Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Is RPing actually Fun?

2»

Comments

• Options
    lexmax said:
    Why are you playing the game?
    Answer that one question honestly and you'll have answered your thread question about ANY aspect of the game: RPing, PvEing, PvPing, Completionism, etc.
    While I agree with you in general terms, I have to say that collectable games sometimes trigger my completionist side and can turn into a grind for me rather than playing for pure enjoyment. 
    When I feel a game has turned into a grind for me then it's time to quit and I do.
  • Options
    SethGure said:
    In almost every mmo community i have had the pleasure to be part of, there was always a group of Rpers. Rpers who only played the game to partake in the story rather than actually playing the game. Now i dont have anything against rping or RPers for that matter. However, in my eyes, Rping in MMOs does't really look fun. Most MMOs have worlds that are so generic that RPing in them is truly insulting. The story of the world isnt interesting, so why would RPing to be part of it be fun. Again, i am not hating on the rp community, but i happen to think these games are designed for playing and rping in them would mean you don't get to experience the game the way it was intended to be experienced.  It is like reading the prologue to a 1000 page story. Speaking of stories, if rpers find it fun to roleplay in some sort of a setting, then why not rp to an actual story. There are hundreds of people who RP to, say, GoT or LoTR. Find a story you like and it Is almost guaranteed that will find folks interested in roleplaying to that story. Please enlighten me by answering the title question. Is RPing actually fun? And if so! Why do you think that? Let's chat.
    Is RP fun hmm.. . In MMORPGs i generally dont RP, I find the notion quite wierd and usually to many elements or interactions from other players that could potentially break the role/immersion. 

In things like D&D or other table top games I do enjoy the roleplay aspects, but thats mostly because it takes place in the theater of the mind, a place where I have almost complete control and can make things "fit" in the sense I want it too. Something I find lacking in an MMORPG enviroment. At the end of the day to each their own, if people enjoy something thats great and more variety of different types of gamers ususally means more conflicts of interests....

Which then usually creates some hillarious stories!
  • Options
    DeathsProxy said:
    ...more variety of different types of gamers ususally means more conflicts of interests....

Which then usually creates some hillarious stories!
    lol  I would expect this sentiment from someone who post's a youtube video, of Steven's "weeded out" face, on a Fanngler, doing a "Doobly Doo"(?) dance, with his avatar (scythe in hand) hiding in the corner.  Than, making a post in the forums apologizing to Steven...while drawing more attention to what he apologizing for...  :p

"Conflict of interests" indeed.   ;)
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    I'm only here for the RP.
    Well ok not JUST that, but mainly.

Yes I find it fun, it's basically dressing up in funny costumes with your mates and acting in ways that can be completely out of your real personality.

It's telling stories to people, and helping others to act out and make a game-reality of their own stories, it adds extra depth to an already great environment.

It's like going to watch stand up, without having to pay.

All those npc quests you've done before? It's a lot more fun when you can tell them exactly where to stick it.

And yeah, whilst I'd suggest if you do rp, trying out a few different personalities, (not all of them are fun to play,) I'd recommend if you wanted to try it for the first time, aim for either the personality that 'speaks' to you from the character, or a personality that you think you would have the most fun with.

I can't rave about it enough, but it fits my personality. It's not for everyone. The one thing you will normally find, is that obvious rpers are friendly to those curious about giving it a try.

I care so strongly about the opportunity we have to make one of the greatest rp communities ever here in the ashes, I wouldn't give two flips though if it wasn't fun :D