Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Hello, and a question

Hi,
I'm currently considering to purchase the lifetime package. There's only one last concern left for me in this:
What are the chances of this game getting Linux support after the release? (I'm aware that the game will be Windows only at the release) Hardware is upgradeable, and in worse case I'll just upgrade sooner then planned. But if it'll not come for my OS, I see little incentive to invest money here.
I've just quit another MMORPG, that I've played for 11 years, and looking for a new one to settle in. AoC have almost everything that I'm looking for, except this one uncertainty. I'm not asking at this stage for a definite yes/no answer, all I want to know is if I can hope to see this game running natively in Linux. 

Comments

• Options
    Welcome @Neyasyt :) Intrepid haven't ruled out Linux support, but since they are a small studio where they focus their efforts will most likely be guided by market demand. The good news is that Unreal Engine 4 does support the Linux platform, so the effort of doing this will be within the realms of feasibility :)
  • Options
    Welcome @Neyasyt! But yeah, @lexmax's answer pretty much covers what we have heard from Intrepid.
  • Options
  • Options
    Welcome!  I would be shocked if it is supported by Linux.  
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    they are a small studio
    Can it be expanded then? I have not developed games before, but I do have about 5 years of experience in writing GIS software and managing a Linux server. And switching into a games industry can be a nice change. If anything, then at least they'll not forget about Linux with me in the team :)

And thanks all :)
  • Options
    Welcome to the community. Hope you have fun on the forum.
  • Options
    Welcome to the community, @Neyasyt!

Just a thought, but what about running your PC with a dual boot to play your games that don't support Linux?
  • Options
    Possum said:
    Welcome to the community, @Neyasyt!

Just a thought, but what about running your PC with a dual boot to play your games that don't support Linux?
    Last time I dual booted was when Windows XP was a current one.
    Windows 10 is not going anywhere near my PC (despite the option of installing it for free) due to all privacy/telemetry issues it has.
    Anyways, it is possible to launch windows application via Wine, but with new software (like this one) there is no chance to tell beforehand whether it'll work well, if at all.
    I'm also planning to run the alpha and beta versions via Wine, if I'll buy the package.
    But again, with unreleased software it's a gambling if it'll work.
    And without proper support from the developers it'll be a gamble with every update/patch.
  • Options
    Hello @Neyasyt o/ and welcome to the community smile
  • Options
    Welcome to the Community @Neyasyt
  • Options
    So... I guess I'll write a conclusion to this thread. 
    I haven't bought the game for now - it's usually hard to persuade me to prepursase anything, especially when it's not definite whether it'll work at my system. I don't think I had enough reasoning for making an exception here. 
    I'll be leaving for now, but will definitely check the game when it'll go public. 
    Until then... Bye and have fun testing :smile:
  • Options
    Welcome to the forum! *throws confetti*
This discussion has been closed.