Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Slow Progression Please

If there's a Level-Cap, Slow Level Progression

If there's no Level-Cap ... then that might be better 
( ・ิω・ิ)

Comments

• Options
    There is no definitive answer at the moment for a level cap and how long it will take you to get there.

Basically a node levels up depending on the amount of activity the community does in the corresponding area - and with that the mobs scale with the node level- so levelling wont be linear - and depending on where your citizenship lies your progression may be slow or quick. 

Also your religion, crafting social activities etc will contribute to your characters progression xD
  • Options
    Diura said:
    There is no definitive answer at the moment for a level cap and how long it will take you to get there.

Basically a node levels up depending on the amount of activity the community does in the corresponding area - and with that the mobs scale with the node level- so levelling wont be linear - and depending on where your citizenship lies your progression may be slow or quick. 

Also your religion, crafting social activities etc will contribute to your characters progression xD
    Ah. Progress!  Turn right at the next crossroad,  saunter down the lane to the water's edge. Plunge in and swim till you reach land.  Your destination is 5k miles west!
  • Options
    They have said there will be a level cap, they haven't confirmed what it is yet though. But Steven did mention that he wants it to take more than a month or two to get your Max level. So I am going to guess it will be slow going lol
  • Options
    Zastro said:
    They have said there will be a level cap, they haven't confirmed what it is yet though. But Steven did mention that he wants it to take more than a month or two to get your Max level. So I am going to guess it will be slow going lol
    Slow is good.  Too much gets missed otherwise.  Well the wise will try not to miss things. lol 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    I completely agree. The game should never "start" at "endgame". Honestly, there really should not even be an endgame. The leveling experience should be an adventure like tabletop D&D, not something to rush through. And once you hit Max level your adventure continues but maybe now you can do some of the harder content that your weaker character couldn't do before. But all levels should be engaging.
  • Options
    Zastro said:
    I completely agree. The game should never "start" at "endgame". Honestly, there really should not even be an endgame. The leveling experience should be an adventure like tabletop D&D, not something to rush through. And once you hit Max level your adventure continues but maybe now you can do some of the harder content that your weaker character couldn't do before. But all levels should be engaging.
    That is one of WoW greatest flaws. You have lvl 1 to 110 with no engaging content. Its just a grind to get to 100 so you can at least do the Current expansion's content.

I have a feeling AoC will not have this problem.
  • Options
    ^^ That's why I like GW2, doesn't matter what level you are, you can always quest in all zones, so they never feel empty, not until you hit 100% world completion, and even then there's more going on.
  • Options
    Eragale said:

( ・ิω・ิ)
    Approved 200%. I'm tired of those MMOs were low level areas are just empty desert and you need to ask left and right for a kind soul to help you out for a dungeon or a boss. >.>
  • Options
    That's wicked hard to regulate.
    Eve Online had it figured out with time-based progression
    as opposed to grind-based. However, bother have their downside.

For Grind-based progression, the guy that can afford to play 12 hours
    per day is obviously going to level up "faster" than the person who only
    gets a few hours per day. But if you put a penalty on the 12-hour guy,
    just to slow him down, he's less likely to stay with your game. I mean,
    what the point of playing when it starts to feel like you're not progressing
    yet putting in the hours.

The Time-based progression means everyone levels up at exactly the
    same rate, which sounds fair and awesome. But it also means the person
    coming to the game late will NEVER catch up, and that can suck the Will 
    right out of you.
  • Options
    tylerr385 said:

That is one of WoW greatest flaws. You have lvl 1 to 110 with no engaging content. Its just a grind to get to 100 so you can at least do the Current expansion's content.
    The content in WoW, during Vanilla, and BC, and into Wrath, was actually engaging. But it was during the transition from BC to Wrath that "endgame" became a thing and yes, the content I so lovingly remember is just a "skip this part, kill shite, level up" experience for people now.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @Rabbit_Games

I would like for each level to have depth - for each level to actually have meaning . If i were to be at Level 1 ... that doesn't mean I'll be weak & insufficient - I probably could have , focused more  on a particular Artisan Exp,  and thus allows me to have access of different items
    (Duly note, the term, " Artisan ", is broad and could be any Artisan ... Really hoping crafting is in-depth)

Or ... I could have focused more on my Abilities Exp, and thus have effectiveness in my skills or maybe. ... I could focused on Treasure Hunting, etc ...

(I'm hoping XP to be separate from one another)

In Short,  diversity & Uniqueness for each level ... and each EXP will still increase at a slow-like pace. Regardless of how much time  is put into it. True, the effort will show , but they'll still be options to choose from. 

The effort put into it will show, but that'll never mean that you`re at a Guaranteed advantage of a low-level. It just means you took a different path

• Options
    edited July 2017
    @Rabbit_Games

And that's coming from the mindset of Players who rush towards Level-Cap ... thinking endgame is all there is too it

There's more to that than just Leveling-up. Even if you have more time for it, slow progression is ideal. But when you look at the MMO as a whole (so far ) .... Everything is connected. An that mindset won't fit with this type of MMO - please discard it  :s

Because if it is like that ... It won't be good

But I doubt that it will ; in order to get more quests, a node would have to be established - and that requires some assistance but which node ¿ 

EDITED: Which region will the Node be built ? and how far away is that node from the Starting Zone(s), How far away is that node from the other Nodes ?

I'm still hoping each Node Area is as big as " DarkFall: Rise of Agon’s Map " - where it's roughly 4 hours to reach to end of the Region via mount 

Hence: Each Node's ZOI being at least 4 hours of travel distance

Including the Open-World PvP - there's much to consider - and I'm highly confident that rushing level-cap won't Be a thing (if there's a level-cap at all )
  • Options
    Eragale said:

( ・ิω・ิ)
    People will grind and grind and grind regardless of what you or I want/do. With dynamic progression it'll probably be easier to play the game without getting bogged down by the notion of hitting "end game" but have no doubt, there'll be those who'll book leave off work so that they can blitz as far as possible and others will get left behind. Tis the nature of a persistent universe, but I too hope that all enjoy everything the game has to offer, and that folks don't need to get hung up about being Level X, although a cap is likely imo.
  • Options
    re-read my previous comment ... i really hate typing on Phone  :s
  • Options
    I rather enjoyed leveling in SWTOR. It was mostly story based quests that had a purpose. Plus you always wanted to push forward to see the next chapter of the story. I hope leveling is like that in this game. 
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    " I rather enjoyed leveling in SWTOR. It was mostly story based quests that had a purpose. Plus you always wanted to push forward to see the next chapter of the story. I hope leveling is like that in this game. "
    SWTOR  gives additional EXP for doing only Main-Class Stories, while the side quests can literally be ignored. I remember when i had to actually earn my Level in that MMO. Each Planet feels like a Leveling Zone. 
    (i.e. Planets has a " recommended Level ")

SWTOR has many planets to work with and Ashes has 1 planet, yet ... Ashes feels bigger than SWTOR. in short,  I'd rather for Ashes to not be anything like that   :'(:'( 
  • Options
    Isende said:
    tylerr385 said:

The content in WoW, during Vanilla, and BC, and into Wrath, was actually engaging. But it was during the transition from BC to Wrath that "endgame" became a thing and yes, the content I so lovingly remember is just a "skip this part, kill shite, level up" experience for people now.
    Yup. That's when WOW lost me, after Wraith. In vanilla wow was awesome. Every area meant something. It took time to get around. 
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    My overall impression from what I have watched or read is that reaching the "cap" will take around 45 days. Zones will NOT become dead zones, because similar to games like Witcher 3 there are going to be a mix of level mobs in a zone. Maybe you are just smacking the hell out of that goblin tribe, run around a bend in the road, right into a cyclops 10 levels higher than you. Since what unlocks on a server is random based on node progression there will be no "endgame" as you traditionally look at it. Higher/harder content will unlock over time and will be server specific. Dungeons and world boss raids will appear and disappear over time, lending to a sense of urgency to experience them before they disappear.
  • Options
    Giving  alternate avenues to level out will mitigate some of the grindiness that one might feel. It seems that Intrepid is going to make all aspects of the game meaningful so one may infer that that will extend to the paradigm of leveling out. I hope that I never feel that need to cap out as fast as possible, if that is the case then they have failed to deliver the game we all are anticipating imo. 
  • Options
    Eragus said:
    Giving  alternate avenues to level out will mitigate some of the grindiness that one might feel. It seems that Intrepid is going to make all aspects of the game meaningful so one may infer that that will extend to the paradigm of leveling out. I hope that I never feel that need to cap out as fast as possible, if that is the case then they have failed to deliver the game we all are anticipating imo. 
    Especially with a new game -- How can the discovery/exploration/etc be grindy? No doubt, it'll feel that on my Army of Alts, but initially? I hope not!
  • Options
    Eragale said:
    @Rabbit_Games

I would like for each level to have depth - for each level to actually have meaning . If i were to be at Level 1 ... that doesn't mean I'll be weak & insufficient - I probably could have , focused more  on a particular Artisan Exp,  and thus allows me to have access of different items
    (Duly note, the term, Artisan, is broad and could be any Artisan ... Really hoping crafting is in-depth)

Or ... I could have focused more on my Abilities Exp, and thus have effectiveness in my skills or maybe. ... I could focused on Treasure Hunting, etc ...

(I'm hoping XP to be separate from on another)

In Short,  diversity & Uniqueness for each level ... and each EXP will still increase at a slow-like pace. Regardless of how much time  is put into it. True, the effort will show , but they'll still be options to choose from. 

The effort put into it will show, but that'll never mean that you`re at a Guaranteed advantage of a low-level. It just means you took a different path

@Eraqale - I absolutely agree here! Perfectly put!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Isende said:
    Eragus said:
    Especially with a new game -- How can the discovery/exploration/etc be grindy? No doubt, it'll feel that on my Army of Alts, but initially? I hope not!
    I had that same basic thought.....there is hope that raising alts won't involve super repetitive quests etc. I can't go through doing the "main quest" 8 times just to be able to play with different playstyles. I believe the nature of the game will make raising alts less grindy......and maybe, dare I say......Fun?!?!
  • Options
    Eragale said:
    " I rather enjoyed leveling in SWTOR. It was mostly story based quests that had a purpose. Plus you always wanted to push forward to see the next chapter of the story. I hope leveling is like that in this game. "
    SWTOR  gives additional EXP for doing only Main-Class Stories, while the side quests can literally be ignored. I remember when i had to actually earn my Level in that MMO. Each Planet feels like a Leveling Zone. 
    (i.e. Planets has a " recommended Level ")

SWTOR has many planets to work with and Ashes has 1 planet, yet ... Ashes feels bigger than SWTOR. in short,  I'd rather for Ashes to not be anything like that   :'(:'( 
    I wasn't referring to the map when I was talking about the lvling. I think everyone on here can agree we don't want level specific areas as they tend to become ghost towns once people level out of them. 

I was referring to the story driven quests you go through as you level. I personally like the fact that I can ignore the side quests as they tend to be a bunch of filler ( go collect 6 chickens) which really makes the game boring in my opinion. So by allowing players to level up solely on story quests you also leave the option open for people to do side quests should they choose. That is giving the players a choice and from the comments I've read across multiple threads that seems to be what a majority of the community wants. 
  • Options
    I think something like this (below) would be reasonable for most players.Depending on the individuals this might seem like a lot of playtime, but I bet most of us will spent way more time than this in the game ;)

Total time to reach level 50:

https://i.imgur.com/M8V1Wm3.png

Increment per level:

https://i.imgur.com/zk2fjSz.png

Details:

https://i.imgur.com/CrI39Q2.png

• Options
    The easiest way to have slow progression without penalizing is to have horizontal expansion. This is usually done with adding classes, weapons, and adding different ways to play. Maybe add a small level cap and just add a lot of things to play and content to complete. Have tons of cross class abilities.

Personally I'd rather level up individual classes to a short cap and try out many ways to play rather than raise one class to a high cap. The worse thing you could do is pull a ffxiv (good game despite the grind) and add high caps to all your classes.
  • Options
    I don't necessarily need slow progression, what would be nice is more horizontal leveling than vertical
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I agree with Loyheta and Maquiame.
    More important for me to steadily gain new abilities and/or augments than to vertically rise to Level 50+ power.
    I would prefer to have shallow vertical progression and wide horizontal progression.

I'd rather vertical progression not be so high that we're one-shotting Level 10s.
  • Options
    I'd like to see if they can get creative and implement a no "hard" level cap system but potentially a "soft" cap where progression is greatly slowed (similar to BDO).

Always having a progression goal just feels good as a player. Being a level 50 in a level 50 cap game just feels bland because shortly into the games life everyone is that level and hardcore players don't feel as rewarded. 

The generic start at level 1, level cap at ~50 system is pretty boring imo and it always feels like levels 1-49 is just a long "tutorial". I always tell my friends in those games that, "The game doesn't really begin until you're 50". Obviously they might be able to pull it off so it doesn't, but most games with leveling systems like that don't pull it off well.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I would prefer sub progressions for each new skills to be vertical and limited.
    I would prefer the main progression to be horizontal and eternal sum of sub progressions.
    Then everyone can clearly see who the veterans are without getting wrecked by ever escalating buffs, simply because they played the game longer and dont need skill anymore.

• Options
    I don't want it to be an super easy thing to lvl, as it can be a breeze in some MMO's. But I also do not want it to be a "no-lifer" game. Especially since pvp is suppose to be big in this game.