Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Skill/spell effects

i haven't played a game in a long time, well for that matter only one that had the option to change the color of particle and skill effects to further your class customization.  as i don't care much for the fluffy bunny of the classes they have talked about and shown so far, if those end up being all they have available, I would request the capability to change the color of my skill fx to be tailored to my characters theme.

for example:
I just made a dragonoid looking tulnar that has an undead feel to it with this fantastic character creator they offer...doh all the magic skill look like goody-2-shoes or generic and i wanted him to be a ranged caster type....thus with being able to change the fire to a putrid green or the lightning to a deep purple, etc, it would bring a lot to the table for thematic purposes.  this is just a generic lame example but it goes even further....weapon skills...the slash on your 2h sword is a whitish/yellowish...but i want it reddish or blueish....things like this all over the place.

this has been done before in a cheap, fairly crappy super hero mmo so i don't understand why others haven't thought of it.  it's not some fantastic feat of engineering, but it is huuuge for character customization and aesthetics.  

Motto of the day: let's have player characters with character.

Comments

• Options
    It would be cool if they did this, but I feel it would be something they add once the game is near completion as it is just a cosmetic feature. But like I said, would be neat :)
  • Options
    I would hope at some point we have the option to change the lighting effects we see from spells and such. Many have eye sight problems that are effected by flashes of light or different colors.  
    Your idea sounds cool though.  
  • Options
    Since their backup monetization is themed around a cosmetic store, I could really see them digging into this. I would drop a few bucks to get a 'toxic green skulls' spell fx replacement, for sure. 

As far as letting us customize them a la city of heroes? I doubt they will do down that road... but I can definitely see them adding alternate fx packs to the store.
  • Options
    Mackizar said:
    Since their backup monetization is themed around a cosmetic store, I could really see them digging into this. I would drop a few bucks to get a 'toxic green skulls' spell fx replacement, for sure. 

As far as letting us customize them a la city of heroes? I doubt they will do down that road... but I can definitely see them adding alternate fx packs to the store.

Especially since Kickstarter backers already get special ability skins. So we know it's something they can do
  • Options
    I like the idea.  But I can see where it might cause some problems with people who are into PvP.  For many, the visual cue is how they identify what spell someone is casting.  Change the visual cue and many people won't recognize it.

I'm not really into PvP and I would love to see your suggestion implemented.  I'm just pointing out one possible reason why they might not.
  • Options
    Possum said:
    I like the idea.  But I can see where it might cause some problems with people who are into PvP.  For many, the visual cue is how they identify what spell someone is casting.  Change the visual cue and many people won't recognize it.

I'm not really into PvP and I would love to see your suggestion implemented.  I'm just pointing out one possible reason why they might not.
    I often see this comment with respect to transmogs in PvP and wonder why it can't be handled by having a different display for other people in a PvP environment. For example everyone else sees your actual gear and spell animations but on your screen it appears however you have customized it. 
  • Options
    Sidiston said:
    Possum said:

I often see this comment with respect to transmogs in PvP and wonder why it can't be handled by having a different display for other people in a PvP environment. For example everyone else sees your actual gear and spell animations but on your screen it appears however you have customized it. 

The entire game is a pvp environment though...