Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Favorite parts from other MMOs

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited July 2017 in Ashes of Creation Design
What's the best MMO you've ever played? I'd like to see some parts from my favorite games in AoC.

Comments

• Options
    I look at 2009-2012 Runescape (pre-EOC and before it was pay to win) to be the best MMO of all time (IMO).
    • Quests (each one was different with a meaningful story behind each one). The best PVP with bounty hunter than you would risk mid-high level gear and lose it all in certain instances. Regular pvp you could keep several items that you wouldn't want to risk.
    • PVE would work great with teams but would be more difficult to get drops with larger groups. The better you were at the boss, The better odds of loot you had (Solo PVE is just as fun as Group PVE).
    • Economy was ever changing with Jagex's weekly updates and evolving world. allowing the richest of players to horde gear is inevitable, I believe that this is a good thing---but don't turn the economy into a richest 1%. Keep 10-20% of the players rich and allow for everyone to strive for that goal (AMERICAN DREAM lol). New quests, mini games, challenges, etc. allow for new items to be introduced into the game and I'd like to see these released at a high rate. Allowing for an ever-changing economy that grows and grows as players do will make the game exciting and I hope to always something new around the corner.
    • Skills were grindy, but there were so many different ways to train including different rewards that came along with the training that allowed for differentiation when choosing the "best" or  "fastest" training method (mini games are life).  Top levels of skills should be VERY hard to achieve. The power that comes with top level skills allows one to help lower levels achieve goals easier (take that however you'd like).
    • Guilds were simply a huge group of people with common interests. They didn't massively change the game but made it more inviting to try new things and the more the merrier when it comes to friends and raid partners. 
  • Options
    Don't really have a clear favourite but here are some of the things I enjoy the most feature-wise from various MMOs:

• HOUSING: RIFT has a very solid housing system where you can literally move and adjust thousands of objects within your Dimension (instanced housing). There are plenty of interactive items, some that adjust your sky, buildings and other structures that you can place down and you can add NPCs to breathe life into the area. This means that 2 people with the same base Dimension can come up with things entirely different unlike say.. WoW garrisons that really only change the position of fixed buildings. 

• QUESTING: Runescape is often seen as a childish grind fest but one of the things it does really well is its Questing system. It is incredibly varied going from super simple 4-5 step quests to ones that need a lot of time and effort invested to even begin followed by up to 40-50 steps filled with challenging content and more than useful rewards. The generic 1-2 step quests in most MMORPGs has its place but I hope to see lots of multi-stage quests in Ashes of Creation.

• SOLO/DUO PvE INSTANCES: It doesn't have to be instanced and it could spawn out in the open but I'd love to see mini-dungeons/scenarios that are tailored towards a single player or two. Obviously this would be in addition to all the larger scale PvE content. RIFT has this in the form of Chronicles which are like dungeons but for 1 or 2 people.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Not all of these will be in AoC, and they do not necessarily need to be, but some of my favourite things from previous mmos would be...

-Pretty much everything from Ryzom. The crafting, the skill system, the weather system, the npc and animal AI.. the game was ahead of its time.

-Quests and books from games like EQ2. I like indepth quests and walls of lore, what can I say. :)

-House and lair building from Istaria(also, playable dragons).

-Raids and combat from Wildstar.

-Housing and decoration systems from Wildstar/EQ2.

-The general world feel from ESO. I love the fact that npcs talk, sing, play music, wander around, and generally act like people. Also, the fact that you can pick up darn near everything is neat too.

-The Ryzom Ring from Ryzom. For those that didn't know this was a tool that let you build your own instanced area separate from the world, and then invite others to it. It wasn't housing, it was a tool that let you basically design a space. NPC, houses, plants, etc, you could place it all and then give the NPCs pathing and dialogue. Basically you could make your own quests, and then invite people to play em.

Some of these things are making an appearance of sort in AoC, which is one of the reasons I was drawn to the game, and some of these things will never be seen outside their respective games... which is okay too.
  • Options
    I think the forum ate my post, so if it was deleted intentionally I am sorry and feel free to kill this one too, I meant no offence. Also, if the forum DID eat my post and it shows up later resulting in the posting of two similar posts from me, I also apologise. Right, here's the list again.

-Basically everything from Ryzom. That game not only had amazing crafting(one of the two best systems I've ever seen), but it also had dynamic weather, seasons, animal AI, an complex and unique skill system. It was ahead of its time. It ALSO had an area where you could make your own little instance and design basically a pocket dimension with your own houses, plants, npcs, and the like. You could give them dialogue and path them how you wanted. Basically it let you create your own quests in a world template of your choice, and then later invite people to play them.

-The questing, in game books, and general world lore from EQ2. I love this questing style. The quests are often complex and tell you huge amounts about the world and its lore. They make me feel like there is just an endless story to forever be uncovering. Heh, the books were just a fun side passtime to add to that. :)

-House and lair building from Istaria. I loved that in this game you could find a plot of land and then just build on it. Or, in the case of lairs, dig down into it. You could plan things however you liked, and each persons plot of land ended up being unique to them.

-House decorating from EQ2 and Wildstar. While Istaria was great for building the houses, it lacked in the decoration department. The two games I listed above however, excelled in it. You could spend hours placing any manner of things to make some truly unique creations.

-Combat and raid system from Wildstar. This is obviously just a matter of taste really, but I loved the combat system in Wildstar. I liked that you didn't target anyone per se, but actually had to pay attention to what you were doing. It was part of what made the raids in that game so much fun. I also like raiding in general, so that doesn't hurt.

-The general world of ESO. I love that the world in this game feels alive and lived in. NPCs will wander around, talk to one another, sing and play music, etc. You can wander pretty much anywhere, steal, pick up pretty much anything. It feels a lot more like a little world than a lot of other mmos tend to.

Do I need to see all this things in AoC? Naw.. though it appears enough of them are there that I will still be very happy. :)
  • Options
    Don't really have a clear favourite but here are some of the things I enjoy the most feature-wise from various MMOs:

• HOUSING: RIFT has a very solid housing system where you can literally move and adjust thousands of objects within your Dimension (instanced housing). There are plenty of interactive items, some that adjust your sky, buildings and other structures that you can place down and you can add NPCs to breathe life into the area. This means that 2 people with the same base Dimension can come up with things entirely different unlike say.. WoW garrisons that really only change the position of fixed buildings. 

• QUESTING: Runescape is often seen as a childish grind fest but one of the things it does really well is its Questing system. It is incredibly varied going from super simple 4-5 step quests to ones that need a lot of time and effort invested to even begin followed by up to 40-50 steps filled with challenging content and more than useful rewards. The generic 1-2 step quests in most MMORPGs has its place but I hope to see lots of multi-stage quests in Ashes of Creation.

• SOLO/DUO PvE INSTANCES: It doesn't have to be instanced and it could spawn out in the open but I'd love to see mini-dungeons/scenarios that are tailored towards a single player or two. Obviously this would be in addition to all the larger scale PvE content. RIFT has this in the form of Chronicles which are like dungeons but for 1 or 2 people.

RS Questing is the best I've ever seen in an MMO! Hoping to see that system implemented. 

Solo/Duo PvE was my favorite too!! In RS in particularly it being able to solo those smaller bosses and still receive top tier loot was so fun!
  • Options
    One of the most important things for me will be the world. It must seem alive and react to what's happening in it. This is one feature that Zenimax implemented very well in ESO. When you walk through the world you hear folk discussing deeds that you have done or, lambasting decisions you have made which has impacted the world. The world felt so alive and I thought it was a pretty cool feature which meant that you never grew tired of visiting older locations.
  • Options
    EQ for the community and the "First Time" experience.  I've played most over the last 20 years.  Currently back into GW2, I like the game, the communities good, and I enjoy the map completion aspect of the game, I'm a bit OCOD when it comes to exploring.  So hoping AOC will have something similar. 
  • Options
    Oh, I thought of another one. The building system from Landmark. Say what you will about the rest of the game, I loved that I could build wherever I wanted. Not only that, I could build WHATEVER I wanted. For instance, what I did was find a sheer cliff on the edge of the ocean and then claim that land. I then created an underwater entrance into a series of stone rooms decorated with pillars that I carved out myself. It was before they added water to the material creator and I had wanted water in my little underground area, so I used to water level of the ocean to create pools and such in the stone rooms I hollowed out. :)

Istaria gives me this feeling partially with lairs, but Landmark was much more flexible. Still, Istaria lairs are nothing to sneeze at and are still absolutely beautiful. It's just the difference between placing pre-made rooms and building them(Istaria), and planning every aspect of your area down to a single square(Landmark).
  • Options
    Nayukhuut said:
    Oh, I thought of another one."
    I LOVE IT!! Claiming land will be a huge part of this game!! so excited for the future!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Stacks said:
    Nayukhuut said:
    Oh, I thought of another one."
    I LOVE IT!! Claiming land will be a huge part of this game!! so excited for the future!
    Yeah, but it's not going to be the same as Landmark. But yeah, I'll take what I can get, and the housing system in this game still looks to be pretty amazing. I just liked that in Landmark I could plop down anywhere and manipulate the world with near dev like tools. I want an underground temple? Easy, all I needed to do was mass delete the rock I wanted and then add as I saw fit from my choice of any material my character had gathered and then handshape any details I wanted. It's hard to explain if you never played Landmark, but there was nothing else like it.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Planetside: Jumping straight to ongoing battles, and seeing waypoints from anywhere in the world.
    SWG: Basically all of it pre-CU, and even CU
    SWTOR: Story telling and voice overs
    EVE: Complexity and meta gaming
    Anarchy Online: removable Body Tattoos
    EQ: running npc trains

• Options
    I agree completely with the Runescape reference, greatest MMO ever.
  • Options
    TheMetro said:
    I agree completely with the Runescape reference, greatest MMO ever.
    MY MAN!!!! @TheMetro