Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What are Ashes direct competitors due for release the same year?

By the time this game comes out there will be a few near players in competition.

To name a couple that are in development now and will possibly release around the same time:

• Camelot Unchained
  • Chronicles of Elyria
  • Amazon's New World
What do you think will be the major competitors around release time?

Comments

• Options
    While the trend seems to be towards full loot, full pvp gankfests, it is hard to tell. From the 3 you listed Camelot Unchained should be competing with Crowfall for the pvp bros. Chronicles doesn't have the full pvp aspect, but the pure sandbox with no pve elements beyond what the players create may lead to problems. And Amazon's just doesn't have enough info out there yet beyond 17th century sandbox. I try to keep up on what is up and coming regularly, but haven't seen anything in the works that is an actual MMO that has the PvX gameplay that Ashes is promising to deliver. So if done the way they have expressed to the community, it should be able to withstand anything else. Then again, maybe someone out there knows of some truly awesome game that is flying under the radar since they haven't decided to announce or crowdfund till they are further in development. None of this applies to single player titles of course. Cyberpunk 2077 has been quietly cooking away, expect that to make a splash around the same time as Ashes.
  • Options
    CU I have been following closely and it personally holds the most promise for me since it is being developed by the co-creator of DAoC, Mark Jacobs. He is 'borrowing' literally everything he possibly can from DAoC and then changing/adding to it. So there are 3 realms, 10 unique classes per realm and between 5-7 unique races per realm. They are focusing everything being geared towards PvP, separating crafting into it's own class and having a totally unique RvR system. Lot's of possibilities.

The other 2 I'm not so interested in because I prefer playing non-humans and neither will have that option (which is a definite negative for me)

Beyond that, CoE's life and death cycle doesn't appeal to me because I like building up and playing the same character, not that character's descendants.

And there isn't a whole lot of info on NW other than it's set in the 17th century with all those myths being real.
  • Options
    Probably Pantheon; Rise of the Fallen. It looks good & Devs also worked on a few similar titles.
  • Options
    Eragale said:
    Probably Pantheon; Rise of the Fallen. It looks good & Devs also worked on a few similar titles.
    Yeah, looks good, but I just can't get excited for what looks like horrible engine and graphics. It is early days of alpha though, so maybe it will get better. 
  • Options
    @UnknownSystemError
    I wouldn't be surprised if WoW released an " Expansion " when Ashes of Creation Releases. It won't affect me because i personally don't like WoW.

but I'm sure it might affect others. 
  • Options
    Same, a couple of the "big boys" have gotten their last bit of scratch from me. Bethesda and Blizzard. Not one thin dime, ever again.
  • Options
    I'm far from a fanboi for AoC, I like the ideas and I like the game, but I have my doubts. I am more of the I'll believe it when I see it type.
    On that note, I feel that Ashes has a lot of promise ( that I hope it fulfills), but I feel that is hits a certain target audience.
    Camelot Unchained, I can't with this game so please don't take my opinion. I have backed the game and I've had alpha access for quite some time, but I just cannot. 
    Chronicles of Elyria this game is too niche. I feel that they are aiming too far and turning a lot of people off. There are a lot of players that enjoy magic/casters, not to mention not many people want to constantly re-roll their characters. I think the two biggest turn offs for me was the survival elements and the real life prestige. I don't want to worry about when and where I log off and nor do I want to worry about people who feel like spending 1000s on the game. I need a break from games where I feel the need to spend money to progress in a virtual world. I've come to the middle ground that not everyone can spend 100s on something like a video game and when it seems like a necessity it turns a lot of players off. 
    Pantheon. This game. This game is so far off from Ashes and you would know this if you'd watch the videos on this game and read the information. This game is more of a role-playing game with slow progression. The devs have stated many times that their focus is not on PvP. They want slow progression with a strong focus on team work and group progression. 
  • Options
    What about Wild West Online?

http://www.mmorpg.com/wild-west-online

Hold there partners, you need to russel up some good MMOs I reckon, darn tootin'. 
  • Options
    Yeah, I hate Blizzard, every time a new games comes out that I want to play, they have to release a fricken expansion about the same time.
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    What about Wild West Online?

http://www.mmorpg.com/wild-west-online

Hold there partners, you need to russel up some good MMOs I reckon, darn tootin'. 
    Looks like one to watch. Beautiful concept graphics and screenshots, but depends on how many archetypes you can get in a non-fantasy, no magic setting. Good guy or bad guy as your only options would get tiring quick. Then again, maybe the have plans for dynamite throwing banditos, and of course along with the salon gambling will be the brothel mini-games.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    I don't really consider those games to be in competition with Ashes.
    They are in competition with each other, EQ and WoW.

EQNext would have been in competition with Ashes.

• Options
    None of these games get me excited like Ashes of creation does. Pantheon does look a bit interesting to me but it does not have nodes as far as I am aware.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    We do not really know anything about Amazons New World but I am curious what amazon will do with a game studio. 
  • Options
    Sintu said:
    We do not really no anything about Amazons New World but I am curious what amazon will do with a game studio. 

Money grab most likely, big corporate companies are generally more about the bottom line then creativity.
  • Options
    Sintu said:
    We do not really no anything about Amazons New World but I am curious what amazon will do with a game studio. 

Money grab most likely, big corporate companies are generally more about the bottom line then creativity.
    I'm actually thinking they may add their games to the growing list of Amazon Prime benefits.  They stand to gain more from getting people to become Prime members than they do from selling the game as a stand alone product.  Once you are a Prime member, you tend to do more with Amazon.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    " ... Pantheon. This game. This game is so far off from Ashes and you would know this if you'd watch the videos on this game and read the information. This game is more of a role-playing game with slow progression. The devs have stated many times that their focus is not on PvP. They want slow progression with a strong focus on team work and group progression. "
    Slow Progression sounds amazing tbh. I truly resent how Players want to rush through an MMO without exploring it - thats practically a " slap-in-the-face to Devs " . Plus I also like having my NPCs giving me a challenge & not dieing too quickly  - other MMOs have their NPCs die too easily and/or are " dumbed-down " - i love having to earn my level rather than my level given to me. I want a leveling experience ... where each level means something ... or maybe no Level-Cap to simply ignore Leveling-Up. But if Players are so focused on Leveling-up then you'll never enjoy it - it'll always feel like a chore.

Their emphasis on PvE is questionable, but I'm a mix of both tbh. The only thing i don't like about their design is how ... they might implement " Zone Load-in Areas " which doesn't appeal to me
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Camelot Unchained:
    A PvP only game is dead from the start, and that graphic looks garbage.

Chronicles of Elyria:
    Too realistic game play aren't fun for the masses, so it is sentenced to low player base from start. And aging character design maybe realistic, but aren't fun, neither will be as you need to pay each time you dye from aging, lol...
    Also this is a 2017 game, so it would be dead when Ashes will be released, so it aren't even a competitor.

Amazon's New World:
    lol amazon crafts a mmo. I didn't found much info from it, but since there are a big name behind it, it has the highest chance to become successful.

Interesting that everyone wants to create a mmo, where you can do what you want, build, develop your own stuff etc, but why? It's nice idea to do it, but in reality, what the masses want is game where there are stuff to do, a.k.a end content, which is continually updated. Sand box games only interests a small percent of players, so IMAO these games basically sentenced to dead from the start. They probably will run for 5-10year, but they won't be too papular, and they will be forgotten within a few month after release.

Also another laughable thing that they aren't even released yet, but they still have "awards" and they even push it on their front page...

• Options
    Possum said:
    Sintu said:

I'm actually thinking they may add their games to the growing list of Amazon Prime benefits.  They stand to gain more from getting people to become Prime members than they do from selling the game as a stand alone product.  Once you are a Prime member, you tend to do more with Amazon.
    Possum, that is my guess as well. 
  • Options
    Possum said:
    Sintu said:

Wouldn't that be about getting more money than being creative?

at the op I have yet to see anything currently in the works that come close to what Ashes is offering
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    MADE said:
    Camelot Unchained:
    I'm interested to know why you feel CU is DoA even though it still in alpha testing.

As for the graphics being "garbage"....no, the characters are not going to have bleeding edge detail/customization like BDO because you have to give up something to have 500 players on a battlefield at one time. Honestly, after a while playing, how absolutely detailed your character looked while zoomed in creating them will become secondary to the gameplay itself, imho.
  • Options
    MADE said:
    Camelot Unchained:
    I'm interested to know why you feel CU is DoA even though it still in alpha testing.

As for the graphics being "garbage"....no, the characters are not going to have bleeding edge detail/customization like BDO because you have to give up something to have 500 players on a battlefield at one time. Honestly, after a while playing, how absolutely detailed your character looked while zoomed in creating them will become secondary to the gameplay itself, imho.
    What do you think, in a MMO usually how much players play PvP and how much does PvE(or other)?

Hint it's like 20-80, PvP players are few with a great margin, building a MMO game purely on them is foolish.
    Just look at wow. Basically every true PvP player left it since expansions ago, and it still lives, the PvP player base is so low compared to others, that they can run a game for years without adding any real PvP improvement/content.
    That's why it's domed, PvP alone not going to keep a game in a healthy state. Even in eve, where there are close to zero PvE content, the whole game's back bone is not the PvP players, but the crafter/miner players, who farm and build. Not only cause they mine resource, but cause they are also buy the game time, so keep the game running. The few PvP players aren't going to create much profit.

And the 500 player battlefields aren't argument for crap graphic. They have every tool available to create scalable models, where the player can scale the models quality however they want. They can easily put a slider that would allow high end PC players to enjoy great graphic quality while the players with toaster can choice to watch stickmens.
    But yep, they are lazy, so they choice the easiest option, and use the high player number as a excuse. In reality there never will be any case where there will be 500player in vision range, even saying 100 is already much.

• Options
    Wow will always have something ready for release when any upcoming popular MMO is about to go live.
  • Options
    There was an interesting article about Amazon after their acquisition of Twitch.

In brainstorming exercises, rather than thinking what Amazon could do with Twitch, they reversed the thinking and imagined what Twitch would do if it bough out Amazon.
    With the wealth of ideas that sprung from that came the idea to build/design a MMORGP for Twitch!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    MADE said:
    MADE said:
    Camelot Unchained:

What do you think, in a MMO usually how much players play PvP and how much does PvE(or other)?

Hint it's like 20-80, PvP players are few with a great margin, building a MMO game purely on them is foolish.
    Just look at wow. Basically every true PvP player left it since expansions ago, and it still lives, the PvP player base is so low compared to others, that they can run a game for years without adding any real PvP improvement/content.
    That's why it's domed, PvP alone not going to keep a game in a healthy state. Even in eve, where there are close to zero PvE content, the whole game's back bone is not the PvP players, but the crafter/miner players, who farm and build. Not only cause they mine resource, but cause they are also buy the game time, so keep the game running. The few PvP players aren't going to create much profit.
    Actually it depends completely on the game you are playing what the % are.

And your comments show me there is a difference between basically thinking something is correct vs the actual reality of the situation.

I take it you don't play a lot pf games with PvP content because I can speak from experience and say that there is a reason WHY so many MMOs are built with PvP as one of its foundations. That's because a lot of people want it.

Now I'm not going to claim that a PvP centric game will be the next WoW killer but I think you have grossly underestimated what it takes to be "successful". Mark Jacobs fully agrees that the game will be a bit niche and will probably not pull in 4 million subs but to even have 250-500k subs would make CU very viable.

You also mention EVE and the fact that it's a PvP centric game but yet it was not doomed so why would CU be? If truly understood how CU was going to function you would know how truly ironic your statement about the backbone of the population not being PvPers is. 
    MADE said:
    And the 500 player battlefields aren't argument for crap graphic. They have every tool available to create scalable models, where the player can scale the models quality however they want. They can easily put a slider that would allow high end PC players to enjoy great graphic quality while the players with toaster can choice to watch stickmens.
    But yep, they are lazy, so they choice the easiest option, and use the high player number as a excuse. In reality there never will be any case where there will be 500player in vision range, even saying 100 is already much.

Again it's not "laziness" its speaking from the perspective of experience. I had the good fortune to play DAoC in it's heyday of well over 200k subs and the realm wars we had were EPIC. The problem was, once we got 100-200 people on screen at the same time your FPS would drop to 10 and it often became a slideshow. This was of course dealing with much older tech but even currently, trying to have 200+people in one place using intense graphical FX causes a significant FPS drop. ESO has PvP battles of 100-200 people on screen all the time and I would often take a dramatic FPS hit from 60 to 30 or less. It's too bad you have never experienced PvP battles with even 100+ players on screen at one time because it's a truly awesome sight to behold and participate in!

The fact is, trying to have high numbers of people on screen, all casting spells and doing other things while still maintaining a visually pleasing quality and keeping everyone (even those with high speed connections) at a rock solid 60+ FPS has been a very difficult feat to accomplish for ANYONE. So writing code from the ground up to have that many players on screen at one time is not "laziness". Don't believe me? Ask the Devs here at Intrepid just how difficult it is.
  • Options
    I have looked into all those other MMORPGs and really... Maybe Chronicles interested me and that is ONLY because of the growing old bit. The curse of playing MMORPGs as long as I have, however, is the fact most games-- even though you are willing to give them a shot-- get old quick and you start to realize they are the same rinse n' repeat genre.

I've also learned this about Video Games in general really.

Some of them do, however, do it better, and that is what makes them enjoyable, but others stick to close to the try and true formula and-- it gets old fast. Like as an example, I loved Elder Scrolls Morrowind-- but could never find another open world game that had a candle to it till Horizon Zero Dawn. I don't even count Skyrim as good as Morrowind.

My favorite shooter was actually Heretic-- all the up till the release of the DOOM 4.

As MMORPGs go, my best memories come from my first, which is EverQuest-- no MMORPG I have played, maybe outside of Istaria, Eve Online, and Final Fantasy XIV 1.0, have come close to debunking those memories where i can sit back and go "yeah... they done it better." No... They haven't. So, my hope is Ashes of Creation will and it will debunk ol' EQ from my memory where I can say "Yes. This is truly my new home." Instead of just being an MMORPG wandering star.

(PS - FFXIV 1.0 could have been that game, but it was plagued with massive lag issues. For all the complaining and bad reviews it got, I actually enjoyed its vastness and freedom... and I don't enjoy 2.0 as much... I just stick to it cause of a few individuals I know and the fact I get discounted sub price)
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Eragale said:
    @UnknownSystemError
    I wouldn't be surprised if WoW released an " Expansion " when Ashes of Creation Releases. It won't affect me because i personally don't like WoW.

but I'm sure it might affect others. 
    AoC > WoW. I think Bliz just needs to scrap WoW and create another game like maybe WoW 2 with an updated graphics engine, game play, combat, and more to do while leveling. They could also make a more engaging story line as well.

I think Star Citizen might be coming out around that time, but I'm not sure.