Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Elemental spells/enchantments

Hello everyone,

First, I would like to preface this by saying, I've been playing MMO's for a long time, RPG's all my life.

I prefaced that because the question I have is important. When I first started, resistances and elements were a big part. One of the more recent examples would be. As a Mage in WoW, throwing a fireball at a Firelord, it did no damage, naturally. However, games have steered clear from this concept, and I do not know why. I've recently reinstalled an old game. (Ragnarok Online) and that game, whilst bad, and grindy, it makes you think of what spells you're going to get, or what type of arrows/gear you will bring. Things like this, they really increase the feel of the spells and effects. It's not just visuals.

So, I suppose my question is, will this be in the game? Or will it follow the current standard? You went full Frost Mage? Doesn't matter, go kill that ice elemental anyway.

Comments

• The complete resistance towards elements might be a bit over the top. If you really like the feel of a frost mage it would restrict you from completing certain content. And in general game studios dont want to cut players off from their content. 

What I do like is weakness and some resistance towards elements, this rewards players for using the right type element without screwing dedicated builds from certain content.
  • This evening in the live Q&A there will be informations about classes, maybe something like this will be addressed. You shold be able to post a question in th erelated thread.

From what I may guess you should not be able to go single element but full elementalist with a handful of spells for each element. Then, this is an hypothesis, we have yet to see the skill trees.
  • Neviathan said:
    The complete resistance towards elements might be a bit over the top. If you really like the feel of a frost mage it would restrict you from completing certain content. And in general game studios dont want to cut players off from their content. 

What I do like is weakness and some resistance towards elements, this rewards players for using the right type element without screwing dedicated builds from certain content.
    Good point, but as I said, rather easily countered. You can simply make sure a Mage for example can not JUST get fire, and they'll have enough skill points to get a second element at least. 

As far as non-magic classes go, giving weapons a property fixes that. And safe from a few skills, most of the things you use will use your weapons element. Obviously I'm not saying they should adopt this very system, I'm merely hoping to illustrate that there are workarounds :)

Thanks for your replies though :)
  • My problem with that is that the endgame content will be demanding and if some dps can't do their jobs they wont be taken and this will cause some players playing that to be taken to the endgame less and less. Say a frost mage wants to join a PUG for a boss with a frost affinity because it drops a piece he needs. Even if the mage has better damage normally the group would probably take someone else because the mage will have less damage on the boss than some other non-ice based spec/class build.
  • I hadn't looked at it that way, I just figured, different bosses in a raid for example would have different elements, so everyone would need to bring multiple weapons. But I can see your point. Hmmm.
  • I don't think the Term  " End-Game " will exist in this Game. Every activity will be
    well-rounded & connected to one another. Now , that's not to say it'll be like
     " CrowFall "  , but rather, the Journey will be different based on the Node's Development.

Because, this is essentially, a Constant-Evolving " feature " - this same " feature " will then Grant further Quests/Missions . These are going to a variety of types - gathering building materials, gathering crafting materials, to seek out an individual, maybe Trading Missions (?), and or course ... Combat Missions ( and others) . Naturally, however, they'll have other activities to do outside the Node - such Open-World PvP, Open-World Dungeons, Exploration, etc ...

In short, from my experience, the term " End-Game "  is ... its to basically have an urge to rush level-cap and intermingle with other Players whilst doing repetitive content. 
    (which, personally isn't satisfying & gets boring)

You won't have a need to Rush through content - you may play at your own pace & you'll never feel left out. Because if you chose an Artisan, and another High-Level Player might need your " proficiency "  in that particular Crafting Area - he/she might need your assistance. And the reward could be that ... you both decided to trade Crafting Materials. 

( Duly Note: A Player's Level doesn't mean that a Player's Crafting Expertise is of the same Level - two different things)

Basically, you'll be able to intermingle with other Players without having to worry about being shunned-out due to Low-Level. Plus, regardless of where you are at, every Node is going to need everyone's help to Build & Secure that Node.