Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What if Castle defenses were player determined?

What if, just what if, there were more than just a stock number of castle types to be defended.

They have already mentioned having possibly objective based mechanics to take down a castle, again I presume like in L2. 

I think also mentioned that a range of siege vehicles would be implemented.

What if there were a range of other things that the lead controlling guild(s) could do to influence its defense and thereby change how successful it might be at holding off an attack?

In a previous thread I mentioned the idea of the lead clan leader controlling the all NPC guards as a stand alone game for their role in the seige.

But what if there was more.

Having just watched the E3 game play for Fortnite, what if there was a degree of player built defenses. Constructable element to add to the existing castle. Perhaps not as elaborate as Fortnite but nevertheless setup by a region elected player.

Their approach to setup could become the strength or weakness of the defense! A skill in itself!
  • Build additional towers for your ranged classes to stay out of harms way, if there your guild is more ranged orientated.
  • Build barricades for your mele to allow them to be close ranged
  • Variety of traps & decoys
What would you like to see in a siege?

Comments

• Options
    That would be neat to allow crafters to help defend a castle.
  • Options
    I think that's pretty much already the plan.
    One of the reasons why caravans are so crucial.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    I think that's pretty much already the plan.
    One of the reasons why caravans are so crucial.
    Did they mention that the caravan system plays a role in Castles? I've only ever heard it discussed when it comes to the Node system
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    So this is entirely speculation on my part, based in similar content in other games and my own analytical expertise but I feel it's fairly likely to be accurate.

Castles will probably be customizable, if not actually building them (ie like Archeage) then you will be able to upgrade and retrofit. This includes defensive upgrades.

Fast travel has already been confirmed essentially minimal in AoC so the caravan will be how materials are brought to the castle location. A castle will probably provide a bonus source of income, act as a node of its own or be another obstacle in taking a node. Possibly all three.

A castle may need to be "resupplied" through a steady stream of caravans, and thus a prolonged siege may be an option in attacking them. (This may be wishful thinking because I'd love to see smugglers in this game and think the idea of a siege that "starves the defenders" would be neato). 

Again, non of this is confirmed, and is fully my opinion. 
  • Options
    Well it would be the very minimal that you should be available to recruit and equip the defenders.

• Options
    i would like to see balance in a siege 
  • Options
    Isn't this the plan already?
  • Options
    @Ezenkrul87 
    Yes. Caravan system will be used to help build up different types of defenses for castles as well as nodes.

And also Castles have some kind of influence on nearby caravan routes.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/14luppZ3Ub8jmcw_aK65QWxYY4xa8qAo9zRfpYWBxOXE/edit
    Depending on the caravan that is launched, number of guards that will accompany the caravan and their strength will be based on a few factors; size of the node from which the caravan is launched, if the node falls under the influence of a castle, if the player has purchased additional guards, what the elected node official/officials determine they wish to allocate node resources to the caravan guard system. Caravan's will potentially include PvE disturbances along the route, depending on; it's destination, status of local quests lines for the area, and size of the node the caravan is originating from.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    @Ezenkrul87
    Yes. Caravan system will be used to help build up different types of defenses for castles as well as nodes.

And also Castles have some kind of influence on nearby caravan routes.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/14luppZ3Ub8jmcw_aK65QWxYY4xa8qAo9zRfpYWBxOXE/edit
    Depending on the caravan that is launched, number of guards that will accompany the caravan and their strength will be based on a few factors; size of the node from which the caravan is launched, if the node falls under the influence of a castle, if the player has purchased additional guards, what the elected node official/officials determine they wish to allocate node resources to the caravan guard system. Caravan's will potentially include PvE disturbances along the route, depending on; it's destination, status of local quests lines for the area, and size of the node the caravan is originating from.
    Makes sense, but I most likely only the guild can participate in those nodes just as mentioned before that only the guild that owns the castle can benefit from the castles and the associated nodes
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Right.
    Caravans are all about nodes. One of the primary purposes of caravans is to transport the goods required for castle/fortress/village/town/city/metropolis defenses.

Castles are owned by guilds.
  • Options
    Having a ton of undead in front is what I have with my freehold ^^
  • Options
    Would like to see an element of Mount & Blade / Bannerlord!

1. Some destructibility of castle walls.
    2. Choke points in castle defenses
    3. Limit to number of sieges
    4. Sieges that are influenced by terrain. ie ice / fire catapult.. water/land, winter / summer influence
    5. Different NPC guards purchasable: ranged, melee, decoy, repair?
    6. Placeable / mobile barricades
    7. Placeable platforms
    8. If ladders, very limited
    9. Inner defensible zones
    10. Higher investment for defense means less vulnerable areas
    11. Tunneling under walls?
    12. Treasure/Loot Room

• Options
    I been hoping for a lot of that - stuff for Rogues and Crafters to focus on.
    And hopefully we will  also count on Crafters to help repair castles, fortresses and dungeons.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    I been hoping for a lot of that - stuff for Rogues and Crafters to focus on.
    And hopefully we will  also count on Crafters to help repair castles, fortresses and dungeons.
    This is also a hope of mine.

I love when crafters can get involved in more than just gear creation/alterations.