a dungeon which makes me feel like my party and I have accomplished something by killing it!  also, I wonder about ability to solo group aimed activities like dungeons? If player is skilled, soloing a dungeon should be doable. I wonder if devs will take that into account and make it not only depend on having a party but also have skilled players in the party or allowing 1 skilled player to solo a party activity. Would be cool as well.

• Options
    This is my greatest fear about the game. Wildstar has spoiled me. Even single group dungeons had quality designed encounters on a level you'd expect from the best of other games. The Wildstar raids are the best designed ever. I don't expect Wildstar style encounters everywhere in AoC but tank and spanks with the occasional AoE aren't going to cut it either.
  • Options
    This is my greatest fear about the game. Wildstar has spoiled me. Even single group dungeons had quality designed encounters on a level you'd expect from the best of other games. The Wildstar raids are the best designed ever. I don't expect Wildstar style encounters everywhere in AoC but tank and spanks with the occasional AoE aren't going to cut it either.
    Ohh yeah! I definitely agree with you there

• Options
    Wildstar did have some crazy mechanics yeah, and I'd welcome similar in AoC. I hope the 40man raids are really something to behold with challenging mechanics and plenty of adds. I'd rather a huge scale fight with various mobs rather than 1 huge mob that's a tank and spank. It will be interesting to see if these guys will be instanced or not as 40 man raids just showing up in your ZoI could be very cool indeed.
  • Options
    Wildstar has spoiled me. Even single group dungeons had quality designed encounters on a level you'd expect from the best of other games. The Wildstar raids are the best designed ever. I don't expect Wildstar style encounters everywhere in AoC but tank and spanks with the occasional AoE aren't going to cut it either.
    Agreed.  I loved the dungeons in Wildstar.  The mechanics were exceptionally well done.  When a group wiped it wasn't because the mobs were overtuned but because you didn't execute the fight properly.
  • Options
    I too am a fan of engaging boss fights. Heavy group combat mechanics is essential for me to enjoy that kind of battle. Group coordination and planned execution of attack and defend really makes you feel like you earned the boss kill. Rift had great boss fights for that reason. Destiny was good for that as well. By the sounds of the previous comments I probably would have liked Wildstar too. 
  • Options
    I would imagine soloing dungeon content is going to be very difficult if not impossible. Dungeons are being tuned for 8 man groups, and expect mechanics that utilize different archetypes unique skills to progress in them. For example a lever to open the door to progress that can only by accessed by the rogue's climb skill, or passageways that are undetectable without Mage's detect magic skill, and so on. I still think that non-instanced dungeons might be procedure generated based off of node requirements, we will just have to wait and see. I also think a large portion of the community is still thinking of content in the typical themepark fashion. Use groupfinder, form group, and port to instance is pretty much not going to be a thing. So while that world boss may be 4 nodes away, getting there with your group intact will be a challenge in its own right.
  • Options
    I'm just imagining dungeons with a selection of bosses that will randomly chosen. Could make the dungeons more interesting. On top of that every... hmmm... let's go with 33% health the boss chooses from a random attack set.

Of course you could just have one set of moves for a boss and it'd still be fun if the boss was engaging and fun.
  • Options
    I like how Trials/Raids are in Elder Scrolls Online, would be good to have something like that.