Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

City of Mages

So not to totally bum off of Dalaran, but who would be interested in founding a Magocracy? I think that a nation that focuses on magic could be pretty cool. Of course, I may be getting ahead of myself and that kind of thing may not even be possible.

In any case, thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Would love to see this implemented somehow, magic user masterrace 5 lyfe
  • Options
    I like the idea of separating the cities by some measure, whether it be race, class, profession etc. 

I think the role playing servers are going to be the most fun in this game just because of how creative the game will allow us to be
  • Options
    Gallidron said:
    So not to totally bum off of Dalaran, but who would be interested in founding a Magocracy? I think that a nation that focuses on magic could be pretty cool. Of course, I may be getting ahead of myself and that kind of thing may not even be possible.

In any case, thoughts?
    It's bringing tears of joy and megalomania to my eyes <3<3 Thank you!
  • Options
    Location Wizard Citypng
  • Options
    I love that wizard city is immediately a case of megalomania. You people really are spell casters at heart.

So proud... so, so proud.
  • Options
    I like the idea of separating the cities by some measure, whether it be race, class, profession etc. 

I think the role playing servers are going to be the most fun in this game just because of how creative the game will allow us to be

Agreed, unfortunately the rp community is going to have to pick an unofficial server. There won't be any official rp servers.
  • Options
    Magic will be in the game, but I don't know if it is more related to Divine Nodes or Science Nodes, there have been suggestions that it could be either, or both.  We have yet to see, but I do not see any mechanic that would prevent some kind of Mage settlement.
  • Options
    This is a awesome idea who don't like magic ☺
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    Maquiame said:

Agreed, unfortunately the rp community is going to have to pick an unofficial server. There won't be any official rp servers.
    To clarify, just a bit, on the devs idea behind "RP Servers," they've said they're hopeful that RP will happen on all servers. All the servers will be unique, as different players will build the nodes in different ways. There's a good opportunity for RP in a broad spectrum, I think, but we'll see what happens as it gets closer to happening.

As for the original question, I do know that "Zones can fall under 4 different categories; Military, Divine, Economic or Scientific. The zone type will affect the government type and buildings of the Node, as well as the content generated from that Node’s progression." So, for instance, it mightn't work to well to try to develop a Mage City/Node in a Scientific category, depending; might Divine work? Hmmmmm ...
  • Options
    Isende said:
    Maquiame said:

To clarify, just a bit, on the devs idea behind "RP Servers," they've said they're hopeful that RP will happen on all servers. All the servers will be unique, as different players will build the nodes in different ways. There's a good opportunity for RP in a broad spectrum, I think, but we'll see what happens as it gets closer to happening.

As for the original question, I do know that "Zones can fall under 4 different categories; Military, Divine, Economic or Scientific. The zone type will affect the government type and buildings of the Node, as well as the content generated from that Node’s progression." So, for instance, it mightn't work to well to try to develop a Mage City/Node in a Scientific category, depending; might Divine work? Hmmmmm ...
    Not saying that rp won't be on all servers, but I know most roleplayers will seek each other out and head to the same server. So far that's the plan with the rp community here as well. Especially if we can gather in the same cities together.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Well still have to have peons, I can see the government being mage only, if it's even possible considering it might be based on votes via people with freeholds in the area. However a city of all mages might not grow very big and might be a hamlet of hermits. 
  • Options
    Volomon said:
    However a city of all mages might not grow very big and might be a hamlet of hermits. 
    And a Foundry of Fairy Folk! However, it is certainly a possibility, to have similar settings bound by race or craft also. There's a lot of info to be revealed but I hope they provide this possibility if that's the wish of the mage playing populace.
  • Options
    It'd be nice for a city to adopt a unique building to kind of represent the node's specialty. So a node that's reached a high level in science could have a huge library. I kind of imagine something equivalent to the library in Alexandria, something monumental - so that it becomes clear that this is a place for learning.

Undoubtedly the same principle could be applied to other cities: an immense fort in the middle of town if they have high military, huge cathedrals for religious nodes, and so on. 
  • Options
    oh no I want my city to be varied , I will be a squishy mage but i need strong blacksmith, carpenters, hunters and warriors to maintain my lifestyle thats for sure
  • Options
    Love this idea. A whole city dedicated to the mystical arts. They could have different districts,with distinct buildings, in the city that represent different types of Magic (light,dark,nature,etc.)
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I'm only ok with this if the city features:
    1. Kefka Palazzo look-a-like somwhere in the city
    2. A book of magic easter egg titled "The Never Ending Story"
    3. Hogwartz (Not my personal fav but people will lose their minds, I am sure)
    4. A Dark Crystal (Because classics must always be remembered!)
    5. Staff of the Red Dragon display case (b/c the first D&D movie was bitchin!)
  • Options
    Sounds like a great idea.
    But will this place be open to all arcane arts ?
    Including the darker ones ?
  • Options
    I would love to see a system where cities are changed by either its player choosing a theme or the amount of class/race specific citizens. So a city with the majority of mages would form a magic theme or a city with a majority of Dwarves would form a Dwarven themed city, I think that could be cool? At any rate, I just want a Dwarven city.
  • Options
    It sure would be interesting to see cities reflect their majority population.. but that sounds tricky
  • Options
    Very tricky but what a delight! :D
  • Options
    I love the idea of a mage city. Heck I love the idea of some cities being known for certain things player wise (and while they will probably have everything if you REALLY want to experience X, you go THERE)
  • Options
    Wraeven said:
    It sure would be interesting to see cities reflect their majority population.. but that sounds tricky

I thought they were planning to do that, buildings in the style of the race which contributed the most to the construction of a city. But idk if we'll be able to customise the locations of buildings and districts in cities. 

And a city full of mages... do people with mage as subclass count?  xD
  • Options
    I'm all for being the Master Scholar for this city :relaxed:
    Come to me for all your spell and scroll needs friends and I shall advise you as I can! Woot.
  • Options
    I just hope for spell crafting.. Think Oblivion, creation of spells would be so cool.
  • Options
    With the idea of a Magocracy, like wise the other classes could probably each of a city of their own. If this were the case, perhaps trade would be even more needed between each city, thus setting up the establishment of a server wide caravan system. In a Kingdom of Knights but find quite a bit of magic items? Send it over to the Magocracy!
  • Options
    I love the idea as well. Envisioning a city of magical research and study. It would be awesome to create new spells, especially if somehow it could be a communial effort. A team of mages working on a project to bring new magic to the world would be amazing.