Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Homer Simpson Car MMO?

Hopefully, a lot of you are familiar with The Simpsons TV show. One of the episodes you might remember, Homer is tasked with building a car for his brother. 

How does this relate to AoC? 
In the forums, I am seeing a lot of opinions, complaints and suggestions. Much like Homers car, I am sure each individual idea or suggestion is a good addition in its own right. But with too many opinions and ideas, it could be a total balls up. 

As you have seen from the addition of the June backing, Ashes is a crowd pleasure that wants to "listen to their community". However, in doing so, is a minefield in its own context.

What I am getting at is that, the reason games are a great success is because when they're being made, they know what they want to be, not because they catered to every little whim the best they can. I just want Ashes to do Ashes, ya know? I am not saying ignore all opinions of the forums, I just don't want it to turn into an abomination car.

Anyone else having similar thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Hmm I see what you mean but - as you've stated -

Flameh0t said:

" ... However, in doing so, is a minefield in its own context. "
    From what i can tell, most Forum Members have Experience MMOs and their Lack of Content ( and other notable faults )

So much so , most are Veteran / Seasoned.

Ultimately , however,  I understand what you mean - they should incorporate mechanics & features ( and more )  just like they planned.  However, they've are willling to accept the Fellow Forum Members' Ideas if they missed something - a virtue that most Game Devs, from other Companies, don't have. 
  • Options
    Eragale said:
    Hmm I see what you mean but - as you've stated -

Flameh0t said:

From what i can tell, most Forum Members have Experience MMOs and their Lack of Content ( and other notable faults )

Ultimately , however,  I understand what you mean - they should incorporate mechanics & features ( and more )  just like they planned.  However, they've are willling to accept the Fellow Forum Members' Ideas if they missed something - a virtue that most Game Devs, from other Companies, don't have. 
    What I meant by the land mine is "what's good for one player, may not be good for others" just cos 70% of people agree with it, doesn't mean you should lose the other 30%. Don't fix what's not broken? Or something.. I just want them to make what they're making and not worry about incorporating other people's interests until they do come across that lack of content and require more spice to continue their game.
  • Options
    Coincidentally, the only thing I'm concerned of ... is if the Devs haven't already thought of those " Golden Ideas " that other Forum Member's thought of too.

More importantly, is it even a thought to them ? Have they seen/read all of the ideas from other Forum Members ?

( such as the Countless LiveStream Questions that gets ignored ... and then it has to be repost until its answered. Has it been answered in a previous LiveStream and Members don't want to find it - thus leading to repetitive questions ?

I say this because Devs usually pick the same question answered in previous LiveStreams btw) 
  • Options
    Flameh0t said:
    Eragale said:
    " Hmm I see what you mean but - as you've stated -

Flameh0t said:

Ultimately , however,  I understand what you mean - they should incorporate mechanics & features ( and more )  just like they planned.  However, they've are willling to accept the Fellow Forum Members' Ideas if they missed something - a virtue that most Game Devs, from other Companies, don't have. "
    " ... I just want them to make what they're making and not worry about incorporating other people's interests until they do come across that lack of content and require more spice to continue their game. "
    I doubt this will happen  :p
  • Options
    Um no, ff14 ARR 1.0/1.X+ did just that.
    Listened to us players who played before 1.0
    Made an amazing game
    And I bought it immediately
    Its still one of the most played rpgs in the world.
    And with stormblood just coming out the game is ripping and roaring servers are full and people are hyped and having a damn good time.

And this game(ff14) took an incredible amount of feedback.
    They quite literally took their entire work schedule and posted it on the forums for the pre 1.0 players to look at and comment on and suggest changes and addens to it!
    Most companys don't even consider that idea but Square had the balls to stick their neck out and try something so crazy it just might work.

Most companies never get a second chance.
    Most games never get a second launch.
    And there has never been and MMORPG that has had a second launch let alone first expansion as successful as Ff14 has.

I don't have super high hopes for ashes but I am really excited to see what these guys and do to stir up the very boring and stagnent ARPG market that has be wanting more.
    I haven't had a good experience since like 2010 or 11 playing KR blade and soul as an assassin doing PvP in diamond.
    I want that exciting blood rushing feeling again.

I want to see the world of rpgs through the eyes of an ARPG development process and thats why I'm excited for ashes.
    Because its really hard to get the mixture of raid+open world+questing+progression+community interaction correct.

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    @ToryJJ

An excellent point - even i was debating if i should mention how FF14 had a reboot  and was successful in doing so 

(thought every one knew >.< )

But to add to what you said,
    I've always concluded that when making an MMO , the Priority of it's Devs should be:

Community >> Content >> Profits

And the best part for Intrepid Devs ... it seemed as though they already knew what was needed to be focused on when the Project was introduced  o:)

However, some feedback from the Community is always helpful indeed  :)
  • Options
    ToryJJ said:
    Um no, ff14 ARR 1.0/1.X+ did just that.
    Listened to us players who played before 1.0
    Made an amazing game
    And I bought it immediately
    Its still one of the most played rpgs in the world.
    And with stormblood just coming out the game is ripping and roaring servers are full and people are hyped and having a damn good time.

And this game(ff14) took an incredible amount of feedback.
    They quite literally took their entire work schedule and posted it on the forums for the pre 1.0 players to look at and comment on and suggest changes and addens to it!
    Most companys don't even consider that idea but Square had the balls to stick their neck out and try something so crazy it just might work.

Most companies never get a second chance.
    Most games never get a second launch.
    And there has never been and MMORPG that has had a second launch let alone first expansion as successful as Ff14 has.
    I agree with you completely that Square Enix did something that's still pretty much unprecedented in the gaming industry: They listened to their community, threw out their entire development plan and started again. And FFXIV grew to become one of my favorite MMOs!

This is slightly different to the situation with Ashes, because we haven't gotten a release yet, so the feedback from the community is somewhat hypothetical right now. The devs have always been pretty up front and ready to admit they haven't got all of the answers and seem to be more willing to listen to the community than protect themselves from criticism. These are very good signs!

I hope they will be just as responsive to the community come alpha and beta time; but as you say, we'll just have to wait and see :)
  • Options
    Eragale said:
    @ToryJJ

An excellent point - even i was debating if i should mention how FF14 had a reboot  and was successful in doing so 

(thought every one knew >.< )

But to add to what you said,
    I've always concluded that when making an MMO , the Priority of it's Devs should be:

Community >> Content >> Profits

And the best part for Intrepid Devs ... it seemed as though they already knew what was needed to be focused on when the Project was introduced  o:)

However, some feedback from the Community is always helpful indeed  :)
    I think that without proper testing of the games mechanics however raw they are when we get alpha access is in order for any real data and feedback to be collected.

Surveys can be easily added into the game/3rd party/through forum/email that allow them to gather valuable detailed feedback through player submitted answers.

There is also just normal general discussion which is very hit or miss too many variables.
    A lot of voices in a small room and you'll never know which are the ones to listen closely to.
    I'm all for crowd sourced ideas by all means... If we are the gift horses(which I am i mean I spent 485..lol...)then please just look into our mouths because we obviously want to share our time with you... its why we're all here...

Whats most important is indeed community.
    However for me another valuable thing that I've learned after playing ff14 and listening to Yoshida himself..

Is that no MMO should be something you're forced to play every day to "keep up"
    The balance between casual and hardcore is a very thin thread.
    And thats why I love ff14.
    There is a difference between good and bad raiders yes.
    But everyone is welcome to enjoy the content because the requirements to enter a raid are far lower than the reward given for completion of raids.

Therefor there isn't a need to spend 20 million years grinding things to get to the point of Ex and Savage dungeons.
    Everyone is welcome.
    They are hard of course and require good execution to come out on top.
    The learning part of the dungeons is fun too.

For me the strong points of an mmorpg are storyline.. Community.. And PvP.

Class balance really important to me as well.
    Its what ff14 has done well is tried to keep the classes balanced together so that all can be played and have fun with...
    Obviously pvp and Pve are completely different ball games.
    I would like to see a game that has seperate balance from pvp and Pve so that all classes can be useful in PvE and PvP with obvious differences between the modes to help make some more "op" stuff feel fair to people trying to learn like we all had to do at some point.

I'm also really big on sound design.. Music.. Ambience... character personalities....stuff like that really make me smile when I'm playing... I'm a "it's the little things" type of person when it comes to sound design.

I feel the "design" of combat is nice but its not what sells me.
    Animations are nice but not what sell me.
    World design is nice but not what sells me.
    All things are important but we each have our things that really "sell" the product to us.

Its hard espically for an mmorpg to really hit all the things a player looks for but I aspect each and every developer to try their damn best at their job and if its a little rough when shes leaving the port and setting sale for the first time so be it no one(s) perfect after all!

• Options
    This is a fantastic analogy, and I've always been worried about this, especially with how much intrepid wants to do for this game.