Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Item Importance

I'm not sure if this was mentioned , But i would like it if every item had a purpose - like for Crafting. I really don't like how in most modern MMOs they are those ... " useless items " thats only worth a small amount of in-game Money.

In doing so, this will allow there to be more creativity in Items,  more variety in item-drops & what they could craft into. because i'm hoping for a different kinds of Crafting Materials in large amounts.

Comments

• Options
    ^ Even if its only useful to craft other items. Please no junk ! :)
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    " ^ Even if its only useful to craft other items. Please no junk ! :) "
     o:) 
  • Options
    I would like to see most of the items that drop from mobs be of some use in some way, broken down for materials or components, rather than bags full of items that are nothing more then vendor trash.
  • Options
    I always felt that even a bad sword should be worth its weight  in ore at least 
  • Options
    as much as I agree, I want overlapping item values and possible duplicate effects among very different Items.

However, I really like the trash items. gives me something to collect in grand number like; brooms, or ashtrays, so on.
    They don't do anything other than add value, depth and believe-ability to the world, very much like a scrolls game.

Although if you meant ONLY within the crafting world for resources, then I would prefer obscure useless items that are only "useful" for one or 2 rare blueprints and everything else sees it as a semi-necessary additional component. 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    " as much as I agree, I want overlapping item values and possible duplicate effects among very different Items.

However, I really like the trash items. gives me something to collect in grand number like; brooms, or ashtrays, so on.
    They don't do anything other than add value, depth and believe-ability to the world, very much like a scrolls game.

Although if you meant ONLY within the crafting world for resources, then I would prefer obscure useless items that are only "useful" for one or 2 rare blueprints and everything else sees it as a semi-necessary additional component. "
    Lols, no not just Crafting Materials it was just an example. But, going by your logic, i would to Physically see myself carrying these Brooms & Astrays on my Character while traveling . As opposed to having a Broom in my Pocket, or an Chest Piece Armor in my Bag.

Weight Limit is a thing right ?

And why limit those useless items to just two ?  :p
  • Options
    In my opinion it is nice when items can be salvaged into mats, or used as mats for some purpose. Vendor trash usually gets dumped if I am farming heavy or on long raids once weight or space becomes an issue. This can be annoying if you are in an intense situation and trying for a drop only to lose it because you were filled up on vendor items, or end up dying or causing a wipe while trying to clean out bags. Loot items feel like they have more value to me when they have a use beyond simple sales. 
  • Options
    I understand the general idea behind the OP, and I too was that guy in other games who when he received these items, just hit "Destroy" and moved on.  I think that Ashes has a head start on avoiding that already.

In most other MMO's, harvested resources have very little inherent value.  There is no reason you can't simply "go get more" if you need it.  Thus, creating items with little value happens all the time because it just doesn't matter.  Given what we've heard so far of Ashes, the first measure that can help solve this is already in place.  Harvested resources "should" have more value in Ashes.  Obviously, we'll need to wait and see if it holds up in practice, but the systems seem to be there.

Now, where I have concern is that I've seen what a highly dependent and interwoven system can lead to.  I don't know how many folks here were heavily invested in crafting during the first year of EQ2's existence, but it was a bloody nightmare.  It was a system of heavy interdependence among crafters, and it was horrible.  It simply made crafting suck.  People quickly created alts simply so they could avoid the interdendence.  EQ2's early population was also much larger than what I think Ashes can anticipate.  I hope they take this into account.

Another piece I hope gets accounted for is the leveling process for crafters.  This also heavily contributes to these "worthless" items.  If a crafter's only means of leveling involves creating items, they are going to create the items that cost the least resources, and thus the lowest value.

Perhaps one way to combat those problems is to have the crafters guilds within each city offer zero value, unique raw resources to crafters in order for them to produce goods that can only be returned to the guild vendors as a means for leveling.  It would play into the whole idea of building up the node, without adding a bunch of "crap" to the in game economy.

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    Banditman said:
    " ...  Now, where I have concern is that I've seen what a highly dependent and interwoven system can lead to.  I don't know how many folks here were heavily invested in crafting during the first year of EQ2's existence, but it was a bloody nightmare.  It was a system of heavy interdependence among crafters, and it was horrible.  It simply made crafting suck.  People quickly created alts simply so they could avoid the interdendence.  EQ2's early population was also much larger than what I think Ashes can anticipate.  I hope they take this into account ...  "
    Duly noted.
    And if that same ... " Useless " material , can be utilized to make Crafting Material 
    After gather enough " grey items " / useless items, then this'll be fine.
    Thank for that valuable insight