Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Release Date Confusion

I´m a little bit confused about the information we´re getting concerning the release / beta dates.

When I bought my backer pack the estimated delivery date (which, I assume, is the date we can get our hands on the game) says Dec 2018

But I have seen from multiple sources that a developer mentioned a release date “before 2020”
and that the closed Alpha will start approximately around Q4 2018.
But all backer packs have the ETA with Dec 2018 even those without any Alpha or Beta access.

Can anyone clarify this?

Comments

• Options
    What I know is: Alpha 0=> Dec 2017, Alpha 1&2 During 2018 no precise time, for the Beta I have no idea, but maybe Dec 2018 or early 2019
  • Options
    -can you clarify a couple of things for us please. a) will winners of a alpha key be able to participate in all of the test stages (i.e. beta) b) what alpha will the winners be able to participate in? some people seem to think that the alpha key will allow them to participate in the family/friends test, c) will the testing stages come in waves (i.e. alpha 1-3, beta 1-3) or will it persist and have updates when needed?
    Steven
    +We have several Alphas planned obviously. As well as Friends/Family invites.  Winners of the Alpha Keys will have access to our Early Alphas, that will be by invite only.  They will be under NDAs for these alphas.  Our crowdsourcing packages will include access to a persistent alpha, seperate and later than the alpha that our weekly drawings give access to.
    (edited)

! JaPeMo [ashesofcreation.es]
    -So, with a key drawing, a alpha winner have acces for example all alphas and after all betas? this theme was discusion this today
    Steven
    <span>+Key Drawing winners will have access to only the First Alphas, and First Betas.  Access to these are not purchasable.  However, our crowdsourcing campaign will include packages with access to our persistent Alpha, and to several closed Betas.  These are only accessible through supporting Ashes in the crowdsourcing event.</span>
  • Options
    alpha 0 (invite only)  is in Q4 2017, Alpha phase 1 is planned for Dec 2018, other than the launch being prior to 2020 that's all the information we have so far
  • Options
    Thanks, @Shunex! I do have to say, though, that the verbiage on the packages is a bit confusing/misleading. Dunno if it's possible to "clean" that up at all, but if so, might be beneficial.

Ciao!
  • Options
    They cant all start on Dec 2018, both alpha and beta though can they. I thought this was just cut off date when they had to deliver it by.
  • Options
    @Relwoh

They dont HAVE to deliver by any date (or even at all really). The packages all said 'estimated' delivery date. Alpha will be first obviously then followed by the beta. Im guessing mid-2019ish for the later. Then a release of Q4 2019. Still too long to wait...  :'(
  • Options
    Jackless said:

But all backer packs have the ETA with Dec 2018 even those without any Alpha or Beta access.

Can anyone clarify this?

@Jackless makes a good point here.  Packages that don't include Alpha or Beta access should not have a delivery date listed on them.  It creates confusion.
  • Options
    Simple enough. They have to give an estimated date of delivery of your digital goods to show good faith, otherwise they could be repeatedly sued during development by those with a penchant for frivolous lawsuits. They don't have to meet such date, just offer it. So they decided on the arbitrary Dec 2018 date. I would be more concerned about statements like "Invite to Closed Alpha - Phase 1 (Earliest Access to Ashes!)" which it turns out will NOT be the earliest access, but instead will be the closed alphas under NDA slated for release later this year. They like to play lots of word games. For this particular wiggle they have decided that key giveaway alphas don't count as access, since they are not "persistent." As more and more of these wordsmithing tweaks keep showing up to explain why the company keeps offering stuff with shiny tag words like "exclusive," to turn around and try to hoodwink people by saying "Oh, we meant the price was exclusive, not the product."

So basically you have a couple options. Pledge your money, sit back and relax, and wait for them to give you access on their time frame. Or pledge your money, then cause yourself undue stress by checking every week to see what the current spin is.

For me personally, the sign that things are truly going down the road of "We got your backing, but have decided to milk this cow till the teats are dry, then shoot it in the head for hamburgers," is if they end up trying to get even more player funding beyond the Summer Backer period. Something along the line of "We feel that the game didn't have enough exposure during the Summer pledge drive, so we are going to have our Fall Backer period, so those that didn't have the chance can pledge. Don't worry, you can still get all the "exclusives," because we have decided that by adding another 50 bucks to each pack makes them "price exclusive."
  • Options
    Jackless said:

I´m a little bit confused about the information we´re getting concerning the release / beta dates.

When I bought my backer pack the estimated delivery date (which, I assume, is the date we can get our hands on the game) says Dec 2018

But I have seen from multiple sources that a developer mentioned a release date “before 2020”
    and that the closed Alpha will start approximately around Q4 2018.

Can anyone clarify this?

Indeed confusing, I have always thought release(finished game) was set december 2018. I heard alot of talk and confusion on discord aswell.

I have seen all the video streams and cant remember it beeing validated or not. might have missed it though.

I'm waiting for two games to come out now, Star citizen and ashes. The wait seems overwhelming sometimes. But when they finally come out I want them to be as polished as possible so players will stick around in the future, not get a bad taste and quit forever so the wait will hopefully be worth it.
  • Options
    ToKev said:
    @Relwoh

They dont HAVE to deliver by any date (or even at all really). The packages all said 'estimated' delivery date. Alpha will be first obviously then followed by the beta. Im guessing mid-2019ish for the later. Then a release of Q4 2019. Still too long to wait...  :'(
    Incredibly optimistic. Everyone would be happier assuming they will not make the 2020 estimate. Give them a couple extra years and you won't be disappointed, but pleasantly surprised if they release before 2025. 
  • Options
    well. that's super shitty what a long wait by than my hype will be gone and i will have forgotten all about this game until its pretty much dead. :(
  • Options
    tayale said:
    well. that's super shitty what a long wait by than my hype will be gone and i will have forgotten all about this game until its pretty much dead. :(
    Look at it like a trip to Bangkok. You drop your cash on hookers and blow. Go back home, and 5 years later you get a nice surprise with that HIV diagnosis. So, compare Ashes to contracting HIV. You forget about when you dropped the cash, and BOOM, you will get a nice surprise down the line.
  • Options
    Simple enough. They have to give an estimated date of delivery of your digital goods to show good faith, otherwise they could be repeatedly sued during development by those with a penchant for frivolous lawsuits. They don't have to meet such date, just offer it. So they decided on the arbitrary Dec 2018 date. I would be more concerned about statements like "Invite to Closed Alpha - Phase 1 (Earliest Access to Ashes!)" which it turns out will NOT be the earliest access, but instead will be the closed alphas under NDA slated for release later this year. They like to play lots of word games. For this particular wiggle they have decided that key giveaway alphas don't count as access, since they are not "persistent." As more and more of these wordsmithing tweaks keep showing up to explain why the company keeps offering stuff with shiny tag words like "exclusive," to turn around and try to hoodwink people by saying "Oh, we meant the price was exclusive, not the product."

So basically you have a couple options. Pledge your money, sit back and relax, and wait for them to give you access on their time frame. Or pledge your money, then cause yourself undue stress by checking every week to see what the current spin is.

For me personally, the sign that things are truly going down the road of "We got your backing, but have decided to milk this cow till the teats are dry, then shoot it in the head for hamburgers," is if they end up trying to get even more player funding beyond the Summer Backer period. Something along the line of "We feel that the game didn't have enough exposure during the Summer pledge drive, so we are going to have our Fall Backer period, so those that didn't have the chance can pledge. Don't worry, you can still get all the "exclusives," because we have decided that by adding another 50 bucks to each pack makes them "price exclusive."
    Scary words, yet smart. I really hope I don't get disappointed yet again. I don't mind the 150$ I invest, but more so the constant and never stopping waves of failed promises from gaming companies. That shit is killing me.
  • Options
    Sidiston said:
    ToKev said:
    @Relwoh

Incredibly optimistic. Everyone would be happier assuming they will not make the 2020 estimate. Give them a couple extra years and you won't be disappointed, but pleasantly surprised if they release before 2025. 
    Sadly if humanity has teach us anything past 20 years, never trust promises. Humans in general run in the wheel of insanity every day. We do the same things, and expect different results. Same goes for this game. We funnel funds, and hope it's something different from every other company out there. Definition of insanity. Hope is the only thing keeping us from jumping off of a cliff. And here ends my grim view of life :dizzy:
  • Options
    Just sit back and wait for the game of our dreams to be created. I would use Q4 2018 as a guesstimated date. If you back the game you should have at least hit 1 beta by then. 
  • Options
    tayale said:
    Look at it like a trip to Bangkok. You drop your cash on hookers and blow. Go back home, and 5 years later you get a nice surprise with that HIV diagnosis. So, compare Ashes to contracting HIV. You forget about when you dropped the cash, and BOOM, you will get a nice surprise down the line.
    What. The. Actual. Fuck. Dude?
    You do have a point though in your previous comment too.
    The people's hype is getting out of hand.. too much hype and it'll die very fast.
    When it does people will forget about this game even tho it looks promising and I bet the devs know about this now..
    I hope the devs keep our hype high for a long time without destroying our expectations for this project
  • Options
    When a game goes on kickstarter they should rename the "delivery date" to "The first lie" and leave it at that. No confusion or hurt feeling that way. I in no way insinuate that Intrepid went out of their way to lie to us but, well, the game will not release in that month, let alone that year. They could use "Best Guess" but you know people would hold onto that as truth also, so just call it a lie and be done.
  • Options
    tayale said:
    The people's hype is getting out of hand.. too much hype and it'll die very fast.
    When it does people will forget about this game even tho it looks promising and I bet the devs know about this now..
    They need to find a key factor how to keep the players' hype without destroying expectations in the future
  • Options
    tayale said:
    They need to find a key factor how to keep the players' hype without destroying expectations in the future
  • Options
    Why not speculate & hope devs might consider your idea ?  B)

• Options
    tayale said:
    That's some hillarious shit there!
  • Options
    tayale said:
    That's some hillarious shit there!