Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

PvE - what about Dungeons

Something i might have missed in the Podcasts and Q&A's on Twitch is information about dungeons. I heard the guys from Intrepid mentioning dungeons on several occasions but no more details. 

Would love to know if dungeons:
  • Will be instanced?
  • Are they repeatable?
  • How many persons?
  • Are they chained?
  • Will they contain multiple bosses?

Anyone who knows this yet? Any information would be splendid, got friends who are interested but not without decent PvE content. As a group we had great fun in instances like UBRS and Stratholme etc in WoW Vanilla.

Comments

• Options
    There are not many information about PvE, more like housing, nodes and a bit PvP to start with (bountyhunter and stats you can be in). Maybe there will come more in about 2 days for the big question stream ;)
  • Options
    The PVE information we do have is that there will be dungeons. They will spawn depending on node development, and have a random factor to them. Mobs in the wild will be a mix of levels, so if you're thinking zones like WOW, probably not. You could be farming away..run too far, and smack into something too tough, or vice versa. There are quest npcs that give various types of missons. Each servers dungeons will be different depending on the path the people on that server take. Build up a military node, maybe you get humanoid type dungeons, build up a religious node, maybe it is ghosts and spirits. Your friends have plenty of time to find out, you're at least a year away from info coming out of NDAless alpha.
  • Options
    I don't have a reference for it, but I could swear I heard/read a mention of group size being 8.  Can anyone confirm?
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    8 man groups? I hope so. It'll allow puggers to find groups easier. DPS will have a higher acceptance rate. 

I want instances because it's what I'm used to and I'm not fan of a hundred players showing up to a boss at the same time (bosses turn into slugfests with 0 mechanics). Aion Online did a VERY good job with picking their world boss locations and giving them only intermediate loot so it didn't become a farming location for thousands of players.

If bosses don't have intelligent mechanics (aka BDO style), I'll be seriously disappointed. Mechanics driven bosses make being a tank/healer fun. I can't do another tank and spank mmo. I just can't.

Instances should be repeatable. I didn't mind Tera's instance cooldown system. Preventing farming of instances was a smart move. It forced players to focus on other aspects of the game while they waited. It sounds like a drag to some but the sheer number of players who got to end game and missed out on a lot of items and skill upgrades became useless in the tougher dungeons which ultimately led to people quitting or constantly crying about getting kicked or not included in groups.
  • Options

Instances should be repeatable. I didn't mind Tera's instance cooldown system. Preventing farming of instances was a smart move. It forced players to focus on other aspects of the game while they waited. It sounds like a drag to some but the sheer number of players who got to end game and missed out on a lot of items and skill upgrades became useless in the tougher dungeons which ultimately led to people quitting or constantly crying about getting kicked or not included in groups.
    What I've understood is that much of the repeatability of dungeons won't be what we've become accustomed to. The dungeons will spawn based on locale conditions at the time they spawn. How long do they last? What changes in them? What triggers the spawn? So on and so forth; as far as I know, we do not yet know the mechanics that will answer those questions.

But as far as I know, additionally, it won't be a situation where the dungeons are static and we can just go in and grind them, ever ever after.

I'm pretty sure where my information is incomplete, someone else will be able to fill it in. I believe, also, that they addressed this briefly in one of their earlier Twitch streams; you can find all of them at https://www.twitch.tv/ashesofcreation/videos/all.
  • Options
    I'm fine with that. If they do a magical item system like D&D or any other TTRPG, they won't have to worry about set gear and what not. I'd rather a game that focused on player advancement and less on gear advancement (set gear, enchanting, etc)
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Instanced dungeons and raids will be rare - mostly to provide a specific story.

The best "bosses" will be players inhabiting mobs during Monster Coin Events.

Ashes will have relatively little repeatable content.
    It's a dynamic world with a life of consequence. What we do will change the world.
    Rather than the world being static and repeatable.

Hopefully you will have toms of fun in any case.
  • Options
    just hope there is good mechanics and stages of differently   
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    Instanced dungeons and raids will be rare - mostly to provide a specific story.

The best "bosses" will be players inhabiting mobs during Monster Coin Events.

Ashes will have relatively little repeatable content.
    It's a dynamic world with a life of consequence. What we do will change the world.
    Rather than the world being static and repeatable.

Hopefully you will have toms of fun in any case.
    The best "bosses" will not be the bosses associated with the players inhabiting mobs as those bosses only drop costumes. I am sure there will be actual world boss and event bosses that will provide better drops. However I guess that depends on your perception of best. 
    I do recall them saying that dungeons will mostly be open world type dungeon areas and not instanced. 
  • Options
    haha I suppose if you consider what's best about bosses is uber loot. Sure. :p

But, I was really referring to the post by IThrowSexyParties.
    Best, in that context, refers to intelligent mechanics. The most intelligent bosses will be those inhabited by humans.
  • Options
    Dygz said:

Best, in that context, refers to intelligent mechanics. The most intelligent bosses will be those inhabited by humans.
    That is assuming people are intelligent though which they are far from that...... I am also sure that the bosses will not really be that difficult..maybe the epic level ones. I also kind of figur
  • Options
    Dungeons dont have to give uber loot for me, its the experience that counts, not the loot. Somewhere in the last few years that changed for me, loot used to be more important for me.

Now its fine for me to find a rusty pitchfork instead of a Indestructable Katana of Vanquishing ;).
  • Options
    Dygz said:

That is assuming people are intelligent though which they are far from that...... I am also sure that the player inhabited bosses will not really be that difficult..maybe the epic level ones. I also kind of figured that you meant, in a role-playing sense, that the player inhabited bosses are the best considering. 
  • Options
    Dygz said:

That is assuming people are intelligent though which they are far from that...... I am also sure that the player inhabited bosses will not really be that difficult..maybe the epic level ones. I also kind of figured that you meant, in a role-playing sense, that the player inhabited bosses are the best considering. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Dygz said:

It's not an assumption that people will be able to tell the difference between AI bosses and bosses run by people with better intelligence than the AI.
    I don't know why you would assume that "best bosses" would refer to roleplaying rather than combat tactics and strategy... do NPCs "roleplay"?
    But, sure, I didn't quote IThrowSexyParties, so it's understandable that you could have missed the context of my post.
    No worries.