Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What do we know about gameplay?

Hey all, I just heard about this game today. I've been poking around the official youtube channel, and I'm a little perturbed by the lack of focus on the core mechanics of gameplay. So I'm here to ask some questions of the community.

1. Is this a trinity system game? I don't have a strong bias one way or another here, I just want to know what it is. If it is a trinity system, how big is the party size?

2. Are there raids? Once again, no bias here, I just want to know. If there are no raids, what other types of endgame will there be?

3. In general, how does this game play? Is it a keybinding GCD based game like wow. Is it a swing your weapon and things happen game like Dark Souls? Is it something totally new the likes of which we've never seen? What I want to know, is what it actually feels like to get home from work, log in, and kill some monsters.

Comments

• Options
    Welcome @Azivir :) 
    1. Yes Ashes is based on a trinity system, but it goes beyond the standard archetypes with primary and secondary class structure. For example, you can choose Fighter/Tank to be a tanky fighter or Tank/Cleric (Paladin) to have augments that let you heal yourself in combat.

2. Yes, there will be raids, but not in the same sense of "endgame" that we are used to in other MMOs. Ashes is structured so that content is constantly being revealed based on node progression, world events and other dynamic elements. We do know that raids will be up to 40 players.

3. From the looks of it, the gameplay is smooth and organic, but it's only in pre-alpha, so we haven't got much info to go on. Hoping to learn more as time goes on.
    There is a livestream coming up tomorrow, so hopefully we'll get some interesting new tidbits to mull over :)
  • Options
    Welcome to the community @Azivir XD
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    1. Yes Ashes is based on a trinity system, but it goes beyond the standard archetypes with primary and secondary class structure. For example, you can choose Fighter/Tank to be a tanky fighter or Tank/Cleric (Paladin) to have augments that let you heal yourself in combat.

2. Yes, there will be raids, but not in the same sense of "endgame" that we are used to in other MMOs. Ashes is structured so that content is constantly being revealed based on node progression, world events and other dynamic elements. We do know that raids will be up to 40 players.

3. From the looks of it, the gameplay is smooth and organic, but it's only in pre-alpha, so we haven't got much info to go on. Hoping to learn more as time goes on.
    There is a livestream coming up tomorrow, so hopefully we'll get some interesting new tidbits to mull over :)
    Thanks for the response! 

Even though I've only heard of this game recently, I want it to succeed, because I want a new MMO to play. I think I know enough now to offer some constructive feedback to the devs. I'm glad the devs are aware of all the other MMOs that have crashed and burned, but something that gets talked about less is what causes an otherwise good MMO to slowly decline. So I will be making a post about that later in the hopes that the devs see it.

I don't want this game to die due to common sense errors that could have been easily avoided.
  • Options
    lexmax said:

Thanks for the response! 

Even though I've only heard of this game recently, I want it to succeed, because I want a new MMO to play. I think I know enough now to offer some constructive feedback to the devs. I'm glad the devs are aware of all the other MMOs that have crashed and burned, but something that gets talked about less is what causes an otherwise good MMO to slowly decline. So I will be making a post about that later in the hopes that the devs see it.

I don't want this game to die due to common sense errors that could have been easily avoided.
  • Options
    lexmax said:

Thanks for the response! 

• Options
    lexmax said:

Thanks for the response! 

• Options
    I am also looking forward to more detailed info on the game mechanics, I have been playing MMOs for 12+ years and would love to see this become one of the greats.