Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Bolstering 'Community feeling?'

I'm a 'granddad' player (in real life and in gaming style!) who potters, will explore Ashes as a ranger/gather/explorer type, and generally develops my crafting and artisan skills intensely. And please be quite certain that I'm just as serious about that as any PvP-er. Hmm... and maybe just more patient?

That also makes me think: In real life I have a lovely wife who's an instinctive 'community carer.' (These are usually known as 'grandmas') - those lovely cake-baking, new-neighbour-welcomers and listeners and soothers of the neighbourhood, who become known for their particular wisdom and calmness. These lovely people tend to be the social cement of a community...[though sadly, she thinks of gaming as totally weird!]

Of course, we have 'healers' and 'clerics' for their particular skills, but the above sort of person provides a whole different sort of community 'balm'. So I would be fascinated to see if something akin to a 'kind neighbour' type of player-skill could be incorporated into a game such as Ashes, and provide a sort of 'strengthening of community' benefit if there were enough of those types in an area...

At this point I 'm only sorry I can't say...'and here's a cake I've made for you all - do enjoy!' but the commode is calling...again.

Comments

• Options
    Welcome!

Are you asking for a mechanic or a person? If a mechanic, any ideas on the behavior you would want to see from it?

I'm kind of thinking something like a leader skill from other games where playing in the players party would provide some kind of buff.  
  • Options

So I would be fascinated to see if something akin to a 'kind neighbour' type of player-skill could be incorporated into a game such as Ashes, and provide a sort of 'strengthening of community' benefit if there were enough of those types in an area...

Sounds like a career politician, but honestly, let's not even go into that conversation.  :D

I am of the impression that anybody could perform actions that strengthens the nodes and hence benefit the community. Outside of that, I think the strengthening of bonds and building of community has to be done outside the game system via the organisation of player events like a bake sale, or social gathering, or a good old scavenger hunt. 

Our guild used to craft our own type of quests in game. We write a story, ask for help from the community, and gave rewards like gold and stuff.

• Options
    I like the idea that something like this could be worked into a 'crafting' or additional skills, but yeah, I do think that if this was given a huge amount of thought you might be able to come out with some solid idea at the end of it....

I was going for the 'volunteer helpers' at launch idea...  if you made a certain item in game, then getting players to be able to send you one (without ever owning one themselves) for being helpful, might be interesting....
  • Options
    This sounds like a wonderful idea.   There are people who do offer to help new players though.  Will think on this.  The old brain needs some nourishment  but ideas are starting to form.
  • Options
    The sentiment is one that I love. The stronger the community is the more fun a mmo is. I can't think of any in game mechanics that would properly reflect this though. I believe we as a whole have already started to build a warm and open community here in Ashes through these forums, the Discord, and the multitude of recruiting guilds. 
  • Options
    I guess you can make a mentor or teacher profession and have newbies come and play with you in exchange for indentur... uh I owe yous? =p

But if you want people to be your slaves, I mean helpers, you have to bind them together with rope, I mean a vision!

So maybe the new lesser species that are not elves can fulfill their purpose in life by gather mats for me and I'll dress them up to be really cute domestic serva... butlers!

So I guess good guild leadership UIs and event planning and helping with that also being a thing for node leaders!
  • Options
    There was a mentor programme in Second Life, where volunteers with a track record of community involvement and a fairly deep knowledge of the game would help new players. I remember fondly mentors providing awesome advice when I had questions, and I eventually became one myself to give back to the community.

• Options
    To begin, I love the concept. I do. However, as a game mechanic, I have to wonder if it would be open to some form of "farming" for whatever benefits/buffs it might offer; in short, taking something good and making it a ho-hum item.

I gotta say, we do have a great community here, and certainly, we have folk who're all about "How can I help?" I think that, given the right in-game tools (communication, largely), we can and will build some pretty awesome communities in the game, as well.
  • Options

'...Are you asking for a mechanic or a person? If a mechanic, any ideas on the behavior you would want to see from it?

Hmm. How might it work...? After reading additional comments also...it is hard to work out how it would happen in certain ways besides how a healer- or crafter-type might offer.
    I think the actions of this sort of person in game might include things like:
    - heal people whilst they are fighting for their town against attacks/threats; 
    - freely 'res' (resurrect) a  just-died player
    - freely harvest (lead others to?) or provide materials to those wanting to craft items (or simply to craft said items)
    - ditto provide foods/drink/recipes
    - freely in game give their time and game-knowledge in going with newbies to help defeat monsters

But the overall description of these actions might be 'community kindness' or community minded' - and I totally recognise that they are the usual and various actions of such as good guild members anyway.

I like Lexmax' comment about 'mentor'/helper' type people - sort of resonates.

How might it work in game? (@McStackerson's 'mechanic'): Maybe if you receive some type of spontaneous kindness from another player, could there be a way you could reward them a 'community point'? And Intrepid 'provides a certain recognition? 

Hmm. Further thoughts?
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017

I'm a 'granddad' player (in real life and in gaming style!) who potters, will explore Ashes as a ranger/gather/explorer type, and generally develops my crafting and artisan skills intensely. And please be quite certain that I'm just as serious about that as any PvP-er. Hmm... and maybe just more patient?

That also makes me think: In real life I have a lovely wife who's an instinctive 'community carer.' (These are usually known as 'grandmas') - those lovely cake-baking, new-neighbour-welcomers and listeners and soothers of the neighbourhood, who become known for their particular wisdom and calmness. These lovely people tend to be the social cement of a community...[though sadly, she thinks of gaming as totally weird!]

Of course, we have 'healers' and 'clerics' for their particular skills, but the above sort of person provides a whole different sort of community 'balm'. So I would be fascinated to see if something akin to a 'kind neighbour' type of player-skill could be incorporated into a game such as Ashes, and provide a sort of 'strengthening of community' benefit if there were enough of those types in an area...

At this point I 'm only sorry I can't say...'and here's a cake I've made for you all - do enjoy!' but the commode is calling...again.

That's what being an Artisan is all about.
    Cakes provide buffs that can act as a balm.
    But, house decorating should be fun.
    Maybe your wife would have fun showing off her costumes and pets.
    There is a grandma who plays Wizard101 who sponsors house decorating contests.

Kind neighbor can be a wonderful role!

Healing and rezzing is the purview of Clerics. A role she could have in addition to being an Artisan.