Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Mega or Region Server

so, i am just curious and didnt figure it out jet, but maybe some knows the answer ^^

when the game will be released, will there be one big megaserver (like eve online), or will there be region server (like wow etc.)

Comments

• Options
    Region server most likely, since they said that things will go differently according to what players do in a server or another.
  • Options
    Regional Servers for NA, EU, OCE
    Region Servers : Servers will have a capacity of 10k players.

No idea how it will work if server merges will be required and what not but i know that's what they are aiming for.
  • Options
    ah okay. seems i missed some information then.
  • Options
    Diura said:
    Regional Servers for NA, EU, OCE
    Region Servers : Servers will have a capacity of 10k players.

No idea how it will work if server merges will be required and what not but i know that's what they are aiming for.
    Yep, but a small detail is that they are shooting for 10k concurrent players as the server maximum. So say you have someone with 8 alts, they count as a single human player. There may be 20k people registered on that server, but as long as server load stays around the 10k mark as a maximum they have no need to open multiple new servers. Every MMO has had this problem when going with regional servers. There is an initial surge of interest, and after a few months player numbers begin to stabilize. Server merges are build into the lore. We need to move everyone from the dying Mercury server to the robust yet not full Saturn server in that region. "OMG someone has unleashed corruption Armageddon, all players pack up your stuff and run for the nearest world portal!!" You know, the same portal that deposited you here initially on a one way trip from the gods. Well the gods have opened a new one to save you, so hop on in.
  • Options
    If you want to focus on community, I don't think a Mega Server is going to work. If the game becomes popular enough, too many faces and names around makes it hard to form clicks. Just regional servers and sub servers in that, would be preferable, the problem there lies in the fact that it needs to be balanced with the size of the world itself.
    If the world is big, it might just feel too empty. If it isn't, the world might feel too small.

Generally speaking however, I vastly prefer smaller servers. Recognising people (Including those in enemy Nodes) makes me feel connected to the world a lot more.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    It is a moot point discussing the mega server. I was decided long ago to go with regional. The engine (Unreal 4) is not set up to handle a mega server, regardless of whatever coding magic they say they are going to pull off to make it work with smaller regional servers. They have also stated that they are going to be on google cloud. So if you would like to see which is closest to you:
    https://www.google.com/about/datacenters/inside/locations/index.html

From Discord: -Q: Is there a rough estimate on the total population per server? (Probably way too early to know though)
    <span>+A: Our current design is aiming for around 10k concurrent users</span>
  • Options
    It will definitely be regional servers and multiple at that I assume.