Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How will corruption work?

How will corruption work? If I have accrued corruption, will I be jumped by guards as soon as I walk into a city?

I have this dream of being a professional thief. A sneaky rogue that's a con-artist, plotting heists and scheme to rip off the rich. To what extent will I be able to adopt false ("good") identities? Can I change my name and appearance to avoid recognition.

Idea: What if your corruption level was only detectable by those with a certain utility? Kind of like real life. Upon meeting me you wouldn't know right away what my past was, or if I was being genuine or deceptive. So, for example, if I wanted to run for a government position or join a guild under a false identity, it would be up to them to employ a detective (someone with the corruption-detecting utility) to check me out and vet me.

Comments

• Options
    From what I've heard, with corruption, comes debuffs so... Hiding it might be REALLY complicated.
    But I'm happy to see a fellow plundered xD
    Although I'm more into assassinating a king or mayor than becoming one. For me those types of people are the same as healers in mass pvp: they have a huge sign board on their head saying "Kill me please or riot".
  • Options
    "What type of flagging system will be used for PvP in Ashes?
        (See this image for a visualization of the following: http://imgur.com/a/a3DWx)
    There are three states that a player can find themselves in: Non-Combatant (Green), Combatant (Purple), and Corrupt (Red). Everyone is a Non-Combatant by default. If a Non-Combatant attacks a Combatant or another non-combatant, then they become a Combatant for a period of time. Similarly, if a Non-Combatant enters a PVP zone (which includes things like Castles, City Sieges and Caravans) they are automatically flagged a Combatant while in the zone, and for a period of time after leaving that zone.
    Players can kill Combatants without repercussions, and are encouraged to do so, since dying while a Combatant means you suffer reduced death penalties. Where this changes is when a Combatant kills a Non-Combatant. In this case, the Combatant is Corrupt, and acquires a Corruption Score (which is accrued based on a number of different parameters, including the level differential of their freshly slain victim). This Corruption Score can be worked off with effort through a few mechanics, but the primary means of getting rid of it is through death.
    While a player is marked as Corrupt, they may be attacked by both Combatants and Non-Combatants. If a non-combatant attacks a corrupt player, the non-combatant will not flag as a combatant.

As a follow up, what is experience debt?
    Experience debt is accrued through death. It’ll effect your performance in game. 
    Will there be anything in place to stop people from killing people outside of a dungeon of some sorts or a city?
    The corruption mechanics/flagging system is a very heavy handed deterrent to outright PK'ing, and will sufficiently reduce the occurrence of PK'ing, though we will obviously playtest this

Will there be systems in place to prevent PvE minded players from being mindlessly slaughtered by PvPers?
    Yes. 

How many mats do you drop if you get pked?
    All materials/resources have weights assigned to them in order to work with the caravan/material transport system. You will lose a percentage of the weight of those resources based on your combat status (non combatant, combatant, corrupted). 

Will there be a jail system?
    No

Will there be a bounty hunter system?
    Yes. Players can acquire the bounty hunter title through a quest available only to citizens of Military Stage 4 (Town) Node. Bounty hunters will be able to see corrupted players on their map. Corrupted players may kill BHs without acquiring additional corruption skills."

From the google doc but dunno how to get the google link off the app QQ 

• Options
    WAIT!! I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT BOUNTY HUNTERS!
    How am I going to roam freely outside the city with my corruption T-T?
    Diura said everything which needed to be said, but I think your idea of hiding your corruption state might not be so bad with a potion, but only for a short period of time and a cooldown. Like this, you can enter a city if you need to do something really fast.
  • Options
    Waysm said:
    From what I've heard, with corruption, comes debuffs so... Hiding it might be REALLY complicated.
    But I'm happy to see a fellow plundered xD
    Although I'm more into assassinating a king or mayor than becoming one. For me those types of people are the same as healers in mass pvp: they have a huge sign board on their head saying "Kill me please or riot".
    Oh I don't want to be King either, but to pull off a proper heist/assassination I may need to get into places in which only the "privileged" are allowed.

Debuffs seem too.. lame? I get that corruption as a concept is a necessity to prevent people from making the game not fun, but I also think there should be opportunity for a real balance of good and evil. If there's no real opportunity for evil, whether it be covert or overt, it seems to me that it would contradict the design philosophy of being free to choose your own adventure. If obeying the laws gives you a literal advantage in the game, then what's the fun in that? I wouldn't disagree that it should be more difficult to succeed as a thief or assassin, but an automatic debuff that lowers your stats, sics the guards on you and that everyone can see just seems unimaginative and extremely limiting.
  • Options
    By debuffs I don't necessarily mean something which lowers your stats, it may be something which prevents you from entering a node without being attacked, taking quests because your corruption is too high, selling things to npcs.
    Let's imagine something like this: when you become corrupted: you have your score which is 1. Then starting 1 to 10 you can't sell your things to npcs, then from 11 to 20 you can't take quests, and lastly 21-30 you can't even get in the node unless you want to do some 1v10 with the guards.
  • Options
    https://errantpenman.com/2017/01/11/interview-ashes-of-creation-wants-to-bring-the-virtual-world-to-life/

This Interview also clarifies many other things.
    @ChickenFlyLice , regarding what you asked, just scroll down  :)