Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Re-imagine Archers and how they play. Thoughts on Livestream30/06/2017

Hi Folks,

I don't know about you, but the archer class sounds very "boring". It felt like a rehash of all the same old mechanics we've seen in the past.

I'm here to suggest new mechanics that will stay true to the core concepts of archer while bringing forth enjoyable and meaningful gameplay.

1) Ammo system skill variant.

I propose having a combination of what ammo is being used + skill = resulting skill.

3 types of ammo: Classic, heavy, compound. You can rotate the ammo loaded via "R" key or mouse scroll wheel (doesn't matter how). The icon associated with the arrow type will be displayed near you character. Each skill will have a bonus effect depending on what arrow you have selected.

Example: 
Basic power shot: Deal X% dmg. Classic: Additional armor penetration. Blunt: Stun enemy. Compound: Splash dmg.

Example:
Sparrow kick: Jump backwards while shooting an arrow: Classic: Pin the enemy. Blunt: Knock back the enemy. Compound: Explosion launches you back 10 extra meters.

Example:
Auto attacks: Classic: fast/low damage/high range. Heavy: Slow/high damage/low range. Compound: AoE dmg/mid range.

2) Charging up shots.

Holding down skills will apply additional bonuses.

Example:
Volley = launch 3 arrows in a arch towards a location (+2 arrow per charge). Holding down the key, a glowing arrow icon will appear above your head. Every 0.5 seconds of holding, another glowing arrow icon will appear above your head, for a total of 7 arrows icons. Once you let go your key, instead of shooting out 3 arrows, you launch 17 arrows.

Example:
Basic power shot: Deal X% dmg (+5 m range per charge). Holding down the key, a glowing arrow will appear above your head. Every 0.5 seconds of holding, another glowing arrow icon will appear above your head, for a total of 5 arrows icons. Once you let go your key, instead of shooting 25 meters, you shoot 50 meters.

3) Toggle between close and range combat

Example:
Use the "shift" key to switch between weapons and skill hot bar. The method how doesn't really matter. But it should be easy and fluid. I would put a cooldown (like 2 seconds) between the two "stance".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The end goal of these mechanics is to 1) reduce hotbar space while providing more variety to skill tactics. 2) Add flexibility and purpose to charge/channel skills. 3) be more fluid in combat, reduce downtime of gameplay.

What do you think? Did you like the archer preview in the Q&A? Do you think they could do a better job on the archer class? What mechanics do you think would enhance the archer gameplay?

Comments

• Options
    I love the idea but I don't think it would be possible to use. just in data requited alone it would be taxing on servers 
  • Options
    @nagash

You might be right. I cannot tell if it is possible.

I really do hope they add the love, care and attention they gave to the tank class to the archer class. I've seen many MMOs where the archer class felt lack luster, repetitive, with overused mechanics and skills. Everything they mention in the Q&A for archers was not new to the genre. Unless i missed something ofc (I was playing a game while listening to the Q&A).  
  • Options
    I have the same problems with summoners. you get pet like monsters that just feel weak or one monster that is op I just want a game where summoners get treated well 
  • Options
    nagash said:
    I have the same problems with summoners. you get pet like monsters that just feel weak or one monster that is op I just want a game where summoners get treated well 
    Aye. I don't even main archers, but I'm making this post because it felt wrong to get a rehash! Though I might be crying foul for no reason. Maybe everyone who mains archer loves the classic archer gameplay? Oops. I might have to delete this post!

Anyways I feel you. I would be disappointed if summoners did not get the love and care tanks did as well!
  • Options
    @Shirikuryu
    I once thought of Rangers using an MMOFPS Combat-Style ... but then I remembered about those Aim-Bots ... so probably not.

My idea of the Ranger is being able to make use of the Arrowhead, Fletching and the Nock:

(Zoom-in on the Image-Link Below)
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/Arrow.svg

The Arrowhead could be drench in Poison, could be an Armor-Piercing Arrow, or imbued with some Magic (as shown in a Cinematic Footage).
    Or maybe a Barbed-Arrowhead ?  While the Read-End of some Arrows could be latched on with Rope ? 

I'm hoping the Bow can Crafted into a Metal Bow ? If so then ...

Well ...in short, i'd imagine the Ranger to be something similar to this Vid below :p
    ( Along with the Magic, of course )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEyE0rQAdfs

Lols, in actuality, its hard to pin-point my vision of the Ranger.  :s

• Options
    nagash said:
    " I have the same problems with summoners. you get pet like monsters that just feel weak or one monster that is op I just want a game where summoners get treated well "

I was going to make a long post about what you said ... but that resulted in making an entire post about it   :D

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/33995/how-do-you-imagine-the-summoner#latest

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    @Eragale

Back from holidays.

Yeah, I agree. The tab targeting takes out the fps mechanic. If they had it fps style shooting, I would have a archer skill that would show "weak spots" on the boss that would guarantee a critical hit if you can snipe the exact spot.

Hitting anywhere around the hitbox(enemy's silhouette) will be a normal attack.

Hitting outside the hitbox but inside a square crossfire would be reduced damage.

But it's sad they went the tab-targeting route (thought I understand why they would do so as well).

I had to zoom in on that image 250% lol. I would love to see a certain level of expertise revolved around archers such as how their bow and arrows are crafted. Giving the class more depth and a steeper learning curve. Creating bows that have poison crafted inside OR having skills that gives poison to the attack? Or both?

As for the combat, in the video, the mix between fluid melee range and long range combat would make the archer class exceed expectation. Using the bow as a "sword" or switching out to a dagger could be implemented to give archers the flexibility to go in and out of combat depending on the situation. Personally I would like to see maybe the "left mouse button" be used for the long range attacks, and the "right mouse button" be used for close range attacks.
  • Options
    @Eragale

" Back from holidays.

Yeah, I agree. The tab targeting takes out the fps mechanic. If they had it fps style shooting, I would have a archer skill that would show "weak spots" on the boss that would guarantee a critical hit if you can snipe the exact spot.

Hitting anywhere around the hitbox(enemy's silhouette) will be a normal attack.

Hitting outside the hitbox but inside a square crossfire would be reduced damage.

But it's sad they went the tab-targeting route (thought I understand why they would do so as well).

I had to zoom in on that image 250% lol. I would love to see a certain level of expertise revolved around archers such as how their bow and arrows are crafted. Giving the class more depth and a steeper learning curve. Creating bows that have poison crafted inside OR having skills that gives poison to the attack? Or both?

As for the combat, in the video, the mix between fluid melee range and long range combat would make the archer class exceed expectation. Using the bow as a "sword" or switching out to a dagger could be implemented to give archers the flexibility to go in and out of combat depending on the situation. Personally I would like to see maybe the "left mouse button" be used for the long range attacks, and the "right mouse button" be used for close range attacks. "
    Love these ideas - especially the last part  :o
  • Options
    I like your idea with the ammo. Pre NF DAoC required you to actually carry ammo and if you ran out you ran out. You could also carry different kinds of ammo depending on the target which I really enjoyed since it made you have to understand the effect each of your arrows had on what armor type. If they could bring something like that back to the ranger class I'd be happy with it though I may be alone on that. 
  • Options
    I like your idea with the ammo. Pre NF DAoC required you to actually carry ammo and if you ran out you ran out. You could also carry different kinds of ammo depending on the target which I really enjoyed since it made you have to understand the effect each of your arrows had on what armor type. If they could bring something like that back to the ranger class I'd be happy with it though I may be alone on that. 
    I actually agree with you that there should be an ammo system. We actually might get some heat over it as people have strong feelings against an ammo system (thats why I only specify type of ammo vs QTY). I would love it if they added a QTY system to ammo so people would have to plan ahead on how long they will be hunting for and how many arrows to bring. But I know some people hate the inconvenience of having to buy arrows.

Anyways, you are not alone friend. XD
  • Options
    I actually agree with you that there should be an ammo system. We actually might get some heat over it as people have strong feelings against an ammo system (thats why I only specify type of ammo vs QTY). I would love it if they added a QTY system to ammo so people would have to plan ahead on how long they will be hunting for and how many arrows to bring. But I know some people hate the inconvenience of having to buy arrows.

Anyways, you are not alone friend. XD
    Exactly. Part of being a ranger is being prepared for the upcoming fight. Making sure you arrows are stocked and possibly poisoned if they allow us to. To me it just adds that extra level of depth to the class that I really enjoy. 

Good to know I'm not alone in this. 
  • Options
    Has any information been releases concerning hei skills and weapons will work?
  • Options
    ThatGuy2 said:
    Has any information been releases concerning hei skills and weapons will work?
    Yup. They talked about the archer class in their twitch livestream30/06/2017 Q&A. You can watch it on twitch.tv/ashesofcreation

They talked about the skills that they will showcase in their pax-showcase of archers. Many of them were the typical archer class skills you find in most mmorpgs. They mention abit about playstyle. Anything concerning the actual weapon was not really touched on, but there was a glimpse on the effective range of the archer class, which might be correlated to weapon used.
  • Options
    ThatGuy2 said:
    " Has any information been releases concerning hei skills and weapons will work? "
    The important thing to remember is that its still Pre-Alpha. So there's a good chance that some of the Discussed PlayStyles mentioned, won't be definite - anything could change  :)
  • Options
    I think that Ranger right now is fine, I like the way they spoke about it, a charged up shot that you can release anytime and it deals bonus dmg based on the charge, a snare shot, a disengage jump that then fires a shot onto the enemy, and you throw 4 arrows into the ground to "prep" them and you deal 2x dmg with them. And that is only the skills that are gonna be used at PAX, imagine the other spells they could have, like what you said about rotating between 3 sets of arrows, they could just have a spell that oh your next ability does bonus cold damage and slows them adding even more to the kiting and it also if used with snare shot would root them even longer, or roots them idk if snare shot slowed or rooted.

But also you just need to think of your imagination and say it out as you think of some of the abilities that are released, a ranger/cleric could have a power shot that does healing to allies it pierces as well as damages enemies because they were talking about having the arrow pierce through people. a ranger/tank power shot could be a lasso, but instead of pulling people it roots people to the length of a 15ft rope where the arrow "lands" or where you shot it from for a duration further enabling them to kite. 
  • Options
    iLician said:
    " But also you just need to think of your imagination and say it out as you think of some of the abilities that are released, ... "
    Indeed . I do this all the time and come up with great ideas  B)
  • Options
    Exactly! The devs so far have wanted the community involved a lot, if you think something isn't fleshed out, provide some info of how you think it could work and they might like that idea and do it or rework it around alil.
  • Options
    For the most part I like the ranger but with the minimum distance they will need to make sure they give them some kind of melee ability otherwise it will kill the character.