Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

I truly Hope there will be No Content Droughts

So many MMOs and so much potential, but once the developers release the base game, they spend half a year following it with something new. I have been playing WoW for 9 years, but once WLoD came out, the game went through extensive content droughts, which caused my entire guild to quit the whole game. Ashes looks like a beautiful game, and developing new content for it might be time consuming, so i suggest IS prepares for such a scenario. A scenario where developing new expansions takes more than a "Quarter" of a year.

Comments

• Options
    there will be dead periods for content between releases.. content isnt an add water and **poof** as we all know. but regular small content releases,(dungeons, etc) a few times a year and special events etc can fill in the gaps between larger expansions
  • Options
    there will be dead periods for content between releases.. content isnt an add water and **poof** as we all know. but regular small content releases,(dungeons, etc) a few times a year and special events etc can fill in the gaps between larger expansions
    Although how those dungeons are percieved will heavily depend on how unique they're. IF the game simply recycles the same formula for dungeons, meaning similar setup but different environment, then it won't keep most people interested. Subsequently, adding new content has to take longer. Simply put, because adding generic content to the game will not hold people's attention long enough, the developers will have to spend time developing more complex, and unique content. Subsequently, increasing the development time and adding more drought periods. So,  i don't think adding few things here and there will do anything to souk people's hunger.
  • Options
    Also the depth and breadth of content beyond the quest npcs they put in will depend on player actions. They stated that no two servers will be the same for what content appears when. So depending on node development, and other interactions with the underlying system, you will have different things happening. So while it doesn't fit the WOW mold of themepark content, should provide plenty to do.
  • Options
    Though I believe others may have more specific content preferences, I do hope that there are different amounts of content. For games, in general I prefer breadth over depth. 

One example I like is Guild Wars 2. There is just so much to do in terms of crafting, jump puzzles, exploring and a lot of other achievement related activities. I generally like to dabble a little in everything, so I find myself running around doing almost everything in GW2 while barely scratching the surface. 

The risk of something like this is that you spend a lot of time crafting content where only a subset of your content appeals to particular people. 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Well I prefer them to release content slower, but I want it to be quality content.
    If they keep me busy with achievements and puzzles I'll be fine.
    Also... some players play 8 hours/week and some play 12hours/day.
    You need to keep the second group busy but also not make 1st group feel like they're ages behind.

Did they say anything about in-game puzzles? Like jumping puzzles, riddles etc? I remember I created a topic about it but I didnt see any dev mention anything like that. 
  • Options
    Kasyee said:
    Did they say anything about in-game puzzles? Like jumping puzzles, riddles etc? I remember I created a topic about it but I didnt see any dev mention anything like that. 
    I recall Steven commenting on how there will be traps and players will need to avoid them. It was one of the kickstarter streams. As for puzzles, I have no idea.   
  • Options
    Well I do hope they include them. I mean... jumping puzzles are my GW2 love. The only reason why I keep coming back to that mmo.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Kasyee said:
    Well I do hope they include them. I mean... jumping puzzles are my GW2 love. The only reason why I keep coming back to that mmo.
    Puzzles are a bit of a hot topic in my opinion. There are those who think they're just tedious and act to extend something mundane. Whereby other like you think they're extremely entertaining. Although, in my eyes, if they're well executed, they can be a pleasurable addition. 
  • Options
    As @UnknownSystemError pointed out, the game is focused on player-driven "content".  Ashes is not going to be the same sort of theme park game that WoW is.  

My analogy for WoW vs. Ashes of Creation is a comparison of the toys parents buy for their kids.

WoW is like when parents buy their kids all the latest, greatest "hot item" toys that are popular but don't have enough substance to provide staying power.  These toys have specific things they do, and that's it.  They soon gather dust or end up in the garage sale.

Ashes is more like the toys that are open-ended in what can be done with them.  Toys that don't do specific things, but rather offer children the opportunity to explore with their imagination.  Toys like Legos, erector sets, art related "toys" like Playdough (or just clay), Etch-A-Sketch, paints, crayons, etc.  Basically, anything that is limited only by the imagination of the child.

Personally, I truly hope Intrepid never caves to pressure to keep adding stuff for the people who can't figure out how to entertain themselves.  They're giving us a dynamic game world where the only real limitation is how imaginative we are in what we choose to do with it.

There won't be a content drought because we create/drive the content.  We ARE the content.
  • Options
    SelinaH said:
    Kasyee said:
    Puzzles are a bit of a hot topic in my opinion. There are those who think they're just tedious and act to extend something mundane. Whereby other like you think they're extremely entertaining. Although, in my eyes, if they're well executed, they can be a pleasurable addition. 

Yeah but they can be optional. Not required. Not everything is for everyone. I - for example - dislike crafting, and a lot of people share this opinion. Will I be missing a lot by not crafting at all? Yes. Am I forced to do this? No. 
    The same should be with puzzles :)
  • Options
    =
    Kl...i think they said they wanted to add some kind of content every quarter or so. there will always be some kind of drought, that when you do stuff that you wouldnt normally do

• Options
    SelinaH said:
    Kasyee said:
    agreed...im certainly not against puzzles at all and at times enjoy them,,but dont make them a requirement to progress the main story. puzzles locking completeion of
     a side quest i can live live
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    SelinaH said:
    Kasyee said:

The nice thing about GW2 jumping puzzles are that they are largely out of the way and require some effort to reach them. It's a totally optional endeavour, so you won't find yourself going through a certain important questline and get railroaded into a jumping puzzle (as far as I remember). 

The other nice thing about it is a lot of times, the jumping puzzle in GW2 carries a bit of story to it. One of the more popular one is located in the mountains only accessible by a series of hidden steam-vents boosted jumps and illusionary wall. Inside the mountain you will find a hangar of airships belonging to a fabled outlaw gang. You got to navigate yourself through pipes, giant gears and railings and run through ships until you make it to the top of the fleet for the hidden loot.

Here's a video of the jumping puzzle I just described. It was one of my fondest memory of the game. 

The second part of the video talks about "diving goggles" which are places in GW2 where a jumping goggles lies on a typically very high location. You put on the goggles and it strips you into your swimming costume. You do a dive, enjoy the scenery and unlock an achievement. Jumping puzzles don't always overlap with a diving goggle. Diving goggles are just another part of the the game that encourages exploring.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Possum said:
    As @UnknownSystemError pointed out, the game is focused on player-driven "content".  Ashes is not going to be the same sort of theme park game that WoW is.  

My analogy for WoW vs. Ashes of Creation is a comparison of the toys parents buy for their kids.

WoW is like when parents buy their kids all the latest, greatest "hot item" toys that are popular but don't have enough substance to provide staying power.  These toys have specific things they do, and that's it.  They soon gather dust or end up in the garage sale.

Ashes is more like the toys that are open-ended in what can be done with them.  Toys that don't do specific things, but rather offer children the opportunity to explore with their imagination.  Toys like Legos, erector sets, art related "toys" like Playdough (or just clay), Etch-A-Sketch, paints, crayons, etc.  Basically, anything that is limited only by the imagination of the child.

Personally, I truly hope Intrepid never caves to pressure to keep adding stuff for the people who can't figure out how to entertain themselves.  They're giving us a dynamic game world where the only real limitation is how imaginative we are in what we choose to do with it.

There won't be a content drought because we create/drive the content.  We ARE the content.
    Well said! @Possum
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    It takes three months just to build a metropolis.
    The buildings we build after we hit Stage 6 generate new content. Around the globe.
    I doubt all 5 metropolises will be built in 3 months.

New buildings for any node past Stage 3 generate new content regionally.
    So, we will have lots of new content constantly popping for quite some time even without the devs adding brand new content.

But, the devs are planning to release DLCs quarterly anyways.
    Whether they can actually keep to that schedule remains to be seen.
  • Options
    Dygz said:

DLC's often cost money, so are these quarterly expansions going to cause money or free?

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Pretty sure they are free.
    Ashes is not buy to play.
  • Options
    Possum said:

I'm with @Possum on this. The very essence of why this game will appeal so much is because it's not add 5 levels and a new dungeon which we'll race to complete in 5 days and show our shiny new skins on the forums. If that's what you want then there's the majority of MMOs out there right now waiting for you.

The dynamic nature of server development will ensure that players will always have ways of making "end game" or "end content". The server will be what you make of it, will be as exciting or as boring as you make it. That's where Ashes will be inclusive like no other MMO on the market, if they deliver, and that's where it's success will come from.    

• Options
    edited June 2017
    SelinaH said:
    Dygz said:

DLC's often cost money, so are these quarterly expansions going to cause money or free?

As Dygz says in the post right after the above, they have stated the way the game will make money is off of subs and cosmetics in the store. You get the actual game by just downloading it, and DLC's also will be free to download. With a non-themepark same content on every server it would be really hard for them to justify charging for something that depending on how your individual server chooses to advance, you may never see. Look to see something like "We have added 100 new questline npcs that will appear depending on node type and progression. Good luck unlocking them all!"