Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Armor Aesthetics..hoping something more realistic...

I do hope the art team, which by the way have been doing a stellar job from what we've seen so far, doesn't over due the armor appearance in game. So far they haven't, and what I mean by this is the armor that is WAY too big for anyone to even carry let alone do any sort of limited combat in (yes, I'm pointing all fingers at you WOW, but was actually started by Games Workshop in their 40K universe setting and fantasy setting). 
I'm not a fan of that...at all. You can still make VERY eye pleasing armor while keeping it functional, and not make it look like some mutated growth on a toon's shoulders. I'm also not a big fan of the over exaggerated weapons, you know the sword that is half as wide as a toons body and weighs three times what the toon weighs, but said toon swings it like it was a feather. Yeah, please art team don't do that...please?
Maybe it's just me, but does this bother anyone else here in the forums as much as it does myself? I'm curious to hear you thoughts on this...

Comments

• They won't.
    It not only looks better, but it also easier to make them like this way.

Also this is a game.
    If you would be realistically, armors aren't give much protection again most attacks, so you would not wear it in the first place, or you would be very limited if you wear it.

You see they are magic armors. They are enchanted, so they weight less and give you strength so you can wield them better.
    So it's 100% legit.
  • @Balrog21 I concede your point but the best course of action for Intrepid will be choice. Players have already expressed concern about skimpy armors and there are others who don't want the huge looking mobile tank armors and I think Intrepid must look at armor and think "choice". Where I hope Intrepid will be consistent is in their artwork so that any and all armors look realistic and not that they've been painted on my characters body. Unreal is a great engine and I'm sure the art team will capitalise on this.  
  • I kind of enjoy exaggerated aesthetics. I do not necessarily need it to be exaggerated, but I do like to be excited about how my gear looks. I can do with anything as long as the game is good and graphics look good in general.

Weapon aesthetics is more "important" to me than armors though. I like oversized weapons, or large weapons in general. It may seem ridiculous fighting a goblin with a weapon that is twice its size, but I feel like you need a big sword to hack up a big dragon. I love big bows. I like arrows that not just pierce my enemies, but literally skewer them. One thing I feel underrepresented in fictional media (games, comics, shows, etc) is a large crossbows. Like portable ballistas folds up and carry on the back of heroes. 

I don't think it's just me, and it's not just you, but I think you shouldn't let it bother you too much either way. 

:) 

• Balrog21 said:
    I do hope the art team, which by the way have been doing a stellar job from what we've seen so far, doesn't over due the armor appearance in game. So far they haven't, and what I mean by this is the armor that is WAY too big for anyone to even carry let alone do any sort of limited combat in (yes, I'm pointing all fingers at you WOW, but was actually started by Games Workshop in their 40K universe setting and fantasy setting). 
    I'm not a fan of that...at all. You can still make VERY eye pleasing armor while keeping it functional, and not make it look like some mutated growth on a toon's shoulders. I'm also not a big fan of the over exaggerated weapons, you know the sword that is half as wide as a toons body and weighs three times what the toon weighs, but said toon swings it like it was a feather. Yeah, please art team don't do that...please?
    Maybe it's just me, but does this bother anyone else here in the forums as much as it does myself? I'm curious to hear you thoughts on this...
    I think, from the trailers that have been released so far and from some of Steven's answers to questions that have raised after the community watched them, that the game will feature reasonable armours. They may not include fully realistic sets, though, but, so far, there is no proof that points to a cartoonish look, like WoW's

The only eventual discussion may be regarding revealing outfits, mostly female one, I guess. For that discussion ther's a long thread easily findable on this forum.
  • I this the classes look just right- not too cartoony nor too realistic
  • When it comes to armour/appearance i like to be able to see progression in someones attire and save the more fancy/"non realistic gear" for end game. 
  • I just hope they avoid the "Asian" style of female armour.  It's so f•cking stupid to see a female warrior running around in a g-string and stockings.
  • Don't know how many threads I have replied to about the same thing, saying the same stuff.
    Here goes; I do hope they DO include revealing, stylish outfits that looks good to the eye (note stylish, I wasn't talking simply skimpy, there's a fine difference). And I do hope they include heels (it's a high fantasy game, if you think that fighting in high heels is too far from reality, you most certainly will be shocked at other things they will include that could not work in real life).

And you know what? I DO hope they include realistic looking armours, plate armours that offer what people around here refer to as "full protection". Armour that does not show a patch of skin, because some people like that kind of style. And flat shoes for those who can't imagine their characters fighting in heels, which is completely fine!

So, you see the bottom line; options.
    I completely agree with both views. But, I hate when people say they hope that one style will be included, whilst the other one should not even be an option. Besides, Steven has already mentioned that they will be trying to cater to both styles.
  • MADE said:
    They won't.
    It not only looks better, but it also easier to make them like this way.

Also this is a game.
    If you would be realistically, armors aren't give much protection again most attacks, so you would not wear it in the first place, or you would be very limited if you wear it.

You see they are magic armors. They are enchanted, so they weight less and give you strength so you can wield them better.
    So it's 100% legit.
    Thats actually false. The reason full plate was so expensive back in the day was it was tailor made for each person which gave them excellent mobility on the field of battle so they weren't limited in movement are were considerably protected. 

The armor your thinking of a jousting armor and it was only used for that sport and was thicker and more cumbersome to protect vital areas from a lance. 
  • I do also like the more realistic looking gear. I am less concerned with whether a person could move effectively or would be weighed down but I do think that the more exaggerated and out of proportion the gear is, the more cartoony the game seems to look. I want to feel like a bad ass wizard or warrior not like a character from a Saturday morning cartoon for kids.
  • Given the fact that it's a fantasy game the realism doesn't need to be strictly upheld but WoW type armors with pauldrons the size of a chestplate would be ridiculous.