Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Does anyone remember?

Hello,

I had a dialogue with one of my old internet friends recently. We were talking about MMO's and the way they were going, mentioned several MMO's.
One of these MMO's mentioned was Star Wars The Old Republic.

Now, whatever thoughts you may have about the game, what I remember most fondly, were the "Fan Fridays" Every Friday at 4pm (European time) they posted an update, or a video showing us something. Updates could be anything, art, screenshots of a new planet, etc. It kept me coming back to those forums for a loooong time. Was looking forward to every Friday.

I was wondering, if anyone else would think something like this might be awesome? I certainly would.

Comments

• Options
    Image result for Member berries gif
  • Options
    Image result for Member berries gif
    As soon as I saw the thread title I knew this was coming xD
  • Options
    I know I'm like a parrot but I'd love to see more communication on the forums from devs :)
    I'd love to see after launch continous streams even if it's once a month chatting about the game and future patches etc xD
    A long way to go but I look forward to the future xD

• Options
    Diura said:
    I know I'm like a parrot but I'd love to see more communication on the forums from devs :)
    I'd love to see after launch continous streams even if it's once a month chatting about the game and future patches etc xD

Agreed.  I think it would be beneficial to people being more involved and interested in keeping the game on track to what we are hoping for.   
  • Options
    The livestreams are good but yeah a forum update by the community manager wouldn't be that bad.
  • Options
    Honestly, I like that people are calling out for more dev involvement on the forums. I mean, I realize I'm old, and I realize that most of the cool kids are doing everything on Disc; however, I'm old, lol! I see Disc as being a great tool, but my main (read, comfortable) source of obtaining information is actually the forums.

So for oldsters like me, I'd love it if we got more dev love on the forums, and I agree, I'd like to see them continue to be as involved with the community, even after launch, as they are now. Course, that may well mean we cut into their game time; we couldn't do that, now could we?

Hmmmmm ... dev interaction in game! Rotating servers, so on and so forth!
  • Options
    Discord just doesn't seem like the best place for dev communication.
    Tends to get lost in a sea of clutter.

I'd probably prefer more twitter interaction.
    Forum communication is kinda archaic, but would be OK (and probably better than Discord) if the Search functioned here.
  • Options
    Dygz said:

Forum communication is kinda archaic, but would be OK (and probably better than Discord) if the Search functioned here.
    I agree with Dygz. 
  • Options
    I'm not on facebook or twitter and generally not keen on speaking to people at all, but if they'd like to update me, fine.
  • Options
    On discord, you are able to sort through messages to find posts by specific members. This would be more useful if there was a "Master" Community user for the future. Looking through Steven's posts doesn't always catch everything.
  • Options
    Dygz said:

I couldn't agree more.

Seems like stuff just gets swollen up on Discord unless it's in a specific channel. 
  • Options
    Dygz said:

I like forums because I like archive type systems and pinning useful messages. I don't have twitter so I can't really comment on that xD I do like discord and I try to relay messages on discord to here when I can - shouldn't really be me doing that though .-. cos I'm not the community manager or a mod. All important or any messages from the devs should be shared on all medias to make sure the entire community gets the same information :)
  • Options
    I remember those fan fridays.  I also liked those Gnost Dural timeline videos.  They were a great way to keep fans interested during the long dev time.  I think Intrepid is doing a good job so far with giving us stuff to chew on, and I hope it keeps up.  
  • Options
    Good plan. Do it Devs before the forums truly die :)
  • Options
    Warkov said:
    I remember those fan fridays.  I also liked those Gnost Dural timeline videos.  They were a great way to keep fans interested during the long dev time.  I think Intrepid is doing a good job so far with giving us stuff to chew on, and I hope it keeps up.  

Yea! I forgot the guy's name. But they were absolutely amazing, yea :) 
  • Options
    So I'll say what everyone else on here is saying, more involvement on the forums from IS, but I'll give the dev's a break here and say let them actual develop the game. We have a community manager, thats her job.  ;)

Now my 2 cents on SWTOR. I never had anything to do with the game before launch and only came into it about 2-3 months after. If the devs were that involved in the game pre-launch then where the bloody f*ck did they disappear to after launch? I was running around with like 5 level 50s running Eternity Vault, Karragas Palace and Explosive Conflict for the 5000th frickin time waiting on something, anything else to do in that game. If I have to choose, let the devs give me nothing on the forums pre-launch but actually give me stuff to do in the friggin game after launch.
  • Options
    Diura said:

Agreed.  I think it would be beneficial to people being more involved and interested in keeping the game on track to what we are hoping for.   
    @CylverRayne and @Diura

I also agree peoples expectations of what they want and what the devs will produce are two different things. Having said that it would be good for the devs to comment to certain threads to keep the interest alive and keep vivid imaginations to a minimum.  With all the twitch streams to date we have some ideas of what the game will be like the rest is all speculation and conjecture.
  • Options
    I think that people have started seeing what op proposed : just a small teaser / comment video , as now to mean ongoing daily in depth forum participation.
    Hmmmm, no
    I don't think anyone wants to take the devs away from their work to that extent.

I see it more as just a small weekly nod to the community that we haven't been forgotten.

Even a line once a week from them regarding lore would be great.
    Something like: 'of course this is still a wip and can change, but Tulnar have comparatively short lived compares to the other races, 40 years is considered old age.'   It'd take 30 seconds, wouldn't spoil anything, but would keep the speculation train fueled
  • Options
    I would like to clarify, that these where things that had been done/worked on. The community manager (Whom, as far as I know) has little to do with the actual development. Just a "Oh, look, this is the concept art our senior level designer is currently working on"

Or "Here I (Read community manager) am showcasing some abilities for the class you want to play, give you a feel for it"

What I'm trying to say is, none of this actually takes away from game development (Not even the like 1 minute interviews they sometimes had) But it keeps you involved with the game that much more.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    If your talking about having a twitch after the games com out (launched) weekly then that would be a great idea. They have one now though ever couple of weeks. Perhaps they could just carry it on.