Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

A languages feature

I am only talking about in game races. Are we to assume we all speak a common tongue or will there be different languages spoken.
Like I always find it funny in space movies you land on a planet and they know how to speak English.
If there are going to be different languages can we have a system where we need to learn basic words so we can communicate better. We can also have more advanced books which add more words.
This is just a thought. 

Comments

  • Options
    Sounds like a good idea. They have a similar system in WoW but they deliberately made translation difficult. I think the idea as you suggest is better and more immersive.
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    Sounds like a good idea. They have a similar system in WoW but they deliberately made translation difficult. I think the idea as you suggest is better and more immersive.
    Thats the word I was looking for immersive. They always talk how xxxxxxxxx game is immersive as a sales or hype pitch but it never is.
  • Options
    EQ was :)
  • Options
    I really liked EQ's language system and how to learn others.  Language spam around the campfire anyone?
  • Options
    Many games have this features because of factions. As Ashes will not have factions, I'm not sure they will be doing this or not, but I always think it's a cool little feature. 
  • Options
    I'm hoping we all speak common but we have to rediscover how to read the ancient languages among the ruins and relics we encounter.
  • Options
    but the tulnar came from the underrealm and not the portals.so wouldn't they speak another language
  • Options
    Likely they speak common as well since they are descended from several races.
    Possibly a different dialect, similar to American, British and Australian English.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    Likely they speak common as well since they are descended from several races.
    Possibly a different dialect, similar to American, British and Australian English.
    Just a slight correction its Australian not Australian English.
    NoeSparks said:
    but the tulnar came from the underrealm and not the portals.so wouldn't they speak another language
    I agree with that after 2000 years the language would have changed a lot.
  • Options
    I agree that language features are a valued part of MMORPGs...I enjoyed it in the EQ franchise.
  • Options
    T-Elf said:
    I really liked EQ's language system and how to learn others.  Language spam around the campfire anyone?
    Those were great times.
  • Options
    Between players it should be common tongue. But for enemy NPC you could have different languages like in Everquest you just have to learn them. I'd rather have it all in common tongue though.
  • Options
    Different languages are an amazing idea. However, one must be able to learn these languages over time. Or study them, whatever. You could even make it a passive thing. You "hear" the language around you, and eventually you start to pick up words. And slowly, over time, you learn more and more words, until you can hold basic conversations ^^
  • Options
    Ariatras said:
    Different languages are an amazing idea. However, one must be able to learn these languages over time. Or study them, whatever. You could even make it a passive thing. You "hear" the language around you, and eventually you start to pick up words. And slowly, over time, you learn more and more words, until you can hold basic conversations ^^
    i like this idea

  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    NoeSparks said:
    but the tulnar came from the underrealm and not the portals.so wouldn't they speak another language
    Linguistic shift is a thing; it happens regionally, and it happens over time. A simple example is honor/honour; traveling/travelling; myriad/myriads ... all within the English language.

    So if we assume that all races except the Tulnar have been absent from this world for a very extended time, then we should also assume that languages have drifted; even dialects and regional differences, within the other eight races, should crop up.

    I think that, yes, in answer to your question, at the least the other eight races would speak a different language (or a different dialect that may be so radically changed that it seems another language). But I also find it viable to think that within the eight races, there will also be linguistic leftovers within the races from their time on the original world, as well as growing linguistic/dialectic changes during their exile.

    Interesting thought; have "zone" or "guild" or whatever chat be all one language; that's where we, the players, speak. But have /s be the different languages/dialects, which you can learn/unlock over time.
  • Options
    I think the lore can support whichever path they decide to pursue.
  • Options
    Personally I'd love to see a system in game to learn others tongues, because even if languages stem from a common root, theyll have shifted so much over the 2000+years , it'd be fun to also try to influence said languages based on different races facial physiology....

    But as others keep on pointing out, this is a magic world, and if the doctors Tardis can deal with the complexities of language I'm sure the god's can arrange it so everyone understands each other
  • Options
    I am all for the different races having languages, cause it means not only something that can be learned, but you could also make a guild that is of all Dwarves and those Dwarves may refuse to speak common.

    This means you have to go find another Dwarf to be a translator for you or-- you know-- learn Dwarven.

    I always loved language barriers in games. It made things always far more entertaining and interesting! (also yes, EQ did this beautifully on the RP Servers)
Sign In or Register to comment.