Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Newly discovered variety in tanking and healing...?

I'm kinda just thinking out loud here, so don't mind me if it seems that I ramble a bit... I did at least save the more heavily theorycraft-centric stuff in that forum section though.   =)

So (based on the last question of today's stream) it seems there will be far more tanking and healing options, outside of the Tank/X or Cleric/X setup, if I correctly interpreted what they said on stream today.  Prior to today, I was assuming 8 varieties of each.  Tank or Cleric primary, and whatever secondary.  I assumed this because they would have the base skills designed for that role specifically.  Secondary roles are supposedly only there to augment the primary skills, right?  Or did I miss something where it was stated that some primary abilities would actually be changed to completely different functions and/or new ones would be added?

Either way, Steven and Jeff stated that any primary could be viable as anything, depending on what they choose for a secondary.  
That means 15 different varieties of Tank and 15 Healers!  
(Tank primary x 8 secondary choices) + (7 other primaries with tank secondary) = 15 choices to tank.

With this information being made known, how much more important do you think it is to have the ability to switch between multiple secondary specs available per character?  
You're no longer just dialing in on your single primary role when you pick a primary class, but rather also being allowed to spec into a viable tank AND/OR healer as well.  So many more options than I originally thought possible...

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure I came to the same conclusions as you, but I do think being able to have "load outs" to switch between different secondary specs etc would be useful to keep combat more dynamic. I think I'll have to watch the stream again and think about it some more :pensive:
  • Options
    Specifically, it comes up as the final question at 55:55 in the stream
  • Options
    That sounds interesting and I'd love to explore that once we do get access to Alpha ^_^
  • Options
    It is a nifty dynamic, if they make it work like it sounds.  You could happily live that Bard/Bard life, yet still step in and Bard/Cleric if your guild needs you to heal up some damage for a PvE or PVP adventure.  

As long as I'm hearing their statement correctly, you should be able to be a viable healer.
  • Options
    Does this mean that anyone can be a healer then... ? *thinks* If any class can secondary healing and be viable that is rather interesting
  • Options
    I would have said that secondary skills are there to augment the primary skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIVnt8SDdrY  May 9, 2017  mark 28:20
    "There are different types of Tanks: There are Tanks who are really good against magic or good against physical damage. There are Tanks who are evasion Tanks. There are tanks who are straight damage mitigation Tanks. There are reflect damage Tanks. There are aggro-oriented PvE Tanks. There's a lot of different types of a class."

The devs said they would be adding utility skills. Which should mean there additional non-combat roles for a Tank.
    Wall and Lasso sound like fun abilities. I would especially like to see Elves using those abilities instead of Shield Bash.

What I understood Steven and Jeffrey to say is that all 64 subclass combos would be viable.
    Keep in mind that the heal augments from Cleric secondary archetype are self-only rather than group - so, it's not quite the same thing as them being viable as designated Healer for a group.

And, we won't really have load-outs for swapping secondary load-outs - we probably will be able to swap...but, they're thinking about that requiring a quest. And probably means we still will have progression to acquire the augments, rather than all the augments becoming instantly available.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    And, we won't really have load-outs for swapping secondary load-outs - we probably will be able to swap...but, they're thinking about that requiring a quest. And probably means we still will have progression to acquire the augments, rather than all the augments becoming instantly available.
    Yes, as expected, the secondary classes will be unlocked by quest chains. But once unlocked it would be great to be able to store a secondary spec + gear as a loadout that can be activated outside combat and with a suitable cooldown and cost.
  • Options
    So as a rogue/cleric my rotation would be surgical strike, surgical strike, aggressive immunotherapy, masterful incision, bonesaw and then stitches as a finisher? =p
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    Dygz said:
    Yes, as expected, the secondary classes will be unlocked by quest chains. But once unlocked it would be great to be able to store a secondary spec + gear as a loadout that can be activated outside combat and with a suitable cooldown and cost.
    I doubt it. Life of Consequence. And Steven has said that if you swap Social progression, you lose ranks. Same if you swap religions. So, I expect the same will be true for secondary archetypes.
    But, again, good question to ask the devs.
  • Options
    Virtek said:
    Either way, Steven and Jeff stated that any primary could be viable as anything, depending on what they choose for a secondary.  
    That means 15 different varieties of Tank and 15 Healers!  
    (Tank primary x 8 secondary choices) + (7 other primaries with tank secondary) = 15 choices to tank.
    I've watched the stream over a couple of times now, especially the part around 55:55 and I have to say I have a different conclusion. 

What I understood is that Tank/Tank, Cleric/Cleric are the archetypical "roles". But each of the 7 hybrid roles from choosing one of the other seven classes as your secondary will also be viable.

If my understanding is correct, then there will only be 8 viable tank builds, 8 viable cleric builds etc. Nothing in the conversation hinted to me that you will be able to viably tank with a Mage/Tank hybrid etc.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I definitely remember that stream, and discussions that came out of it, @Dygz.
    Like the info that Tank/Cleric would be self-heals only.  But what if that mechanic was simply one they were keying in on because of that specific class combination, and the rest were a bit more open?

The reason I'm keying in on that was the question at the 55:55 mark on today's stream:

Q -  
    SconeOfDoom: "Will every class be viable in every role, or will they have one role they excel at?"

A -
    Jeff: "They will...it depends on your spec. Right?  Like...It ultimately always comes down to that.   We've got the archetypes.  Those archetypes, if you double down on them, they're going to be...that's their role, right?  If you wanna hybrid out, um, you can hybrid out, and you will be viable.  As long as your build supports that and your gear supports that."
    Steven: "The...I think the primary tenet to talk about is (momentarily distracted by Jeff creature) the ultimate point there is whether or not classes are gonna be viable with different builds outside of what normally would be attributed with a role for certain classes, and the answer is:  Yes, you will be viable, absolutely.  Depending on whatever customization you're gonna go down that route, you will have a place that is important in any class/party composition."
    Jeff: "And again, you're gonna have to build toward that, it will take effort. But it is something that we...is really important to us."

That question and answer seems to indicate that any primary class can guide their character to fill any role, if they use the correct secondary class, proper gear, and proper skill choice.  That's where I'm getting the idea that it is gonna be more flexible, @ChibiBree, @lexmax and @Dygz .

I'm definitely on board with that wall skill they were talking about!  Being able to drop a physical wall in place is a very interesting mechanic!
  • Options
    I have to agree with @lexmax based on the stream. Based on what they described, your primary class will dictate your role, while your secondary classes just augments it with a flair from another ( or the same if you go tank/tank or cleric/cleric)
  • Options
    @Karthos

Yeah, that's exactly how I was thinking things were going to work, based on previous information.  Seemed pretty straight forward.  
    But...they said you can be viable in a different role, if your gear matches that role.

If you're just changing what your ability augments are, why would the mention of changing all your gear have been such an important and doubly stressed note?  I'm still leaning towards the idea that they truly mean any primary class can be any role, if they gear and spec properly.  

Their answer to that question didn't outright say "Well, you have to be a tank in order to tank."  Or "Yes, there are tanking classes and there are healing classes, and there are support classes, and there are dps classes."  
    Which is how we all thought it to be before.  
    The answer was, basically: "They will all be viable in any role, with the right effort."

I mean...I can see them backpedaling a bit and saying it didn't come out quite right, but I'm so hoping for my conclusion to be correct.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    Dygz said:
    What I understood Steven and Jeffrey to say is that all 64 subclass combos would be viable.

Keep in mind that the heal augments from Cleric secondary archetype are self-only rather than group - so, it's not quite the same thing as them being viable as designated Healer for a group.
    I'm not sure how you have such specific information.  It sounds like they're still trying to figure out how augmented abilities will be implemented; only primary roles will be available for PAX.  

After rereading I think I agree with your interpretation.  Being viable doesn't necessarily mean viable tank or healer, but useful in some way to the group.

Edit: hmm I see their earlier comment about the paladin. It's hard to see how that comment is consistent with third viability discussion. 
  • Options
    What I get from all this is I really gotta watch the damn stream... 
  • Options
    I'm with @Virtek 's understanding on this. It does seem like non-tank primaries could be viable as tanks if they "hybrid" out into it and equip up a certain way.

But Steven's answer seemed pretty definite:
    "the ultimate point there is whether or not classes are gonna be viable with different builds outside of what normally would be attributed with a role for certain classes, and the answer is:  Yes, you will be viable, absolutely. "
    Of course... "viable" is a very wide term. Being viable as a tank isn't exactly the same as excelling as a tank. But it does seem like you'd be able to perform beyond of your primary's role and blur the lines between primaries a little. 

I'm not a huge fan of this due to it then being confusing especially in the context of "Cleric/Tanks vs Tank/Clerics". I'm aware of the paladins being self healers etc, but with the new information Steven has given in today's Live stream, it would seem that it might be possible for a tank/cleric to gear up and perform the role of a healer in the party and be "Viable" as a healer?

source: Deltias Gaming Q&A 
    Customization and having flavor, is that be that every class has the ability to heal myself (Tank primary , Cleric secondary)?
    1. In that case you’d be a Paladin,
    2. Some abilities will be inherent to the primary classes only (healing party members, casting fireball) instead you’d have augments with remnants of what those classes mean. Paladin may to a self heal or recovery. But wouldn’t be able to perform as a healer in a raid.
    3. Primary is the role you will take, you can Hybridize it with flavors of the secondary.
    perhaps viable just means playing that role outside of a raid. heh heh.

• Options
    @AutumnWillow

See...that's the info I've been going on for a while now, but the process of game development means change throughout the process.  That's why my brain picked up on it as a possibility.  Also, as you said, viable is a wide term.  it could simply mean that they could pick up the duties in a pinch.  Maybe as an off tank or off healer is what I was thinking.

Maybe you have it right tho.  Maybe they do literally mean outside of major content with a small group and free range adventuring.
  • Options
    It was discussed in Discord one late night, and created from the ashes of that discussion, combining multiple ideas given by different people, I prefer the idea of a difficult (group required) quest to obtain a rare item (1 drop per quest run, max 1 per account in inventory, non-tradeable, unable to be placed in storage, only one character per account could have this as an active quest. note this would not limit you performing this with another character AFTER completing the process with one).  Then coupled with this item, you "could" opt to use the item, thus losing 50% of the TOTAL experience gained since obtaining your current secondary class (yes deleveling the character) and removing the secondary class.  

Example (using made up information, non factual, based on a whim):
    1. you have to be level 40 to gain a quest to obtain a secondary class.
    2. you are level 45 before you complete the quest (some distractions while working on it, not to mention it was hard and took you multiple attempts to complete).
    3. now at level 49 you decide you picked the wrong secondary class and want to change it, you decide to complete the quest to get the secondary class you already chose removed.
    4. you are now level 51 when you get the item to perform the secondary class removal, you have completed 6 levels while using this secondary class.
    5. you activate the item.
    6. you are now single classed and level 48.
    7. you are now eligible to complete ANY secondary class quest to gain a new secondary class, knowing you will probably gain another level or 2 before completing that, and will most likely end up as a level 50 character that just obtained their secondary class.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Viable means that you aren't going to feel like your character is broken simply because you went with a Py'Rai Tank/Rogue instead of a Ren'Kai Tank/Tank.

Viable does not mean that a Py'rai Rogue/Tank is going to be viable as the primary Tank for a group.

An Empyrean Tank/Cleric will be a viable Tank, but will not be viable as the primary Healer for a group.
    --------------------------------------------------------

That Py'Rai Tank is going to want to focus more on Dexterity and Intelligence to be an evasion Tank rather than trying to focus on Strength and Stamina to maximize Shield Bash and soaking damage.

Taunt and Wall and Lasso will probably be better for a Py'Rai Tank.
    Shield Bash and Shield Cover will be better for the Ren'Kai Tank.
    Neither of them will be viable as the party Healer. But, they will probably be able to use the utilities of whichever archetype they choose as their secondary.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Dygz said:
    Viable means that you aren't going to feel like your character is broken simply because you went with a Py'Rai Tank/Rogue instead of a Ren'Kai Tank/Tank.

Viable does not mean that a Py'rai Rogue/Tank is going to be viable as the primary Tank for a group.

An Empyrean Tank/Cleric will be a viable Tank, but will not be viable as the primary Healer for a group.
    --------------------------------------------------------

This is my understanding too if we're talking about viability in the general context and of course, based on our previous understand of what has been shared through live streams etc.

However... The context in which Steven and Jeffery were using viability was "viability of a primary class to take on the role of another primary class".

Which seems to now imply that "An Empyrean Tank/Cleric will be able to customize him/herself into a viable (but not necessarily optimal of course perhaps) healer for the group" as opposed to the previous understanding that a "tank/cleric is still a tank but has some self heals".
  • Options
    I guess it all really comes down to what Intrepid defines as viable.  The true definition means that something is "Capable of working successfully."  I, personally, wouldn't call something that is "barely not failing" a viable option.  

That would be like a rogue/rogue trying to evasion tank.  They could probably evade long enough to stay alive and maybe keep threat long enough to keep a small group alive for a good bit as well.  Definitely not a viable tanking option though.

To me, a viable tank means that they can successfully tank for a group, with enough effort put in.  Among the best?   Not necessarily.  Viable just has to be good enough for it to be a valid choice, and not bad enough to be on the edge of failing with one or two mistakes.

Alas...we won't truly know until it can be clarified.   I have no horse in the race, per se, I'm just excited about the possibility of even more diversity in choices.  What boils down to 1 class in 8 that can tank, and another 1 in 8 that can heal, seems somewhat bland.  There are 6 dps classes, with soooo much variety between them.  I feel this would further limit the small number of people interested in volunteering for healing/tanking, as compared to the already small numbers in other MMOs.

Time will tell, eh?
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm ultimately fine either way. I'll work with whatever game mechanics the game provides.

My personal preference leans towards less flexibility in swapping class roles thus forcing player dependencies, but having flexibility in your primary class role isn't without its good points either. 
  • Options
    The last question was about roles; not classes.
    Each class has multiple roles. There are many types of Tanks.
    And really pertains to the quote I posted earlier:
    "There are different types of Tanks: There are Tanks who are really good against magic or good against physical damage. There are Tanks who are evasion Tanks. There are tanks who are straight damage mitigation Tanks. There are reflect damage Tanks. There are aggro-oriented PvE Tanks. There's a lot of different types of a class."
    ---------------------------------------------------
    QUESTION:  Will every class be viable in multiple roles or will each class have one role they excel at.

JEFFREY: It depends on your spec. Ultimately it comes down to that. We got the archetypes. If you double down on them, that's their role, right? If you want to hybrid out, you can hybrid out and you will be viable. As long as your build supports that and as long as your gear supports that.

STEVEN: The ultimate point is whether or not classes are going to be viable with different builds outside of what would normally be attributed with a role for certain classes. And the answer to that is yes. You will be viable. Absolutely. Depending on whatever customization, you're going to go down that route. You will have a place that is important in any class party composition.

JEFFREY:  And, again, you're going to have to build towards that. It's going to take effort. But, it is something that is really important to us.

The dev statements above do not mean that a Tank/Cleric can fill the role of a party Cleric or that the Tank/Rogue can fill the roll of a party Rogue. Rather it means that a combo that is not Tank/Tank will still be a viable Tank - Tanks have multiple roles.
    You will not break your character by choosing something other than a Ren'Kai Tank/Tank.
    A Py'Rai Tank/Rogue can be a great party Tank, but will have to build towards that with gear and wise use of racial stat progression, augments and primary ability focus.

I could be wrong, of course.
    We will see.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    The last question was about roles; not classes.
    Each class has multiple roles. There are many types of Tanks.
    And really pertains to the quote I posted earlier:
    ---------------------------------------------------
    QUESTION:  Will every class be viable in multiple roles or will each class have one role they excel at.

JEFFREY: It depends on your spec. Ultimately it comes down to that. We got the archetypes. If you double down on them, that's their role, right? If you want to hybrid out, you can hybrid out and you will be viable. As long as your build supports that and as long as your gear supports that.

STEVEN: The ultimate point is whether or not classes are going to be viable with different builds outside of what would normally be attributed with a role for certain classes. And the answer to that is yes. You will be viable. Absolutely. Depending on whatever customization, you're going to go down that route. You will have a place that is important in any class party composition.

JEFFREY:  And, again, you're going to have to build towards that. It's going to take effort. But, it is something that is really important to us.

The dev statements above do not mean that a Tank/Cleric can fill the role of a party Cleric or that the Tank/Rogue can fill the roll of a party Rogue. Rather it means that a combo that is not Tank/Tank will still be a viable Tank - Tanks have multiple roles.
    You will not break your character by choosing something other than a Ren'Kai Tank/Tank.
    A Py'Rai Tank/Rogue can be a great party Tank, but will have to build towards that with gear and wise use of racial stat progression, augments and primary ability focus.

I could be wrong, of course.
    We will see.
    True, it's possible. They haven't been very consistent with their use of the term "roles" haha. 

And there has been more clarification/quotes that leans towards the "tanks not being able to fufill the healing role of a cleric" theory Vs. this one slightly ambiguous statement. 

Ultimately we'll just find out when they decide to tell us more. Of if one of the royalty backers choose to ask it during their Q&A session and whisper the answer to us. *Wink wink*
  • Options
    hmm,interesting take